Loch Arkaig Ospreys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lee birtwistle 01 Jun 2020

Hi all

If you need a little COVID relief (I think we all do)

Check out the Loch Arkaig webcam. I've been watching this for the last month instead of the news (or lack of informative news)

One of the eggs has hatched this morning. Two more to go

Enjoy.

Post edited at 10:35
 Harry Jarvis 01 Jun 2020
In reply to lee birtwistle:

I've been watching them too, in lieu of my usual viewing of the Loch of the Lowes ospreys, who appear to have gone awol this year. I think this morning's hatchling was the second one, so just one more to go. 

Post edited at 10:38
mick taylor 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

I'm sure I once read somewhere that the grip on their talons is naturally so tight (the tendons are highly strung, if that makes sense) so as to cling onto those fish, that it has been known for a massive fish to drown the Osprey because its hard for them to let go.  I guess once the feathers get too wet then the Ospreys mass increases to an extent it wouldn't be too hard for a big trout to pull it under.

malk 01 Jun 2020

thanks for the reminder. how often are fish brought in? there was a one @4:30 this morning for the single chick but male returned to carry it off again to eat itself or store for later?

Phil1919 01 Jun 2020

On the same note, I've really been enjoying Springwatch.

Matt Podd 01 Jun 2020

I'm following the Clywedog ospreys in Wales. Great therapy in lockdown. We would normally visit them and observe in the flesh/feather, this is the first year they have had a live stream camera.

jonfun21 01 Jun 2020

Thanks - good one here as well for Rutland Water 

https://www.lrwt.org.uk/wildlife/rutland-ospreys

Andy Johnson 01 Jun 2020

I've often had this on my second screen while I've been working at home these last few months. Really heartening to see these incredible birds.

And man I wish I was out there again. The sunshine and the quiet, and the smell of the trees and heather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...