Limestone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 02 Sep 2018

A quick geology question please. Can anyine tell me in general terms when limestone was formed. I presume it depends where it is. In this case Malta.

We're on hols in Malta at the moment and have seen places like the Blue Grotto etc.  I am marvelling at how long the caves must have taken to form  and how long the rock would have been there before that.

Fascinating stuff

cander 02 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

The deposits were laid down 30 to 25 million years ago in the Oligocene to late Miocene, the island was pushed to the surface about 10 million years ago by the collision of the African and Eurasian tectonic plates. The rocks will have been subject to weathering, erosion and solution since then.

Removed User 02 Sep 2018

Many thanks for that.

Doug 02 Sep 2018

but as you suggested, limestones can be of varying ages, at least as far back as the Cambrian (eg Durness limestones, circa 500 million years ago)

cander 02 Sep 2018
In reply to Doug:

Not in Malta they can’t 

Doug 02 Sep 2018
In reply to cander:

didn't say they were, but in general they do vary in age

Removed User 02 Sep 2018
In reply to cander and Doug:

Does make you realise how short our time on Earth is, both individually and as a species not to mention how long the limestone formations as we see them today must have taken to form and how many tiny creatures there must have been.

Post edited at 20:29
 cander 02 Sep 2018

It was all done in a week

Removed User 02 Sep 2018
In reply to cander:

> It was all done in a week

And to think some people believe that!

felt 02 Sep 2018

But there was that short weekend.

Removed User 03 Sep 2018

Today we did the War Rooms having already been to the museum at Fort St. Elmo.

Incredible admiration fir how the Maltese stood up in the face of adversity and what a sight it must have been when the relief convoy eventually arrived.

Philip 03 Sep 2018
In reply to cander:

> It was all done in a week

It's all down to project management. Clearly God had it all sorted. Noah on the other hand, slacker, from a quick Google it seems he took about 50 years to build the ark, having squandered the first 50 after the notice of intended flooding.

Then, clearly with a rocket up his arse from him up there, he fills the thing in 7 days. No wonder he forgot to load the dinosaurs.

Hence all the limestone. Don't forget, you only find fossils of dead animals - proof of the flood.

cander 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

I’d be surprised to find fossils of live ones. There are naturally abundant fossils of plants as well.

In reply to cander:

Can you be more specific?

cander 03 Sep 2018
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

About what?

In reply to cander:

It was a joke. Your response was fabulously detailed and very informative.

cander 07 Sep 2018
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

I’m a geologist ... being fabulous is just part of the training

Blanche DuBois 08 Sep 2018

> And to think some people believe that!

That's nothing - some people believe all of space and matter was created in a fraction of a second, something like 10^-43s.  If that were true, imagine what someone of ability (such as God) could accomplish in seven days!

johncook 08 Sep 2018
In reply to cander:

It had to be to keep up with Gay's new routing!

MonkeyPuzzle 08 Sep 2018
In reply to johncook:

Whose new routing?!

johncook 13 Sep 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Apologies to Gary Gibson. Tired eyes and fat thumbs are my excuse!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...