Like/dislike button banner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 24 Oct 2020

The recent thread about this buttons got me thinking: Every time there is a like/dislike button thread, there are a number of people who are thrilled to find out they can be turned off somewhere buried in the settings nobody ever looks at.

I think it would improve the user experience if this choice was made obvious on a one-off for every user. Coincidentally there is a banner for every user saying "please reset your password".

Wouldn't it be a good idea to give every user a one-off banner which says "like/dislike buttons" and offers "keep on" or "turn off" or "turn off dislike only"?

aln 24 Oct 2020
In reply to henwardian:

> "turn off dislike only"?

How about an option to keep them, and turn off the likes? For people who enjoy pissing everyone off. 

OP henwardian 24 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

> How about an option to keep them, and turn off the likes? For people who enjoy pissing everyone off. 

I think I'd rather people like that used a different forum altogether :P

Cobra_Head 26 Oct 2020
In reply to henwardian:

Disliked, liked and liked, in that order.

work that out

ps people should be able to work out how to switch them off, or God forbid, post a question on how to do it, there's plenty of helpful people who will point them in the right direction, I'm sure.

OP henwardian 26 Oct 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

In my view it's mainly a question of not _knowing_ that it is possible to turn it off. As I said in my op, every time there is a thread about the buttons you see people being surprised that they can be turned off at all.

DenzelLN 26 Oct 2020
In reply to henwardian:

No more banners please.

Lost half the bloody screen as it is with the password thing and the 'become a supporter'.

Both of which I ignore.

In reply to DenzelLN:

We made the Supporter banner as easily dismissible as possible. It's not a requirement of using the site.

The password banner will only be dismissed by changing your password though:

If you have an issues with the reset please drop me an email paul at ukclimbing.com

Cobra_Head 28 Oct 2020
In reply to henwardian:

> In my view it's mainly a question of not _knowing_ that it is possible to turn it off. As I said in my op, every time there is a thread about the buttons you see people being surprised that they can be turned off at all.

People don't know lots of things.

For instance they don't know there's a search function that can display a list of topics previously discussed many times before.

Post edited at 23:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...