Lets be kind to one another.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Slackboot 13 Dec 2019

The history of mountaineering expeditions has had its share of disagreements and fall- outs. As well as some truly great stories of cooperation and mutual support. At a time when this country seems like an expedition thats falling apart lets be kind to each other.

john arran 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

If you're looking for a climbing analogy, then Maestri has just been awarded the Piolet d'Or for his ascent of the Compressor Route

nikoid 13 Dec 2019
In reply to john arran:

I think your post rather goes against the grain of what Slackboot was suggesting!

Alyson 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

A lovely post on a rather depressing morning. Thank you x

OP Slackboot 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Alyson:

You are welcome 😢

john arran 13 Dec 2019
In reply to nikoid:

> I think your post rather goes against the grain of what Slackboot was suggesting!

Yes I know, sorry. It's that kind of a morning though

nikoid 13 Dec 2019
In reply to john arran:

Thanks for the gracious response. Cheers.

fred99 13 Dec 2019
In reply to john arran:

> Yes I know, sorry. It's that kind of a mourning though

Fixed that for you.

Derek Furze 13 Dec 2019
In reply to fred99:

At least humour's not dead yet

bouldery bits 14 Dec 2019
In reply to Alyson:

> A lovely post on a rather depressing morning. Thank you x

Nice to see you back in these parts. You're one of the good ones!

In reply to Slackboot:

You know what mate? You're right. Let's be excellent to each other. 

You should treat yourself to some really nice running shoes. Splash the cash

Get some Inov8 G series shoes. They look weapon.  

Post edited at 00:10
In reply to bouldery bits:

I don’t know about this. Personally when I saw Johnson call for the healing to start I wanted someone to hit him over the head with a baseball bat and the words ‘Heal that, you ****’.

jcm

In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Bring it in for a hug John

Dewi Williams 14 Dec 2019

Parhaps slackboot is Johnson in disguise, now typing away in no10

OP Slackboot 14 Dec 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

> You should treat yourself to some really nice running shoes. Splash the cash

>  Get some Inov8 G series shoes. They look weapon.  

I will check them out 😊

Robert Durran 14 Dec 2019

Yesterday the kids in one of my classes asked me what I thought of Johnson. I told them that because of the incalculable damage he had done to the country I would struggle to be upset if someone put a bullet in his head. One of them told me that the election result could not have been better. I am now awaiting parental complaints about incitement to violence........

fred99 15 Dec 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

> …. I would struggle to be upset if someone put a bullet in his head. ........

I for one would be upset if they did - he needs to go far more slowly and painfully.

Trevers 15 Dec 2019

> Yesterday the kids in one of my classes asked me what I thought of Johnson. I told them that because of the incalculable damage he had done to the country I would struggle to be upset if someone put a bullet in his head. One of them told me that the election result could not have been better. I am now awaiting parental complaints about incitement to violence........

Christ, those are thoughts you oughtn't share with a class full of kids.

FactorXXX 15 Dec 2019

In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

> Your a teacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Standards have dropped and some

You're not your.
Standards have certainly dropped...

Robert Durran 15 Dec 2019
In reply to Trevers:

> Christ, those are thoughts you oughtn't share with a class full of kids.

Possibly, which is why I would not be entirely surprised if there were complaints. However, I worded it carefully - just because one struggles with something, does not mean one will not succeed. For example me on a climb, or the kids with their maths.

ElArt 15 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

Yes, let’s be ready to Spot that someone on a Highball, ready to share how we did a route when needed and just smile at peeps at the Crag.

Turn from those thoughts of sandbagging. Ignore that compulsion to push your mate in off the viewing ledge or even give out entirely wrong beta just because it’s funny. Be the bigger climber even when it’s not funny 😘 

birdie num num 15 Dec 2019

Yes I agree. I think you should do it.

Gone for good 16 Dec 2019
In reply to the Thread:

There's some right bitter nasty bastards on here. Time for a few of you to drop the hatred. Shooting people in the head?? Smacking them aboutwith a baseball bat??And you're respectable citizens????

SenzuBean 16 Dec 2019

> Yesterday the kids in one of my classes asked me what I thought of Johnson. I told them that because of the incalculable damage he had done to the country I would struggle to be upset if someone put a bullet in his head. One of them told me that the election result could not have been better. I am now awaiting parental complaints about incitement to violence........

Have some restraint. You'll achieve much more if you pepper in new words here and there, like 'demagogue' (encourage them to look up what that means) than if you play your 'hand' at once.

Robert Durran 16 Dec 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

> There's some right bitter nasty bastards on here.

Bitter, but not as nasty as the bastard we now have running the country.

> Time for a few of you to drop the hatred.

I'll do that if and when Johnson uses the enormous power which his lies have brought him to square the circles of those lies. I hope he does, though I'm not holding my breath. In a curious sort of way I wish him well because we really are screwed if it goes as badly as seems likely.

Post edited at 07:50
 Niall_H 16 Dec 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

> you're respectable citizens????

More importantly, is the focus of their ire a respectable citizen?

birdie num num 16 Dec 2019
In reply to Niall_H:

The problem with being a public servant these days, is the number of folk on the internet who suggest that you should be bludgeoned for your opinions.... By somebody else.

freeflyer 17 Dec 2019
In reply to thread:

Give Robert a break. Be excellent - for two reasons.

Firstly in the spirit of the OP's post.

Secondly because, actually, kids have brains, and can figure out stuff for themselves. If there is any kind of decent relationship going on in his classroom, I would expect a fair bit of 'push-back' on a remark like that, and a chance of a good discussion thereafter, if properly led.

I get irritated by the anti-religion brigade et al, who assume our children can be brainwashed by adults with the wrong views, and instead, want to brainwash them with their right views. Please give the children a chance to decide for themselves. That is what education is.

henwardian 17 Dec 2019

You must be pretty close to early retirement by now, guessing you don't worry too much about GTCS disciplinary panels 😀

In reply to lots of other people:

Sounds like lots of y'all have a wholly unrealistic impression of antiseptic the learning in schools is! It varies a lot from school to school and teacher to teacher but random little asides on the nature of infinity, the limits of the meaning of length, the biological classification of superheroes, the ethics of plastic surgery, how to lie effectively, etc etc crop up every day. Great way to make sure students know that sometimes there is no right answer, that many points of view can be valid, etc etc. Also, it's a great way to stop teachers turning into insufferable know-it-alls by regularly taking us out of the curriculum we know back to front and into considering things we genuinely don't know or even things that can't be known.

OP Slackboot 17 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

Kids love to get insights into their teachers personalities....

The scene: a class of 7 year olds in a tough area. Monday morning.The harassed teacher is sitting at a desk covered in different piles of money. School trip money,sponsor money,dinner money. Children line up next to the desk en route for Assembly....... Small hands creep towards the different money piles.

Teacher: (without looking up) 'touch that and you die!'.

The message is passed back down the line. The kids love it.

Post edited at 03:06
 Robert Durran 17 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

> You must be pretty close to early retirement by now, guessing you don't worry too much about GTCS disciplinary panels 😀

Yes, if I get sacked, I'll just have to tighten my belt a little and think of it as a couple of years' of "compulsory climbing leave" - could be worse

Robert Durran 17 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

> Teacher: (without looking up) 'touch that and you die!'.

Yes. Death threats are great! I've only once got into trouble when I misjudged things a bit........... 

When I was at school, all the teachers had nasty nicknames.

we would have called you Tommy Mair after that and left toy guns and pictures of Boris's head through gun sights on your desk and on your staff room door,  say"blat blat" then p1ss ourselves laughing  as we walked past you....all the usual sh1t kids do to try and wind up teachers  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...