Lard loss challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 07 Nov 2021

So after a year off the beer, a veggie diet and regular exercise I lost close to 4 stone. There then followed six months of, um, 'relaxed' standards and I reckon I've put back on about two stone.

So I'm biting the bullet today and getting back on it. I'm going to start this thread as a bit of a motivator and post a daily weigh-in amount.

If anyone ways to jump on board with their own goals or targets, I'd really appreciated the company and / or support.

Was struggling to come up with a movie pun thread title... I considered Fat Club, The Day The Girth Stood Still, A Lard Days Night, 28 Days Lighter...

Im still thinking.. 

Post edited at 11:13
In reply to ThunderCat:

UKC fat club? The first rule of fat club is you don’t talk about fat club.

I’ll join - I’m about a stone heavier than I want to be after falling off the cycling wagon. 

abr1966 07 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'm in....I was inspired by your previous abstinence but it clearly didn't inspire me sufficiently to join!! I lost 2 stone late summer but have gained at least one of them back...

Would like to get lean but reckon that's about 4 stone away...

OP ThunderCat 07 Nov 2021
In reply to VSisjustascramble:

Cycling has been non existent this year. Even got a new bike on the cycle to work scheme in June. Still unused. Disgraceful. 

In reply to abr1966:

> I'm in....I was inspired by your previous abstinence but it clearly didn't inspire me sufficiently to join!! I lost 2 stone late summer but have gained at least one of them back...

> Would like to get lean but reckon that's about 4 stone away...

Get in! I'm looking at 4 stone too. I've gently started my early morning runs again after knackering my foot in February. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it. The dark, silence, the head space. 4am is a lovely time

Andy Gamisou 07 Nov 2021
In reply to VSisjustascramble:

Been a few incarnations.  This one lasted over 6 months to no ones particular benefit.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/walls+training/ukc_fat_club-574031?v=1#x7...

Clauso 07 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> ... 4am is a lovely time

I was almost in with you, right up until that revelation: my hangovers don't clear until at least 3pm.

In reply to Clauso:

> I was almost in with you, right up until that revelation: my hangovers don't clear until at least 3pm.

😂. If I can mentally commit to it the night before, I tend to have no problem getting up. Sometimes thought I have to programme myself to get out of bed on the first beep of the alarm without giving myself a chance to wake up and argue, otherwise I'll snooze, and the day is lost.

Once I'm actually out of the front door, I'm grand.

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

> Been a few incarnations.  This one lasted over 6 months to no ones particular benefit.

As long as I can shift a couple of pounds and go down at least one cup size, it'll have served its purpose 😂

Run_Ross_Run 07 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Cycling has been non existent this year. Even got a new bike on the cycle to work scheme in June. Still unused. Disgraceful. 

Ouch!! Hang your head in shame!!!!........ *and ill come and join you* 🙄

Guilty here too about the cycling. 

In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> Ouch!! Hang your head in shame!!!!........ *and ill come and join you* 🙄

> Guilty here too about the cycling. 

Its hanging about as shamefully as it can already 😭😭.

To be fair, the plan was to run the old bike into ground first rather than just bin it and there's still a few miles left in the old one. Me and the chaps try and do a yearly fat bloke cycling challenge of several days... Glasgow to Inverness, coast to coast, Cardiff to Holyhead. The last two have been postponed due to covid, so we've not really bothered with the training miles, hence the bikes have had less wear and tear on them.

That's my excuse and in sticking to it... 

The Norris 07 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'm in too. I've got a 2 week head start as started 5:2 a couple of weeks ago. Started at 13st 7 (morning after a massive curry so probably more likely around 13st 5 after all the salty food fluid retention has gone!). And aiming for 12st, but I think that's a bit hopeful to be honest! I have a climbing trip to Costa blanca booked next month, So any losses will be welcome.

2nd weekly weigh in tomorrow and hoping to be around 13st all being well.

I've also been tracking calories and had a bit of a revelation experience on Friday night where, after inputting my expected calorie count for my evening meal,actually opted to not have the second massive burger! That has never happened before, normally go full binge on the weekend. Hopefully this awareness will continue. 

This thread has also given me the kick up the arse to go out for a run... cheers!

And good luck to all other lardy losers!

In reply to The Norris:

Bloody hell. I've not been 13st since I was in junior school.

I think at the highest point it was well over 22 stone. The lowest point I have marked on my graph from last year was 18 stone 8. Past few weeks has been around 20 stone 5.

Im 6 ft 4, so I can justify a bit of weight, but not this much. Id like to aim for 17st...

Post edited at 13:50
In reply to ThunderCat:

Just weighed myself.

Weight - 75.5kg

Brk - slice of brown toast with Jam & an orange

Lch- ham pita

Tea - will be something home cooked - aiming for c.1000 calories

Snacks/ Booze - will be none.

hokkyokusei 07 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'm in.

In reply to Shani:

> I'm in, but I'll go by BF% rather than weight (using cheap BF scales). I have little discipline but companionship might be enough to get me under 9%.

> I'll caveat this with the fact that it's Xmas party season...!

Hey listen, lardloss is just a general banner. Whatever your own target or goal is, that's great! Welcome! 

philipivan 07 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'm kind of starting this week, partly due to finding out at half term I've hit 17st. I'm 6'4 too but was probably under 13 when I finished uni. Would be happy to lose a stone and a half. 

This week I did a couple of fast days 500cal and did my first proper bike ride for a while 35 miles on the road. The only way is up?

TechnoJim 07 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'll get on board.

I was in great nick pre-lockdown but really let myself go when all my work got canned, I got pretty depressed and went hard on the junk food. I reckon I need to drop at least two stone, must be up at about 14 now. If I didn't have a physical job I'd be massive.

I'm almost five years off the booze but my diet has gone totally shit, I was eating really healthily but now I'm on the road again almost constantly with work, doing long hours and not looking after myself. Lots of hotels, service-stations, take-aways and poor sleep. Should be coming to an end for the winter in a few weeks hopefully.

Bit of mutual encouragement would be dead handy. Good luck all. Maybe if anyone has some good meal/recipe ideas they could chuck them in? I was eating mainly vegan/veggie before and genuinely felt great on it.

Either that or I'll just get back on the Gary's and go raving again for 6 months...

In reply to TechnoJim:

Totally bloated tonight with beer and curry. On it tomorrow. Bring it on! 

OP ThunderCat 08 Nov 2021

In reply to Shani:

I am also 4 episodes into Narcos, and was led astray by the missus mentioning gin.... 

In reply to Shani:

2am curry and beer indigestion. Awesome

andyb211 08 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I lost 9 and a half stone of unwanted flesh a few years ago, I don't miss her in the slightest!!

Andy Hardy 08 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

"Die Lard" or, since this thread is a sequel, "Die Lard With a Vengeance"?

In reply to ThunderCat:

> 2am curry and beer indigestion. Awesome

I thought the drinking had stopped ?

In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

One last night of fun with the missus. She's also joining me on the clean living for a bit. 

In reply to ThunderCat:

> One last night of fun with the missus. She's also joining me on the clean living for a bit. 

I've heard that before. 

Also it isn't healthy to associate alcohol with fun .

Anyway lesson over .

Good luck .

AP

subtle 08 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'm in as well.

Need to lose my paunch.

Need to go from 86 to 80kg I reckon, any more than that and life is no fun.

Not so sure on daily weigh in checker - weekly? Say Monday am, after the weekend blow outs?

Anyway, good motivation that others are in the same state and we're all not alone.

> I've heard that before. 

> Also it isn't healthy to associate alcohol with fun .

> Anyway lesson over .

> Good luck .

> AP

"Paging Mr Killington, Paging Mr Buzz Killington"

Come on dude, this is all about being a bit of non-judgmental fun   We're all human, we all have moments of weakness (me probably more than anyone).   

I lost four stone giving up the beer and the other bad stuff and then I put 2 more back on when I took my eye off the ball.

Now I can either beat myself up for the 2 stone gain, get angry at myself and go down Negative Avenue (which is never a good place), or I can choose to focus on the fact that I lost the four stone in the first place, put myself in a positive head place, and start this off with an absolute positive belief that I can do it all again and stay on a healthier track!

In reply to ThunderCat:

So this mornings check in was a bit of a shocker.  20 stone 10 pounds.  About 5 pounds higher than I was expecting.  Argh.

So the beer is out for the foreseeable, and I know from prior experience that as soon as I ditch the beer, the eating gets much more under control (both the food choices, the inbetween meals and the portion sizes)

I'm going to focus on a lot of small changes rather than huge unsustainable ones

I've noticed that I drink a shed load of coffee at home and at work and I take 2 sugars in it.   Maybe 5 to 6 cups a day.  Not the best amount of sugar is it.  I can't have coffee without sugar, so I'm going to ditch that.  On the other hand I hate tea with sugar in...so I'll switch to that but limit it to a couple of cups and up the amount of water I drink.  There are a ton of fruity teas downstairs to work through.

I'll get back to the gym at least three times a week but focus on the cardio bits until this bloody shoulder stops hurting.  I'll get back to walking the amount I used to - lots of hills and towpaths around here.  Equally there are plenty places I can cycle around before it gets too dark to do it.

Bring it on and best of luck to every one!!!

In reply to subtle:

> I'm in as well.

> Need to lose my paunch.

> Need to go from 86 to 80kg I reckon, any more than that and life is no fun.

> Not so sure on daily weigh in checker - weekly? Say Monday am, after the weekend blow outs?

> Anyway, good motivation that others are in the same state and we're all not alone.

Good lad!  

I'm going to do it daily - that seems to focus my head a bit.  Weigh in as soon I get up so I'm at roughly the same state each day.  If weekly works for you that's great.  I know the daily weighing is seen as a bit obsessive by some.

In reply to ThunderCat:

> "Paging Mr Killington, Paging Mr Buzz Killington"

Cheers .

Only trying to be caring and show support .

Post edited at 09:42
In reply to ThunderCat:

Im in but Im going to suspend until January. Too many boozy nights booked, birthdays and Xmas to get through.

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Im in but Im going to suspend until January. Too many boozy nights booked, birthdays and Xmas to get through.

Totally understandable! I've started the thread as Die Lard with a vengeance part 1. Look forward to seeing you in there

> Cheers .

> Only trying to be caring and show support .

And i wasnt being 'entirely' serious. 😊👍. 

Timmd 11 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

My goal is to get rid of 'any hint of a growing middle' around my middle.

At the moment 30 inch waist jeans feel tighter than I'd like, and I almost feel like there's a choice between cycling nearly everyday, or stopping eating as much dark chocolate as seems appealing and thinking about how much I eat more generally.

I don't want to have to pick the second one, but some thought might have to go into it when I'm not cycling to uni and back most days a week, unless I begin a regular ten mile cycle out to the Peak and back as a fixture to maintain things.

Post edited at 23:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...