Land use minefield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chrismith 07 Jul 2020

Does anyone know of a good resource that explains, in simple terms, what kind of land is suitable for what kind of purpose and is it possible to change land use via application to the council etc?  For example, can you obtain building permission on grazing land by some means via a change in land use etc. 

Specifically what kind of land type would be suitable for installing eco type accommodation pods etc.  I’ve seen and stayed in pods that are build in woodland which I thought was a big no no for development.

We’ve trolled through so much info online and discovered a complete minefield - even our our local councils website.

The slightest point in the right direction might keep me away from the anadin!

Cheers

mrphilipoldham 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Chrismith:

Have you spoken to someone in the planning department? They can be quite helpful! Keep it reasonably vague though, while you're thinking.

OP Chrismith 07 Jul 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

We haven’t yet no, but we are trying to make that connection, I don’t think our council is quite back to full flow yet!  We will keep trying though.  Thanks 

Ridge 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Chrismith:

Am I the only one disappointed that you weren't after advice on creating a minefield?

Jack B 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Chrismith:

This definitely varies depending where you are.  So it might help to try to narrow it down a bit geographically. Good to find out if there is a development plan and/or any areas reserved as green belt or anything like that - the next council over from me publishes a detailed map classifying all of the land in it's area.

An eco-pod tourist accommodation with minimal visual impact (hidden in trees) pioneering new construction techniques and possibly even classed as a temporary structure could probably be written in such a way as to tick a lot of boxes for the planners.

Change of use involving a minefield - to or from - probably includes a lot of extra paperwork involving the Ottawa Treaty and/or a heavily armoured mine roller. Not sure I can help you there.

Edit: @Ridge: No you were not :-P.

Post edited at 19:36
 TobyA 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Jack B:

There's a whole chapter of my doctoral thesis on the Ottawa Convention, but unfortunately it focused on Finland's decision not to sign, so unless the OP wants to change, say a field in Karelia or Lapland into a minefield, I'm not much help either.

OP Chrismith 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Chrismith:

Deary me, you almost made me google the Ottawa Treaty with regards to planning permission in my local area - I can take a minute to click sometimes...

Thanks for the advice there Jack, very helpful!  Geographically speaking I live in Inverness so within the Highlands in a feasible radius of home.

For the record though, I'm not planning on creating a minefield - though it does sound like a great security measure around my shed where I'm already uncomfortable storing my bikes.  That is, until I stumble home drunk.

Post edited at 20:22
 summo 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Chrismith:

Code or level 6 sustainable eco home will box every requirement. But what you gain in permission you might lose along with the will to live, in complying with the terms along the way. 

If you've got the land, I'd get permission for a shed or hut first. It should be permitted and will be invaluable during any build. 

Next, drink local, shop local etc. It's your future neighbours who are likely to be the biggest hurdle. 

scott culyer 07 Jul 2020
In reply to TobyA:

should be on prescription for insomniacs

OP Chrismith 07 Jul 2020
In reply to summo:

Great stuff, thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...