Ladybower Reservoir

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 12 Aug 2022

Anyone know if the sunken village(s) under ladybower reservoir are currently visible with the reduced water levels we are experiencing at the moment ?

Ta!

CantClimbTom 12 Aug 2022
In reply to GravitySucks:

Looked up the level yesterday and is was -7.7m and normal range empty is down to I think? -8.8m so it's not fully normal-empty yet. To see the village it has to below normal range. So I think not yet. But if this carries on for much longer though...

The village was demolished, so afaik the things to look out for are one corner of Derwent Hall and if you're really in drought the old pump house building. The church spire, which used to be visible in normal low conditions was blown up in 1947. Bah humbug, spoilsports!

Post edited at 15:06
 Axel Smeets 12 Aug 2022

Did the full Ladybower-Derwent-Howden circuit on Wednesday this week and I couldn't see any remnants of the village. 

Of the three, Ladybower is the most full. The upper reaches of Howden are bone dry with only a  small river a few feet across running through the middle. The section which branches off Howden to the west is also almost entirely empty, save for a small river running through it. 

Jenny C 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Axel Smeets:

I wonder if the are deliberately keeping Ladybower comparatively full to avoid attracting tourists to see the village remains.

As above there is very little to see, just a few low stone walls so you can make it building outlines but that's about it. 

Clauso 12 Aug 2022

Kinder Downfall is in winter nick, if you'll settle for that instead?

In reply to CantClimbTom:

I’m sitting in a big chunk of Derwent Hall at the moment. A lot of the local builders reclaimed stone, windows frames etc etc and recycled them into new builds back in the day. We’ve got those leaded windows with the stone mullions, oak exterior doors and other stuff like random carved stone columns plus the stone flags from the chapel in our cottage.

Fat Bumbly2 12 Aug 2022

Ask Mr Shuttleworth

CantClimbTom 12 Aug 2022
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Wow, that sounds like one heck of a nice cottage you have there!

Maybe my imagination is running wild now, but I'm imagining you typing that message seated in some buttoned-leather wingback chesterfield while smoking a pipe

Jimbo C 14 Aug 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

> I wonder if the are deliberately keeping Ladybower comparatively full to avoid attracting tourists to see the village remains.

I was wondering the other day if they moved the water into Ladybower because you get get less overall evaporation from one reservoir than two that are half as full

Clauso 16 Aug 2022

BBC News - Ruins of 'lost church' exposed at Ladybower Reservoir:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-62548735

deepsoup 16 Aug 2022

This might be interesting to some..

The National Library of Scotland has a really good facility for getting a look at old maps here:
https://maps.nls.uk/

And as it happens that includes Ordnance Survey 6-inch and (extremely detailed) 25-inch maps of Derwent and Ashopton.  Tweak the transparency of the overlay to see where they sit in relation to the reservoir now:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=53.38123&lon=-1.72746&...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...