Labware plastic packaging nonsense

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning , 

I'm unpacking 100 plastic measuring cylinders this morning .

They arrived in 2 plastic bags 

1 bag with 50 x 25ml cylinders in ALL individually wrapped 

1 bag with 50 x 100 ml cylinder again ALL individually wrapped.

Apart from being a ball-ache to unpack I fail to see the need for all this .

So we have a (robust) plastic measuring cylinder in a small plastic packaging and in a larger plastic packaging , in a box with more packaging .

They do this with all sorts of items .

Individual rulers and protractors are also just a bad.

Daft 

TWS

LastBoyScout 18 Sep 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Last package I got from Wiggle contained about 2 cubic feet of air.

Pretty sure they used a forks box to send me 2 packs of frame protector film and some hydration tablets - I'm sure a large envelope would have been fine.

cb294 18 Sep 2019

Yes, trying to run a lab in an environmentally friendly manner, in particular trying to minimize waste, is a chore.

We made a deiberate choice to return to glass measuring cylinders, glass pipets for everything above 5 ml and not involving cell culture or agarose (which sticks to the inside of the pipets and cannot be removed in the dish washer), racking our own micropiette tips, etc., even though that clearly is more work than buying tons of sterile packed plastic pipettes, pre-racked tips, and so on.

Unfortunately, all the sterile and sensitive stuff still comes in tons of plastic, even though shipping packages for chemicals have become noticeably smaller and the insulation material is normally not plastic anymore (at least when ordering from Roth or Sigma).

CB

gethin_allen 18 Sep 2019

More importantly, how big is this lab of yours that you need 50x20 ml measuring cylinders?

I think we have about 20 measuring cylinders in total, all sizes. 

Dax H 18 Sep 2019

Speak to the supplier. I buy carbon vanes for blowers and vacuum pumps from one of the largest outfits in the world. They moved their stores and packing went to crap. If I ordered 24 of one size and 24 of a different size the would come in 2 stacks of 24 with bubble wrap round them and put in a box, after the move each vane was wrapped in bubble wrap and tape with a lable on it then up to 12 would be put in a bag then the bags boxed with the inflated bag type packaging. I ordered a couple of hundred vanes and the packaging filled an enrire bin.

I spoke to the UK distribution manager and nothing happened so I them tracked down and spoke to the guy over all Europe and North America and sent him photos. 6 months later vanes now come in sets vacuum packed to a bit of card. 

In reply to gethin_allen:

> More importantly, how big is this lab of yours that you need 50x20 ml measuring cylinders?

> I think we have about 20 measuring cylinders in total, all sizes. 

There are 10 labs and students break even plastic ones so we need replacements.

Not often I'd get this many. 

Timmd 18 Sep 2019
In reply to Dax H:

> I spoke to the UK distribution manager and nothing happened so I them tracked down and spoke to the guy over all Europe and North America and sent him photos. 6 months later vanes now come in sets vacuum packed to a bit of card. 

Good work, there's nothing like doing - compared to talking.

Post edited at 22:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...