Labour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 23 Mar 2020

Does the Labour have anything to say on coronaviris? I’m fact is it still a thing?

marsbar 23 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

Right now party politics aren’t a priority.  I was quite pleased to see the education secretary and shadow education secretary seemed to be working together to sort out school closures and vulnerable pupils etc.  Similarly it was good to hear Boris and Nicola singing from the same hymn sheet this evening.  

OP MG 23 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I agree. I still want a suppposed party of government to exist and be visible, as you not the SNP are.

mondite 23 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

Yes they have been pushing the tories on, amongst other things, protection for renters and the self employed. How effective is debatable but they have been active. Perhaps you should look to yor news sources?

birdie num num 23 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

A few short months ago Australia was burning, and everybody was talking about it. Also...Jeremy Corbyn was still a thing, he had nothing to say on that other thing.

Tringa 23 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

All the major parties have been working together before the Bill was presented to the House today so it would go through more quickly.

I would like to see a similar approach to other legislation in the future, rather than the Government present a bill which the opposition parties then try to pull apart, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dave

Duncan Bourne 23 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

I'll bet Boris wishes Corbyn had won now

marsbar 23 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

I also mentioned by position if not name Angela Raynor who is Labour.  She appeared to be pushing to ensure children on free school meals didn't suffer.  

Post edited at 23:19
 FactorXXX 23 Mar 2020
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> I'll bet Boris wishes Corbyn had won now

The rest of the UK doesn't though...

Duncan Bourne 24 Mar 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

I'll bet a lot of them do

We aren't all mad tories

I did chuckle when I saw Boris giving his speech behind a sign reading "Save the NHS" though. Nice to see the adoption of a few labour policies

wbo2 24 Mar 2020
In reply to birdie num num: Australaian bushfires are Jeremy Corbyns fault shocker?

To FactorXXX - ironic that the complaint would be that Corbyns a frightful fence sitter compared to 'decisive' Boris Johnson

Post edited at 08:10
 deepsoup 24 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

She might be the new Labour deputy leader just over a week from now - (online) polling for the leadership elections closes 2nd April.

Rob Parsons 24 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

> Does the Labour have anything to say on coronaviris? I’m fact is it still a thing?

Weird question. But yes, they do. The Shadow Health Minister has been giving interviews about both the health and public order response, and other spokespeople have been pressing on matters like support for the self-employed.

Post edited at 09:11
 summo 24 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

No party will be perfect in its reaction to a once a century pandemic. I doubt any party or leader would have been better, some may have been worse. Looking around Europe all have been slow to the party.

Curiously this virus has started in China, spread globally, been contained by some, measures introduced etc. Etc.   All the time span Labour have yet to decide who'll lead their party. 

wercat 24 Mar 2020

watching Parliament live yesterday evening it was starkly shown I think what a silly choice the Conservative party members made.  The precision of Jeremy Hunt's contributions contrasts with the ambiguous and unclear messages from No 10 and its advisors

Harry Jarvis 24 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

One of the candidates for deputy leader is Rosena Allin-Khan, who is also an A&E doctor who still does shifts at St George's Hospital. Another Labour MP, Nadia Whittome, has just returned to her previous job as a care worker. 

Perhaps some of them are just getting on with doing good work. 

Rob Parsons 24 Mar 2020

Quite the reverse I think. Good leadership at a time like this would give him the opportunity to reset all sorts of things, not least his own reputation.

> I did chuckle when I saw Boris giving his speech behind a sign reading "Save the NHS" though. Nice to see the adoption of a few labour policies

We shall have to see how Johnson's term of office pans out. He has already staked a large claim on policies of 'social relevelling' and related matters which one might naturally associate with the Labour Party. He needs to make good on at least some of those in order to retain the 'Red Wall' seats which the Tories took in December. But we will see what happens in practice.

wercat 24 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

I hope my dislikers are so doing having watched the debates.  if so, fine, if not ...

pec 24 Mar 2020

https://tinyurl.com/yx5lp226

pec 24 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

> watching Parliament live yesterday evening it was starkly shown I think what a silly choice the Conservative party members made.  The precision of Jeremy Hunt's contributions contrasts with the ambiguous and unclear messages from No 10 and its advisors

I know what you mean but in reality if Hunt had won the leadership I don't believe they'd be sitting on an 80 seat majority.

For all his faults Boris is unique, he may be Marmite but he's also the Heineken politican. I don't believe any other leader could have taken them from their worst ever election result in their c.200 year existence (European election, 5th place, 9%) to an 80 seat majority in 7 months.

In that sense, the party members choice was anything but silly.

colinakmc 24 Mar 2020
In reply to pec:

But Jeremy hunt, ffs? Ask a junior doctor about him, if you can find one

In reply to pec:

I tend to agree with that.

wercat 24 Mar 2020
In reply to pec:

in a purely self seeking way, yes it makes sense.  for the rest of us though ..

fred99 24 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

I did see one interview that Corbyn did, where he wanted the government to pay everybody the NATIONAL AVERAGE WAGE during this crisis (the government has come up with 80% of normal wages).

In this case the government, much though I dislike the Tories, have come up with a more sensible option. If Corbyn's idea had been put through then most people would have had a whopping great INCREASE in income. Does Corbyn have any idea of the difference between the National Average Wage and what most lower wage workers actually earn ?

GrahamD 24 Mar 2020
In reply to fred99:

It's also not possible unless everyone is paid exactly the same amount.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...