Kyle - what next?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 15 May 2019

Seems like the Kyle 'show' on TV has been axed - good move, as it appeared to be an apalling format, the equivalent of human cock-fighting.

But what other TV programmes ought to follow it to the dustbin. I can think of a few...

balmybaldwin 15 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Anything reality based.... I'm not sure for example why there's no outrage over the suicides driven by "Love Island"

plyometrics 15 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Eastenders. 

stevieb 15 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

When I saw your thread, I genuinely thought we were doing royal baby names. Kyle Jordan Mountbatten Windsor - 8th in line to the throne.

I think TOWIE, Chelsea and Geordie Shore are all shallow and unpleasant, but my daughter seems to happily watch the first two and she's not taken on the standard character traits or accents yet.

Billhook 15 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

a judge called it human bear baiting.   

Lots of people like it.  I'm not too sure how sorry I feel about the participants as they must surely know the format of the bear baiting? I'm just glad im not one of them.

fred99 15 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

> But what other TV programmes ought to follow it to the dustbin.

Every single "soap".

Every single so-called "reality" programme.

Anything with Bear Grylls in it.

Luke90 15 May 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Based on what little I've seen of Love Island, it certainly seems like a fairly loathsome format for a TV show. However, the contestants who committed suicide did so a couple of years after their appearance on the show, which makes any link with the show significantly more tenuous than the gap of a single week between the taping of the Kyle show and the death of Steve Dymond.

I also think there's a big moral difference between the largely contrived and fake drama manufactured on "reality" shows and the way Jeremy Kyle utilised people's real lives.

graeme jackson 15 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

anything with 'housewives' in the title.

In reply to Greenbanks:

They could flash up a series of disturbing images with white noise playing on a loop and the text GO OUT AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE ECONOMY scrolling across the screen at the bottom? Or is this too close to the original format...

NaCl 15 May 2019
In reply to fred99:

Followed by Bear Grylls preferably.

W*nker.

*edit: BG, not you obviously

Post edited at 13:33
88Dan 15 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

I have no idea how JK kept going for so long. It should have been kicked to the kerb a long time ago along with any other reality tv.

mick taylor 15 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Say Yes To The Dress and many other USA made trash like Catfish or whatever its called.  Teenage daughter used to watch them - dreadfull stuff.

plyometrics 15 May 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

> anything with 'housewives' in the title.

TV shows maybe.

DVDs on the other hand...

Tom Valentine 15 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Anything with Clarkson in it.

Ramblin dave 15 May 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> When I saw your thread, I genuinely thought we were doing royal baby names. Kyle Jordan Mountbatten Windsor - 8th in line to the throne.

I thought we were talking about the long term social and economic impact of the Skye Bridge...

colinakmc 15 May 2019
In reply to Billhook:

>I'm not too sure how sorry I feel about the participants as they must surely know the format

Doesnt seems necessarily to be the case - see this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/15/jeremy-kyle-cruelty-g... 

The very worst of bear pit telly, so glad it’s gone. Hopefully we won’t see Jeremy Kyle again.

squarepeg 16 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Its only a pause for the JK show, supposedly.

OP Greenbanks 16 May 2019
In reply to squarepeg:

> Its only a pause for the JK show, supposedly<

Not according to the current position:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48279613

I think there's a sea-change happening - thank goodness, as other dubious formats which use vulnerable people as stooges will surely follow JK to the dustbin

cander 16 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Question time 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...