KVM switches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 02 Jul 2020

Looking for a recommendation for a new KVM switch.

My wife and I share an office at home, but have different laptops. I've therefore set up our 2 docking stations via an Aten KVM switch to share a single mouse, keyboard and monitor - it also has a couple of spare USB ports, which link in the printer and web cam.

However, I want to add in a second monitor and need a new switch with a second monitor port to do that.

There's a myriad of options on eBay and Amazon, but can anyone recommend (or even advise against) any particular model, please?

Ideally, it could do with a couple of extra USB ports, too, for hooking in other things.

Thanks in advance,

DancingOnRock 02 Jul 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

We use Belkin Omniview at work but as Ethernet extenders rather than switches. 

Dark-Cloud 02 Jul 2020

The Blackbox option has most things you ask for, or failing that Belkin as advised above:

https://www.blackbox.co.uk/gb-gb/si/1718/14192/4K60-HDMI-Dual-Head-KVM-Swit...

OP LastBoyScout 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

That would do it, but I'm not planning on spending the thick end of £500 on it - the one I've got at the moment was £35 in Maplin!

Dark-Cloud 02 Jul 2020

Dual monitor isn't that common for KVM really, Belkin do some but without the USB hub functionality you are after.

OP LastBoyScout 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have missed my dual monitor office setup while working from home.

They seem to be available, but very expensive - especially if you're looking at HDMI connections.

My fall-back plan is to connect the second monitor direct to my docking station, as my wife's not that fussed about having the dual screen.

Dark-Cloud 02 Jul 2020

Most monitors will have dual inputs, just use HDMI for one PC and VGA for the other PC, get a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and pair it with both PC's then ditch the KVM !

Do your docking stations provide dual monitor output? If not, you will be connecting directly to the laptop anyway (so can swap cables between laptops).

If you only need one KM, just add a second video switch for the second monitor. Or, as has been suggested, use the monitor's input selection.

I bought one of these when I started WFH. I needed DP to HDMI adaptors, but they're cheap. I have a VGA only PC I need to connect sometimes, too, but I use the monitor's (TV) input source select for that. USB webcam works fine through the front panel USB.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GYM5K7R/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_f1

4 HDMI and USB inputs. Single K & M input. Single switched KVM output. Single front panel USB. Audio in/out. Metal case. Comes with PSU and four USB A-B cables. Seems to work okay. I didn't spend too much time looking.

Post edited at 13:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...