Kippers to EU or WTO Brexit! Which is greener?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MargieB 18 Jul 2019

An individual kipper maketh not a whole green cookbook or does it  ?

A greener world under WTO rules Brexit or a greener world as a member of EU?

Boris has just raised the kipper.

Post edited at 12:12
 john arran 18 Jul 2019
In reply to MargieB:

When is a kipper a red herring?

"EU sources insist that rules that mean smoked kipper producers in the Isle of Man must use "plastic ice pillow" when sending to UK, as made famous by Boris Johnson, are BRITISH rules and not Brussels' rules."

https://twitter.com/JamesCrisp6/status/1151802012369072130

Of course, just like with variably curved bananas, the truth will never be allowed to temper the gammon outrage.

George Ormerod 18 Jul 2019
In reply to MargieB:

Something gutless and unpleasant at the Tory leadership hustings. And a kipper. 

pasbury 18 Jul 2019
In reply to john arran:

Back to his old habits of bullshitting about EU regulations.

MonkeyPuzzle 18 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Festival crowd - got to play the hits.

In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Truly we live not just in a post-truth but a post-shame world.

jcm

balmybaldwin 18 Jul 2019
In reply to MargieB:

FFS Isle Of Mann isn't even in the EU

George Ormerod 18 Jul 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

It isn't even in the UK.  This kipper nonsense neatly shows how a smaller economy has to comply with the regulations of its much bigger trading partner, but will have no say on those regulations.  To pick a phrase out of thin air, it could be considered a vassal state.  

TobyA 18 Jul 2019
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Did you hear them talking about the whole saga on the 6 o'clock news on Radio 4? I thought it was quite good in how clearly they said just how wrong Johnson was and how he either had to be deliberately lying or very ignorant on the issue. But I thought it was interesting how they said it wouldn't matter at all to the Con members voting for him. They just said it as if there was absolutely no overlap between listeners to Radio 4 and Conservative party Johnson supporters - like listening to someone on NPR or MSNBC talk about Trump supporters/Fox News viewers.

baron 18 Jul 2019
In reply to john arran:

Scared yet John?

You should be.

This clown will be Prime Minister this time next week.

Pete Pozman 18 Jul 2019
In reply to George Ormerod:

I think I'm correct in saying that the Isle of Man is literally a vassal state in that the Queen, who is Lord of the Isles, is her own vassal in a strictly mediaeval sense. 

Please put me right if you know better. I'm genuinely interested. 

birdie num num 18 Jul 2019
In reply to MargieB:

I expect Johnson will be still tasting those kippers, for a day or two 

Pete Pozman 18 Jul 2019
In reply to MargieB:

How about Remainers start making things up. For a start: if we stay in the EU, Brussels will provide everyone with  free kippers for life. I have no reason to disbelieve this so I reckon it's probably true. Hurray! 

In reply to Pete Pozman:

I've had my fill of UKIPpers, thanks...

john arran 18 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

> Scared yet John?

> You should be.

> This clown will be Prime Minister this time next week.

Your tone suggests that you think I may not be scared already, but I have absolutely no idea where you may have got such an idea from. We all should be terrified of Johnson as PM, of the no-deal Brexit he's holding the country to ransom with, and indeed of any other kind of Brexit that other party leaders may be trying to pretend will be in our national interest.

balmybaldwin 18 Jul 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I've had my fill of UKIPpers, thanks...

That's why they've re-branded themselves as Brexit Company Cocks

In reply to balmybaldwin:

Oh dear, balmy b, is that what you meant to say? 

Bob Kemp 19 Jul 2019
In reply to MargieB:

There's not much to laugh about with this impending political train wreck but what was happening in the next room during the kipper speech may amuse...

https://twitter.com/MrMichaelSpicer/status/1152185504554606592

john arran 19 Jul 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

One in a growing collection of such vids by Spicer. He's making quite a name for himself and the way things are going he's unlikely to run out of material any time soon!

pasbury 19 Jul 2019
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> I think I'm correct in saying that the Isle of Man is literally a vassal state in that the Queen, who is Lord of the Isles, is her own vassal in a strictly mediaeval sense. 

> Please put me right if you know better. I'm genuinely interested. 

I don’t know but if it is it seems to do OK as that. Economically I think it’s rich because it’s a small financial parasite attached to the U.K. blessed by lax laws but too small to take much blood.

I’m not sure we can take the same model with Europe. Though that is perhaps the plan for some fantasists.

summo 20 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> I’m not sure we can take the same model with Europe. Though that is perhaps the plan for some fantasists.

Too late. Luxembourg and Netherlands beat us to it 20 years ago. Even Ireland now to a lesser degree. 

Post edited at 06:43
 Pete Pozman 20 Jul 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

You couldn't write it. And this is what happens when you don't. 

OP MargieB 21 Jul 2019
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I'll be on the edge of my seat when Alexander Boris Gaffe de Piffle Johnson handles the Iran crisis!

Post edited at 10:42
 Pete Pozman 21 Jul 2019
In reply to MargieB:

> I'll be on the edge of my seat when Alexander Boris Gaffe de Piffle Johnson handles the Iran crisis!

I think you'll need to get under the table, or even better, in the cupboard under the stairs. Trump needs a war badly and, of course, we'll need to stand shoulder to shoulder with our closest ally...

Jaysus it's scary!

OP MargieB 21 Jul 2019
In reply to Pete Pozman:

In previous threads, I came to feel Boris would endure and duck and dive his way to having to really give a 2nd referendum as his only manoeuvre but stay he would for the end of the tenure. But it could very well be a foreign affairs  issue and fear of him handling it that prompts the possibility of the fastest no confidence vote with an overwhelming win and a GE.  Just pure serendipity.

Post edited at 13:12
In reply to MargieB:

> Alexander Boris Gaffe de Piffle Johnson

Like...

jkarran 22 Jul 2019
In reply to MargieB:

> In previous threads, I came to feel Boris would endure and duck and dive his way to having to really give a 2nd referendum as his only manoeuvre but stay he would for the end of the tenure. But it could very well be a foreign affairs  issue and fear of him handling it that prompts the possibility of the fastest no confidence vote with an overwhelming win and a GE.  Just pure serendipity.

An overwhelming win for whom? Blundering into another war will change the calculus of course but at present I don't see a predictable and clear parliamentary majority emerging from a GE for any party or brexit position unless some form of pact emerges on one side or other of the brexit divide. At present that seems unlikely but if it does happen I suspect it'll more likely emerge and be successful on the brexit side delivering us a far right rump of 'conservatives' and a lunatic fringe of has-beens, looters, ethno-nationalists and idiots marching under Farage's banner.

Alternatively if Labour does as seems increasingly plausible unequivocally back 'referendum and remain campaign' there's no hope they'll stand aside for smaller remain parties in contested seats, to do so risks returning a rainbow coalition with an anti-brexit AND electoral reform agenda, the end of two party politics in England and their entitlement to periodic spells in power. The remain vote will split cleanly, FPTP will do its thing and and we get a far-right brexity catastrophe.

Nobody should be cheering for an election right now though it seems increasingly likely one will be forced by events.

jk

Post edited at 10:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...