King Charles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 09 Sep 2022

I hope he does well but it will a tough act to follow.  I thought his speech just now was good - he is perhaps a better communicator than Queen was.

SFM 09 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

I was surprised to see him shaking hands outside the Buckingham Palace so perhaps we’re about to see a new style of monarch. His speech was very different to what we’ve been used to and perhaps has learned much from his son. 

Tony Buckley 09 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

Trouble is, I can't hear him called King Charles without my mind automatically adding the word 'spaniel'.

My mental processes have no sense of decorum.

T.

BusyLizzie 09 Sep 2022
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Yes, I can't detach the spaniel from the name.

snoop6060 09 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

Least he’s not a nonce. 

veteye 09 Sep 2022

Do you have a cavalier attitude then?

montyjohn 09 Sep 2022

> Trouble is, I can't hear him called King Charles without my mind automatically adding the word 'spaniel'.

I never made this connection.

I was happy.

Now I can't un-hear it.

Curse you!!!!!

Robert Durran 09 Sep 2022
In reply to SFM:

> I was surprised to see him shaking hands outside the Buckingham Palace so perhaps we’re about to see a new style of monarch. His speech was very different to what we’ve been used to and perhaps has learned much from his son. 

I've always liked Charles; never been quite sure what a lot of people have against him. I think he'll be a good king though he does have a desperately hard act to follow. He'll never win over the haters but I wish him well.

Pete Pozman 09 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

I think the choice of "Charles" is a reconciliation thing as the last Charles was a Stuart. Also it's an inclusive thing with regard to Scotland. 

It's a History thing.

Umfana 09 Sep 2022
In reply to veteye:

> Do you have a cavalier attitude then?

Maybe.

However it remains that whether Charles is a good King or not will likely be a bone of contention.

Pete Pozman 09 Sep 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Don't comment in the pub...

Mike Stretford 09 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

I caught the bit where he talks of his love for Harry and Meghan. That's a pretty clear message, and I do wonder if the right wing press who profess to support the monarchy will respect his wishes and drop their vendetta? Or maybe the Tory party could call off their attack dogs.... if they do have any control over them?

Post edited at 21:17
OP MG 09 Sep 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

It's also his name!

The New NickB 09 Sep 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

The utterly shameless corruption is a bit of an issue for me, even though I probably agree with him on a few big issues. Plus the whole divine right bollocks.

Duncan Bourne 09 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

I recall that Edward VII was disliked as Prince but stepped up when he became King not unlike Henry V

Pete Pozman 10 Sep 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

> Plus the whole divine right bollocks.

I think that issue was dealt with at the end of the reign of the first Charles. 

The New NickB 10 Sep 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> I think that issue was dealt with at the end of the reign of the first Charles. 

Checks notes. Mother dies, made King. I know it’s not quite the divine right of Kings as interpreted up to the interregnum, but it’s close enough.

Robert Durran 10 Sep 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

> Checks notes. Mother dies, made King. I know it’s not quite the divine right of Kings as interpreted up to the interregnum, but it’s close enough.

Nothing like divine right. Just our constitution.

veteye 10 Sep 2022

Note for agenda:

Written non-monarchistic constitution.

That would sort many problems as far as I'm concerned.

In reply to veteye:

Would it, though? 

A glance across the Atlantic to some former subjects who took that approach suggests it wouldn’t necessarily be a panacea 

The New NickB 10 Sep 2022

Listen to the proclamations.

Ciro 10 Sep 2022

> I've always liked Charles; never been quite sure what a lot of people have against him. I think he'll be a good king though he does have a desperately hard act to follow. He'll never win over the haters but I wish him well.

On what criteria would we judge "good king" or "bad king" in this day and age?

They're not supposed to have a role in running the country any more, so the only thing I can think of is the example they set?

He's an advocate for doing something about the climate - but I assume will continue to live in multiple castles and fly around by private jet.

He's got a paedo in the family who hasn't been shunned, and he married a virgin to breed with for appearance sake whilst in a stable (but clandestine) long term relationship with someone else. 

He's happy to accept charitable donations from influential people in states with poor human rights records - transferred in cash by the suitcase - and he lobbied Tony Blair to scrap the ban on chasing animals around the countryside, then watching them ripped to pieces by dogs for "sport".

Certainly doesn't come across as someone I would encourage my young nieces and nephews to look up to.

In reply to Ciro:

> On what criteria would we judge "good king" or "bad king" in this day and age?

If he does the figurehead role half as well as his mother then I think he will be a good king.

> He's got a paedo in the family who hasn't been shunned.

Andrew may be many things but there has never been any suggestion that he is a paedophile.

And he has been shunned in many ways.

Post edited at 14:45
In reply to Ciro:

> On what criteria would we judge "good king" or "bad king" in this day and age?

If he does the figurehead role half as well as his mother then I think he will be a good king.

> He's got a paedo in the family who hasn't been shunned.

Andrew may be many things bit there has never been any suggestion that he is a paedophile.

And he has been shunned in many ways.

Ciro 10 Sep 2022

> Andrew may be many things but there has never been any suggestion that he is a paedophile.

Eh? He was good friends with a convicted paedophile sex trafficker, was accused of statutory rape of a minor introduced to him by said convicted paedophile sex trafficker, paid millions to settle the case... But there's no suggestion he's a paedophile rapist?

mondite 10 Sep 2022

> And he has been shunned in many ways.

Only when it became absolutely overwhelming what a mess he had created and mostly due to outside pressure eg the regiments feeding back they really wanted someone else as their honorary colonel.

The slowness of action made Johnson look quick and keen to crack down on poor behaviour.

mondite 10 Sep 2022
In reply to Ciro:

> But there's no suggestion he's a paedophile rapist?

Paedeophilia is kids of less than 12 or so years (too lazy to look up the exact legal definition). Whereas Virginia Giuffre was 17.

In reply to MG:

Im hoping he's going to be a decent king. He was certainly ahead of his time where the environment was concerned,  when everyone at the time was calling him nutty.

I was watching a bbc documentary earlier. Great fact: Charles was the first Royal to be educated - did I understand that correctly? 

In reply to mondite:

The stories say she was 17 (and he was 40), which means however troubling and unsavory the encounter was and the shadow that casts on his character, he is not a paedophile.

Rob Parsons 10 Sep 2022
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> I was watching a bbc documentary earlier. Great fact: Charles was the first Royal to be educated - did I understand that correctly? 

He was the first to go to actual school. Queen Elizabeth II was certainly educated, but that was done by the royal equivalent of 'home schooling.'

In reply to Ciro:

> Eh? He was good friends with a convicted paedophile sex trafficker, was accused of statutory rape of a minor introduced to him by said convicted paedophile sex trafficker, paid millions to settle the case... But there's no suggestion he's a paedophile rapist?

I think you need to look up the definition of a paedophile.

In reply to mondite:

> Paedeophilia is kids of less than 12 or so years (too lazy to look up the exact legal definition). Whereas Virginia Giuffre was 17.

Paedpohilia is being sexually attracted to prepubescent children. 

JoshOvki 10 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

Imagine having your mum die and the having to have to go through all this! No thank you 

Michael Hood 10 Sep 2022

He gained respect (IMO) when he came out with that "monstrous carbuncle" comment about the proposed extension to the National Gallery many years ago - he was right.

He doesn't get everything right but I think his heart's in the right place.

veteye 10 Sep 2022
In reply to Ciro:

From what I recall, Virginia G, was hardly a rape victim, and some third parties commented that she was encouraging other teenage girls to join in the entourage. Remember that if the alleged event had happened in the UK, Virginia G would have not been able to bring any case, as she was above the age of 16 years of age.

The New NickB 11 Sep 2022
In reply to veteye:

> Remember that if the alleged event had happened in the UK, Virginia G would have not been able to bring any case, as she was above the age of 16 years of age.

At the time possibly, the law is different now.

dunc56 11 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

Aside from hearing King Charles Spaniel, has anyone noticed that when people say “King Charles” it sounds like they are saying “f@cking Charles” ?

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> He was the first to go to actual school. Queen Elizabeth II was certainly educated, but that was done by the royal equivalent of 'home schooling.'

Right, understood.

Short comedy sketch that kind of related  youtube.com/watch?v=jcXK-sPqsL0& 

veteye 11 Sep 2022
In reply to dunc56:

Well see my thread elsewhere concerning my machinations of corruption of the name Charles III.

I know that people are being nauseous about him already. I could imagine Charles himself cringing if he heard one woman yesterday who said (I paraphrase somewhat); "I quite like Charlie, he seems to be a good chap, that Charlie"; which I take is a little presumptuous (?).

Pete Pozman 11 Sep 2022
In reply to dunc56:

> Aside from hearing King Charles Spaniel, has anyone noticed that when people say “King Charles” it sounds like they are saying “f@cking Charles” ?

Oh yes! Ha ha ha

PaulJepson 11 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

He's too bloody old. Why are we having a new monarch in their mid 70s? All this faff, changing faces on stamps and money, yadda yadda yadda, and he'll probably be dead inside a decade and we get to do it all again.

Tony Buckley 11 Sep 2022
In reply to dunc56:

There is an assumed apostrophe: King Charles becoming 'king Charles.  Unfortunate, but there you go.  I doubt he cares, he's the 'king King.

T.

Post edited at 13:09
 mbh 11 Sep 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

> He's too bloody old. Why are we having a new monarch in their mid 70s? All this faff, changing faces on stamps and money, yadda yadda yadda, and he'll probably be dead inside a decade and we get to do it all again.

Old he may be, but his mum has just died at 96 and his dad was almost 100 when he died. Charles will probably be around for a while yet. A good deal longer than most medieval monarchs.

Maggot 11 Sep 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

I don't mind as long as we can have a new national anthem, PLEASE!!!

mbh 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Maggot:

> I don't mind as long as we can have a new national anthem, PLEASE!!!

But not Billy Connelly's suggestion, PLEASE!!

youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ&

Post edited at 13:05
 girlymonkey 11 Sep 2022
In reply to mbh:

Brilliant! Definitely this is the winner! 😀

Robert Durran 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Maggot:

I like God Save the King. What's wrong with it? Seems suitably dignified to me.

Pedro50 11 Sep 2022

It's a frightful dirge. I like the Italian one best.

john arran 11 Sep 2022

It's a frightful dirge. I like Billy Connolly's suggestion.

Robert Durran 11 Sep 2022
In reply to john arran:

> It's a frightful dirge. 

Well it's slow (best, like all the most moving national anthems when played particularly slowly). You say dirge, I say dignified. It's not the best national anthem (Wales, Russia, Germany, US and Scotland with Flower of Scotland (when done slowly) certainly beat it, but there are so many awful lightweight jolly ditties which it beats hands down.

Post edited at 15:28
 mbh 11 Sep 2022

I'm with you on jolly ditties, the Archers tune being one.

It's not just that our current national anthem is a very dull tune, it is that it puts God front and centre. God is mentioned 3 times in 8 lines of the first verse alone. I can go weeks without doing so.

There is no God. Can't we find a rallying cry that is stirring without being, at its base, false.

FactorXXX 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Maggot:

The current one is new... 🙄

fred99 12 Sep 2022
In reply to mbh:

But the current anthem does have one advantage - it already has a verse available in case Scotland goes independent.

Yanis Nayu 12 Sep 2022

> Well it's slow (best, like all the most moving national anthems when played particularly slowly). You say dirge, I say dignified. It's not the best national anthem (Wales, Russia, Germany, US and Scotland with Flower of Scotland (when done slowly) certainly beat it, but there are so many awful lightweight jolly ditties which it beats hands down.

It’s bloody awful. 

Robert Durran 12 Sep 2022
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> It’s bloody awful. 

Just seen and heard it played and sung in Westminster Hall after the King's address to parliament. Powerful and moving. 

FactorXXX 12 Sep 2022

> Just seen and heard it played and sung in Westminster Hall after the King's address to parliament. Powerful and moving. 

For pageantry occasions having a direct connection to royalty then it's ideal.
For other occasions such as sporting events then it does come across as bit of a dirge and with the words being a bit divisive. 

In reply to FactorXXX:

> For other occasions such as sporting events then it does come across as bit of a dirge and with the words being a bit divisive. 

I disagree with the dirge bit. Anyway, if people really don't like it at sporting events and so on, maybe a good compromise would be to have an alternative for less directly royal and constituional functions. Flower of Scotland works really well in Scotland since it was introduced. Maybe Jerusalem in England?

OP MG 12 Sep 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:

I think it's hard to sing well and so often becomes a dirge. I see Boris somehow managed to make the Westminster Hall clip centre on him.

In reply to MG:

> I think it's hard to sing well and so often becomes a dirge.

Anything can be done badly!

In reply to dunc56:

The Irish lady reading the news this weekend called him "king Charles the turd"

I thought that was a bit strong

JimR 12 Sep 2022

There's a lot of confusion about what the monarch's role actually is. That needs to be properly defined before attributing good or bad to the performance of it.

My first issue is that the monarchy is allegedly a constitutional monarchy with the monarch being a check on the executive, given that this check was last exercised by Queen Anne I'm not entirely convinced it still actually exists. It is however a convenient fiction for the executive (ie the PM) to exercise absolute power until his party rebels against him or her. It is high time we actually had a constitutional system that embraced a functional democracy with proper checks and balances. 

My second issue is that the monarchy is the bedrock on which the class system is perpetuated in England in particular (not so much Scotland). This is the cancer that is wrecking the modernisation of the UK socially, politically and commercially. 

I thought our late Queen played the hand she was dealt well and respected her. With the exception of HRH Anne I reckon the rest of the family are a bunch of misfits with many less than endearing qualities. 

Andy Clarke 13 Sep 2022

> I like God Save the King. What's wrong with it?

As a national anthem, it's not great for people like me, who love their homeland but not their monarch. Secondly, the birthplace of Shakespeare and Milton deserves far more inspirational rhetoric. Finally, I'd prefer an anthem that included the name of the nation in the verse that actually gets sung.

JRS 13 Sep 2022

> I like God Save the King. What's wrong with it? Seems suitably dignified to me.

Offensive to atheist republicans perhaps? 

But apparently they aren’t allowed to express their views.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/12/anti-monarchy-protester-cha...

I wouldn’t condone anyone expressing such views amongst people mourning for the Queen though.

Robert Durran 15 Sep 2022
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> As a national anthem, it's not great for people like me, who love their homeland but not their monarch. Secondly, the birthplace of Shakespeare and Milton deserves far more inspirational rhetoric. Finally, I'd prefer an anthem that included the name of the nation in the verse that actually gets sung.

All fair points, but I suppose the words simply reflect the system.

Anyway, when defending the anthem I was thinking entirely of the tune.

freeheel47 15 Sep 2022
In reply to Ciro:

then there is the inability to squeeze his own toothpaste, having someone iron his shoelaces, hold his pisspot when giving a urine sample and I think he was disgruntled that he was supposed to be the only Prince of Wales without a mistress, the wife of a brother officer.

But at least there are now positions available for all those jobs.

As for why he is King, it is because people believe that there is a supernatural being who interferes in the affairs of men and anointed him king on the death of his mother. 

neilh 15 Sep 2022
In reply to JimR:

What I have find unreal is still the constitutional connections with Canada ( in particular), Aus and NZ. Hardly backward and socially repressive countries. I expect that will change dramatically over the next couple of years, and about time to.Never understood why that had not changed before now. probably got other priorities though.

A fair summation of Anne and the other Royals . I do laugh at her character in the comedy, the Windsors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...