Kids' bikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 05 Dec 2018

Yes it's that time of year...can anyone recommend a good first kid's bike. Not looking for the cheapest but they're only 5 so clearly it will be outgrown in a few years.

Stichtplate 05 Dec 2018
In reply to Nic:

Frog bikes are brilliant but pricey, though they hold their value for re-sale.

In reply to Nic:

I asked the same question last week BTW, useful info here (I bought a Pinnacle Ash in the end, Evans gave me £20 for his old bike which swung it) In summary, everyone raves about Islabikes, which if you can afford seems to be the way to go... I wasn't interested due to the name (see thread). I looked at Frog, Hoy, Wiggins, Orbea and Pinnacle. In my opinion they are all much of a muchness, there is very little difference in weight and components are all very similar.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/biking/kids_bikes_advice_pls-696582?v=1#x...

Matt Rees 05 Dec 2018
In reply to Nic:

Islabikes are very good too. The Cnoc range of models is good for a 5 year old. Pricey but very well made.

In reply to Nic: Buy a decent second hand one. Presumably you will be after a 16" wheel one as it's for a 5 year old. My son had a Specialized Hot rock. We bought it second hand for £65 in really good condition and sold it a year and a half later for £60 in not quite so good condition. He loved it and got on really well with the coaster brake though some people don't like them. He did some epic rides on that and rode it on many trails in the Chamonix valley a couple of years back.

Philip 05 Dec 2018
In reply to Nic:

I second frog bikes. My 5 year old is getting his second, frog 52 hybrid (has gears) 20" wheels. He's just outgrown 14".

Giant also have a 20" for kids. Both are about £300. I'm hoping it will do 3 years and then another 3 with my daughter.

Cuda are also good.

Crazylegs 05 Dec 2018
In reply to Nic:

If you're prepared to stump up to get on the Islabike bike bandwagon with a decent secondhand cnoc, you can progress up the range selling each one for only a little less than you bought it for 2 years previous.  I've 2 kids and on our 4th Islabike and by the time we've finished with Islabikes in a few years, will probably not have spent more than a few hundred pounds in total (to enjoy about £2,000 of bikes at rrp).

Having looked at Frog as well, I preferred Islabike as they have a little more relaxed geometry.  Frog seemed to me to be a bit more stretched.  Both brands are good though and a key plus is their relative light weight.  Cheaper kids bikes are so heavy and not conducive to learning good bike handling.

Rog Wilko 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Crazylegs:

>  Cheaper kids bikes are so heavy and not conducive to learning good bike handling.

Or, indeed, to wanting to ride a bike at all!

Crazylegs 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Very true! A love of cycling is mandatory in our house and worthy of investment.

girlymonkey 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Nic:

I'd look at resale value. Kids outgrow them fast! Isla and frog, if bought second hand, will resell for about the same as you paid for it. Don't know about the others, but worth looking at.

OP Nic 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Nic:

thanks all - really helpful...Isla or Frog it is then!

Jus 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Nic:

Go 2nd hand Islabikes

You pretty much get the money you paid for it back 2 year later

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...