Kestrels nesting in my roof pt2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jimtitt 27 Jun 2019

Well they produced 6 ugly looking things, entertaining leaning out of my office window and seeing a row of horror-stories staring back. Past few days they are out and about shuffling along the beams to learn walking and flying and now they are plummetting to the ground then perching all over the place, the outside stairs, garden furniture, on a motorbike. Confuses the dogs!

Post edited at 16:40
cb294 27 Jun 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Nice!

CB

Rog Wilko 27 Jun 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

You lucky man!

Michael Hood 28 Jun 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Pictures?

OP jimtitt 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

Not being able to embed photos in thread is drawback with UKC. I could just as well put a link to Google.

mick taylor 28 Jun 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

I am VERY jealous.  What have they been feeding them on?

This morning I saw a sparrowhawk carry prey into its nest site. Last week saw a fox carrying a rabbit.  And I've been watching tawny owls all spring.

OP jimtitt 28 Jun 2019
In reply to mick taylor:

Field mice from the looks of it, a regular shuttle service of things dangling in the parents talons. One of the chicks is sitting on my windowsill right now, I could reach out and give it a push! Two sat on their beam and another wandering along on the ground, walking isn't their strong point. One of them didn't like my sons attentions and sank it's talons in his finger yesterday.

Billhook 28 Jun 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Absolutely wonderful Jim.  I've been watching two remote camcorders of kestrel's nests and both sets of youngsters have within the last few days also left the nest and are now outside exploring.

OP jimtitt 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Billhook:

They're entertaining for sure right now, you turn round and the things are everywhere. My Border Collie is thinking of herding them but isn't sure (he's trying to stare one down at the moment), the pointer has fallen asleep and the fat house cat makes a detour round them after yesterdays fright! Normally birds don't puff themselves up and look mean!

Post edited at 10:36
 Michael Hood 28 Jun 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

I hope you're filming loads of this.

You could make a wildlife documentary about it, how they've adapted to human environment, sounds absolutely enchanting.

Tom Valentine 28 Jun 2019
In reply to mick taylor:

I've been puzzled by weird bird sounds coming from the cemetery at the end of my garden all week, thinking about parakeets maybe, but this morning  I looked at my neighbour's fence and saw it was young magpies begging their parents for food. First time I've ever seen any baby crow type birds at all.

Pullhard 28 Jun 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Delighted for you, shame there is a serial disliker on the thread 

Wainers44 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Pullhard:

> Delighted for you, shame there is a serial disliker on the thread 

Gamekeeper creeping in maybe?

Wonderful thread.

Tom Valentine 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Probably the same Barbour-wearing bastard that clicks the dislike button every time I call Clarkson a c*nt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...