kenr RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jon 16 Oct 2019

Following a chance email conversation with a friend in America, I learned that Ken Roberts - kenr on UKC https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=122158 - was killed while walking in the Queyras area of the French Alps about three weeks ago. I didn't know Ken, but maybe others here did. He was a reasonably frequent contributor to the forums, always providing detailed first hand knowledge. Exact details of the accident are not yet known.

His wife was informed that he was hit on the head with a large rock, causing a 60+ meter fall and immediate death.  There were no indications of foul play or of reckless behavior.

According to his wife: 'Ken was excited by the opportunity to post new routes for climbers of all abilities.  He especially held dear families with children, and people who enjoyed climbing though they were not technically the most skilled climbers (climbers under 5.9 Yosemite rating).'

Doug 16 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Thanks for the news, other than his posts here I'd lost contact with Ken but did ski tour with him a few times with the Eagle Ski Club. I was always amazed at his knowledge of the Alps, especially for someone who (from memory) lived in New York.

Offwidth 16 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Sad news. I didn't know Ken but his posts were almost all what I wish most on this site could be, helpful and informative. The only exception I remember was his prediction of VR being standard soon in climbing gyms, more daftly optimistic than anything. He will be missed here. Condolences to family and friends. 

Iamgregp 16 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

What terribly sad news, seemed like a lovely fella, always keen to help people on here.  My thoughts go out to all who knew him.

planetmarshall 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> Sad news. I didn't know Ken but his posts were almost all what I wish most on this site could be, helpful and informative. The only exception I remember was his prediction of VR being standard soon in climbing gyms, more daftly optimistic than anything. He will be missed here. Condolences to family and friends. 

And yet many gyms are now equipped with Moonboard clones with LED lighting, and support for the Vertical Life app - so he wasn't far off.

RIP Ken.

BruceM 18 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Oh no.  That is very sad.  He was very active on here, and therefore like many of you, I felt like I would often "see him about".  He was also very passionate about the hills, which I really liked.  I hope his family and friends are able to smile at lots of happy thoughts of him in the hills.

Toerag 18 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

. I never knew him, but he did a lot for those interested in Via Ferrata on here, always posting detailed trip reports, route beta and helping people with their queries. His website is a really useful source of info too.  I'll miss him for sure, and thanks for letting us know Jon. When this thread eventually gets archived can you see that a copy gets to his wife so she knows how appreciated he was on here?

Post edited at 14:01
 Trangia 18 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends

OP jon 18 Oct 2019
In reply to Toerag:

Yes, of course.

bouldery bits 18 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Sad news indeed. My thoughts are with his family and friends. His well  to the finformed contributions to the forums will certainly be missed. 

Post edited at 23:05
 MarshRoberts 21 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Thank you all for your kind words.

Ken was a wonderful husband and a great lover of climbing, skiing and the outdoors.  Thanks for your support of him over the years.

blurty 23 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Sad to hear this. I was always interested to read his Ski Touring tips, ideas, locations etc.

A generous contributor to this forum.

RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...