Kayak cag - seal replacement?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 28 Nov 2022

It seems the latex wrist seals in my kayak cag are due replacement - one has perished and split, which means the other side probably isn't far away.

I've never had to get anything replaced on a cag before, so any recommendations where to go?

Rest of the cag is fine.

Thanks,

Post edited at 10:21
 Jenny C 28 Nov 2022
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I'd go to SDS watersports in Sheffield, but that's because it's local to me. Any large dive shop will be able to do it for you.

It is also possible to buy the seals and fit yourself, but it's messy and fiddly.

samej 28 Nov 2022

I've used this guy in the past

https://www.rubberman.co.uk/home.html

deepsoup 28 Nov 2022

+1 recommendation for Rubberman Chris. 

Very quick and efficient by post, or if you happen to be in North Wales you can drop in and he'll do them while you wait.  (But call first if you're going to do that because he might be out paddling.)

OP LastBoyScout 30 Nov 2022
In reply to samej:

I'm sure he's good, but I can't really justify spending £40 + postage to replace 2 seals on an old-ish cag that I got in a sale (Peak UK were £52 + postage).

Think I'll try doing it myself - just need to work out the size seals I need...

Thanks, all.

RobAJones 30 Nov 2022

I found it a bit tricky to make a tidy job of replacing neck seals, but wrist seals are pretty straightforward. 

StuPoo2 01 Dec 2022

Tricky one .... 

How much life is really left in your top? How much use has the top seen?  Other than the seals - is it still dry? Is it wetting out at all?

I'm going to guess that if the latex seals have perished then it's +3(?) years old and since you've not mentioned a 3rd latex seal on the neck it must be an entry level top.  @3yrs old ... and if you can pick up a replacement top @£50 range ... my inclination would be to replace it.  NSWaterSports still have 15% Black Friday sale going.  https://www.nswatersports.co.uk/clothing-c33/cags-c34

£5 for the wrist gaskets from Peak + £10 for the seamgrip = £15 total.  If you're jacket is really 3 years only then best case scenario its only worth £20 maybe today. If I'm right ... its maybe not worth it.

Interesting job to fit them if you've not done it before.  Can be a little messy first shot.  YouTube has some good videos to copy.

Bottom Clinger 01 Dec 2022

Seal replacement? Anything that’s fit for porpoise.

Couldn’t resist, sorry. 

Jenny C 01 Dec 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

Sadly the cost of professionally replacing wrist seals has always been high compared to the cost of a new cag.

I've heard very few success stories with DIY replacements, at best they look messy with glue.

StuPoo2 02 Dec 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

Preach ... 100% with you.  @ £50 range .. buy a new one.

OP LastBoyScout 02 Dec 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

It's an older cag, but hasn't seen that much use, it's fits me well and there's no other damage, so seems pointless to just bin it for the sake of a couple of seals.

It's a neoprene neck cone, so was never completely watertight, but snug enough that it keeps 99% of the water out.

I've just replaced my summer cag, as it had gone a funny colour and the taping was coming undone, so don't really want to spend £££ on another cag right now. Part of me is curious about trying it, anyway.

OP LastBoyScout 02 Dec 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

> Sadly the cost of professionally replacing wrist seals has always been high compared to the cost of a new cag.

Same as a myriad of other things - leads to many things being binned that were otherwise fine, I'm sure.

> I've heard very few success stories with DIY replacements, at best they look messy with glue.

They have neoprene cuffs over the top - no-one will ever see my efforts

StuPoo2 02 Dec 2022

> Part of me is curious about trying it, anyway.

Will come back and post a pick of how you get on???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...