£ just keeping falling next 6 weeks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 06 Aug 2019

Entirely selfish question not to do with politics or longer term economic stability. I am off for a short holiday in Canada and USA soon. Am I as well off just getting a load of cash out now in Canadian and US dollars rather than letting the pound slide further and further? For the amounts I am looking to spend over there maybe there's not much in it and the risk of carrying a load of cash outweighs a couple of hundred dollar total potential saving...?

Mike-W-99 06 Aug 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Can you get a prepaid debit card? I keep mine topped up with a few currencies whenever the rate looks good. Beats carrying cash.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

I have a Revolut card, I did not think to top up in specific different currencies, I usually just top up in £ and use it as and when. Thanks. I'll look into whether I can do what you suggest. 

Timmd 06 Aug 2019

Probably based on not much more than my sense of gloom allied with how the pound has done so far, I'd get the money sorted now. If we somehow end up not leaving the EU or having No Deal, the pound could rally I guess, but that's longer away than six weeks. 

If you could have a nice holiday with the current exchange rate, and the pound strengthens after you've changed your money, I guess it's basically a process of managing one's thoughts to avoid feeling 'irked' rather than a physical form of suffering.   

I'm obviously not an economist....

Post edited at 14:11
 balmybaldwin 06 Aug 2019

I grappled with this earlier in the year when 31st March was the Dead line...  I was "lucky" enough to get US$@ 1.31:£ 

I think the best bet is get half your money now and half in a few weeks - hedge your bets

Jenny C 06 Aug 2019

Unless Mr Trump says something monumentally stupid (or someone makes positive moves to show that no deal Brexit isn't a forgone conclusion), I think there is little hope of the pound strengthening in the immediate future. 

Timmd 06 Aug 2019
In reply to Jenny C: Yes, if the recent motion up in Edinburgh succeeds in stopping a No Deal, or something else happens in relation to London Houses of Commons that might strengthen the pound.

John2 06 Aug 2019

The general opinion in the FT is that  it's not impossible that the pound will go to parity with the US dollar.

Timmd 06 Aug 2019
In reply to John2:

Reckon I'll do any ebaying for things from the US now in case it does.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...