Jupiter - the big orange storm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 01 Mar 2020

I may have read it all wrong but ...

Jupiter is all gas and liquid. How do we know this when we can't see through the outer  layers ?

I has an orange storm - of wider diameter than planet earth. It has endured for hundreds of years. How can this phenomena exist when all around is motile ? External evidence is of clouds which tower hundreds of km above the general cloud mass.

Cloud / vapour blocks the view to what is going on below; no-one has explained this phenomena, got any theories ?

Tom Valentine 01 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

My understanding is that even the top scientists can't answer your question properly . They seem to agree that it is shrinking, though.

OP LeeWood 01 Mar 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Should this stop us theorising ? I thought we had some of the best scientists here on ukc

Lankyman 01 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

I am a top scientist with a PhD in advanced Lethargy and Apathy. I solved this problem once while watching dirty dishwater going down the plughole (curry had been the main dish). I thought about writing it up for peer review but, after lying down for a while, could not be bothered. I think an alien spacecraft plummeting into the planet is probably close to the real answer. Have you tried Wikipedia or Youtube - most of the UKC top scientists seem to get their answers from there?

In reply to LeeWood:

> Jupiter is all gas and liquid. 

Actually a lot of research points to the existence of a solid core . Estimates vary as to its size but I seem to remember one suggesting twice the earth's diameter  and thirty times the mass. How this would tie in with the red spot I can't imagine.

wbo2 01 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood: I was going to write something but the wikipedia reference does,a decent job.  It's pretty similar to a storm on earth really - but different 

OP LeeWood 01 Mar 2020
In reply to wbo2:

Yes, of course I read that before. Given that the spot has persisted so long, and in light of comparisons with earth - one would imagine that it related to the planets crust, but here the problem - a prior assumption that the planet is liquid. Even if it has the solid centre which Tom refers to, that would be miniscule w r t the placement of an externally observed  feature such as the spot

wbo2 01 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:no, not really.  It's about the same lat, but moves around longitudinally.  It's associated with movement and rotational forces in the planet's atmosphere

In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Actually a lot of research points to the existence of a solid core . Estimates vary as to its size but I seem to remember one suggesting twice the earth's diameter  and thirty times the mass. How this would tie in with the red spot I can't imagine.

I heard speculation that it could be a metallic hydrogen core.  

wercat 01 Mar 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Arthur C. Clarke hoped it might be an Earth sized diamond!

In reply to wercat:

It would have probably have  affected prices in Hatton Garden.

OP LeeWood 01 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat & wbo2:

whatever it is there is immense gravity and thus immense pressure - which may lead to an escape channel oriented under this storm spot; as the solid centre is well deep relative to surface clouds it would be natural for it to wander - long and lat (wbo2) but there must still be a physical feature to keep it roughly where it is, otheriwse it would just drift off like eddies in a river cross-currents

Dave the Rave 01 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Wait for Coal. He will know.

wbo2 01 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood: no, honestly there doesn't need to be.  The atmosphere is organised as a series of rotating bands, the size of which will be controlled by a combination of planet size, physical properties of the atmosphere, and the rate of rotation.   If you look at a satellite image of Jupiter you can see them.  Similar effects occur on the earth..  horse latitudes, in the southern ocean a band of storms. 

The red spot is a big eddy in one of these bands.  It doesn't move latitude much as its stuck in a band, but if does move longitude... it's not fixed

In reply to LeeWood:

> whatever it is there is immense gravity and thus immense pressure - which may lead to an escape channel oriented under this storm spot; as the solid centre is well deep relative to surface clouds it would be natural for it to wander - long and lat (wbo2) but there must still be a physical feature to keep it roughly where it is, otheriwse it would just drift off like eddies in a river cross-currents

Couldn't it be shaped by the solar wind or magnetic effects

krikoman 02 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

I thought it had solid hydrogen core

OP LeeWood 02 Mar 2020
In reply to wbo2:

> Similar effects occur on the earth..  horse latitudes, in the southern ocean a band of storms

But here the difference - on planet earth storms relate to physical features and relative heating between land and sea. You almost speak as tho there's really no mystery ...

https://www.iflscience.com/space/great-red-spot-orange-pimple-jupiter-s-sup...

'A fluid instability would disappear in a few days to weeks, as in the case of the scars caused when several fragments of the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 struck Jupiter in 1994 – so an energy source must be powering it'

As also evidenced by the growing height of these storm clouds - the Great Red Spot is shrinking in diameter but 8km taller than surrounding clouds - and getting taller. I mean to say - if there's an energy source it can't just float around at will, can it ?

Phil79 02 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Jupiters_Massive_Winds_Likely_Generated_...

This provides some interesting speculation/theories as to what might be responsible.

I guess its entirely unlike the earth in many ways. We have solid crust and a thin not very dense atmosphere, and wind on earth is driven by solor heating. 

Jupiter is more like a star, largely comprised of hydrogen and helium, and atmospheric winds are driven by internal rather than external heat.

malk 02 Mar 2020
In reply to krikoman:

hydrogen is a metallic liquid at those pressures/temps? more likely to have had a rock/ice core to attract the gas in the first place? which would also be acting like a metal (if it still exists) and may explain jupiter's odd magnetic field? :

https://www.sciencealert.com/jupiter-magnetic-field-asymmetrical-great-blue...

the persistence of the red spot reminds me of hotspots on earth from mantle plumes. maybe similar plumes on jupiter coming from the deep?

https://www.universetoday.com/47966/jupiters-core/

OP LeeWood 02 Mar 2020
In reply to malk:

so it seems unlikely we'll ever be sending a rover to land on Jupiter

Tom Valentine 02 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Europa is more likely to be a destination of interest in that respect.

wbo2 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine: SO many of Jupiters moons would be an interesting target

To malk - mantle plumes are an interesting analogy... some of those are VERY persistent in comparism to the continents, oceans, skidding over the top of them.  .

I was thinking a little about this this morning,, that you have this mahoosive planet, spinning round, so the velocity difference at a point at the pole compared to a point on the equator must be enormous,,, with a heavy , dense atmosphere.  This can't all rotate as one so the revolution will tear the atmosphere into the bands we see and eddys, storms are an inevitable consequence. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...