It will be soon be the 24th of March again..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 17 Feb 2021

There will be lots of looking back over the past year and intolerably large amounts of post mortems, and "smart" media people being wise after the event.

Instead I would rather look forward and aim to plan in a better way. So what would you suggest for the future? Are there general principles that we can aim to follow?

MG 17 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

Don't eat bats or pangolins.

Rob Exile Ward 17 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

I quite liked how things were before the pandemic and would like to go back.

Apart from Brexit, obv.

wintertree 17 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

I hear there’s a new Ebola outbreak...

Removed User 17 Feb 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Two actually. Good God...

Post edited at 09:53
OP veteye 17 Feb 2021
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Yes we'd all like that, but the time to get back to that state socially will be quite a long time: And the time to get back to the previous economy, both due to Corona Virus infection and Brexit will be more like 15 years.

I was wondering if we should all aim to be still wearing masks on public transport in 9 months time? Will we still be having to live an isolated life in the most part in 6 months time? Should we individually be aiming to be more careful than instructed by the government, even after lockdown is gradually released?

In other words should we be wary of trusting the government's decisions in the next phase?

Graeme G 17 Feb 2021

> I quite liked how things were before the pandemic and would like to go back.

With global warming and a million species at risk of extinction? 

Sorry......it was an open goal.

OP veteye 17 Feb 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Ebola had a vaccine developed fairly quickly too. At least it kills a good number at source and can be isolated out in a different way.

I just thank goodness that the mutated virus was the Corona virus and not a Parvo virus, which is much tougher to kill off in the environment, and can last outside on surfaces for a long time, and be passed on your feet etc.

wintertree 17 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

I recently heard of something called “alpha gal syndrome” which is an infection caused by a tick bite that makes you violently allergic to red meat.  Genuinely the stuff of nightmares.  I’ll go and read about the Parvo virus and see if it takes meat allergy off my mind.

Post edited at 10:02
OP veteye 17 Feb 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Go chew on a tick, then you'll be more sure to just be a white meat eater(supposedly better for you) or a vegetarian or even vegan. (I cannot do the latter. I love cheese too much.)

wintertree 17 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

> I just thank goodness that the mutated virus was the Corona virus and not a Parvo virus, which is much tougher to kill off in the environment, and can last outside on surfaces for a long time, and be passed on your feet etc.

Having read the Wikipedia page, I wish I hand't.  

ianstevens 17 Feb 2021
In reply to MG:

> Don't eat bats or pangolins.

Don't eat animals full stop (see BSE/CJD)

cb294 17 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

That, or a nice picornavirus that can be blown long distances, even across the sea, with dust storms, e.g. from Northern China to Japan....

When I was still in working virology our favourite horror scenarios were a standard human herpesvirus acquiring the oncogenes from our lab pet, a leukemia inducing monkey herpesvirus, and of course ebeasles: Deadly like Ebola, but transmissible by air and infectious like measles.

In fact, this is probably what measles looked like after the virus jumped over from cows, once dairy farming and living in cities became fashionable. There are old, Mesopotamian documents available where the governor of some town writes to his king that, Crom be praised, the disease decimating his people is "only" the smallpox!

CB

OP veteye 17 Feb 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Well I can understand that. It was bad enough when I was a vet student seeing practice, when it moved across from panleukopaenia virus in cats to being canine Parvo virus. 

We were seeing puppies dying of heart failure due to the virus attacking the rapidly dividing cells of the heart.

We were also seeing lots of dogs vomiting blood and passing profuse amounts of bloody diarrhoea. We all felt like leppers, inasmuch as we were worried about passing the virus on, even though we poddled our feet/shoes in hypocholorite etc and washed our hands and arms endlessly. 

The stench was vile. 

Another form, from what I remember affects certain racial groups with sickle cell anaemia. No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

OP veteye 17 Feb 2021
In reply to cb294:

I have a feeling that there was a program on that on "In our time" with Melvin Bragg, talking of the decimation back in those ancient times.

graeme jackson 17 Feb 2021
In reply to Removed User:

> Two actually. Good God...

Do you ever get the feeling Mother Nature is trying to rid herself of an annoying parasite?

cb294 17 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

AFAIK the only human parvovirus is B19 which causes fifth disease in children and severe anemia in AIDS patients. So, seems entirely plausible that it it also gives trouble for people who have an underlying different kind of anemia, but I do not really know.

CB

PaulJepson 17 Feb 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Something widespread that makes people allergic to consuming animal products really would be fantastic for the health of the planet, whichever side of the plant-based vs keto diet battle-line you're screaming from. Truly a case of mother nature addressing imbalances.   

wintertree 17 Feb 2021
In reply to PaulJepson and graeme jackson:

It seems likely the contagious disease has been boxing up species that grow too dense and numerous over the aeons.  A fatalist might start to think humanity has just hit that tipping point.

From a personal perspective, I’m thinking the stars it’s happening after we start to see mastery of the biological arts in our grasp.  If covid had hit 25 years ago... !

From a planetary perspective, it’s back to the drawing board for the balance of nature... Ecologically inspired bio terrorism seems ever more possible.

Toerag 17 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

I think it would be something that spreads like mad but only has a delayed effect i.e. you get infected tomorrow but then kills you in 10 years. That way everyone in the world would get it, then you suddenly discover you're going to die a lot earlier than planned. A 'viral cancer' in terms of its effects.

In reply to veteye:

Well this thread has taken a cheery turn!

Rob Exile Ward 17 Feb 2021
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Should we start talking about meteorites as well?

Please don’t. I’ll be irrevocably lost down a rabbit hole of Preppers blogs by the time the day is out!

Cobra_Head 17 Feb 2021
In reply to wintertree:

> I hear there’s a new Ebola outbreak...

I know, wait till it mates with covid!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...