Is this a fraud attempt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Wakeham 18 Sep 2019

I've a new-ish Sainsbury's Bank credit card.  Just tried to buy a £5 used CD from CEX.  Transaction declined for no obvious reason.

Within a minute I had a text from 'SAINSBURYS' saying that they'd like to check some transactions, and a minute after that another from 85016 asking me to reply 'Y' if the £5 transaction from CEX was me, and 'N' if not, or to call 0800 3683262.  I tried to reply Y, but my phone warned me that there would be a charge if I sent a message to this number.

Alarm bells started to ring and I called the Sainsbury's Bank helpline (from their website, not the 0800 number above).  After some faff I got through to the fraud team.  He's told me that a) he could see the declined transaction, b) he didn't see any reason for it to have declined, c) Sainsburys have not sent me any text messages.

He asked me to try again with the transaction and it went through.  He didn't seem very worried about the text and was only concerned with making sure my card was unblocked - he has asked me to check further transations with them to make sure no-one is using my card.

Meanwhile, my mobile rang - from the same 0800 number above.  It left an automated voicemail giving the transaction details and asking me to call back.

Can't quite get my head around this.  Either Sainsbury's is just being massively incompetent, and the fraud staff I spoke to couldn't see on his screen that they had texted and rung me.  But that still doesn't explain the warning that my mobile would be charged for replying.

Or this is some clever scam, where replying to the text will result in a large charge being made to my mobile bill?  But how the heck did they know that CEX had just mysteriously turned down a transaction?

Any ideas?

tjdodd 18 Sep 2019
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

I am sure I have been texted to confirm transactions before (not Sainsbury's).  Responding to the text is not giving away any financial information so seems safe to me.  All my texts are free so no cost associated (but if it did cost me that would be a pain).

Sounds to me like Sainsbury's do not know their own systems.

OP Jamie Wakeham 18 Sep 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

Yes - replying to a (genuine) text to say 'yes that's me' seems fine and I've done that before with other providers.  It's the combination of Sainsbury's claim that they haven't sent me a text, and my phone's warning that this isn't a free number, that's worrying me...

Rigid Raider 18 Sep 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

That's entirely believeable given the poor calibre of most bank branch and call-centre staff nowadays. 

tjdodd 18 Sep 2019

Just found

https://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/security/online-transactions

Not quite the same as it talks about a passcode in the text message.  I understand all banks are adding this new layer of security now.

yorkshireman 18 Sep 2019

It smells scamish in that you shouldn't really have to respond back to the SMS in a well designed system.

I've lived in France for 8 years and all this time my banks have had multi-factor approval for most online transactions. If I buy something online, I get redirected to a page where I have to enter the code that is sent to me by SMS at the same time.

Works fairly well (apart from the time our local cell signal disappeared for weeks and so buying stuff from home was frustrating) but then a) I know what I'm meant to do, you would think your bank would have told you if it was legit and b) there's no chance of being stitched up by fraudulent SMS charges for the response.

profitofdoom 18 Sep 2019

Whenever I'm asked or told to call or text a number, I don't do it

Whenever I'm asked or told to go to a website or click on a link, I don't do it

Works for me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...