Is Kinder in nik yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 02 Dec 2022

With the changing climate, are we now realistically about to say goodbye to full-on winter conditions lasting longer than a few days in the UK?

Brass Nipples 02 Dec 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

The hags are in great shape, better than the 80s when a lot of the vegetation that holds them together was gone due to acid rain.

toad 03 Dec 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

If you see a bloke wandering about up there with a long stick, poking it in the peat and then measuring it - say Hi, cos it might be me! Next few weeks at least. 

olddirtydoggy 03 Dec 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Last year on the 29th of November, almost exactly a year ago we climbed up the ice on Shining Clough (Winter) (III) Who would have thought that would have been in nick so early. A year before we had a go up Wildboar Clough (Winter) (II/III) Whilst they are not in a league of KD, they are worth a plod for the fun of it. It will be a case as time goes on about being a quick hit opportunist.

Removed User 03 Dec 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

I had a wonderfully spooky night out soloing the ice on Wildboar Clough a few years back. Topped out on the plateau and then got a good dose of the Bleaklow fear followed by a very swift yomp back down to the road.

Lankyman 03 Dec 2022
In reply to Removed User:

See any strange lights, American airmen, Roman soldiers etc?

mrphilipoldham 03 Dec 2022
In reply to Removed User:

That sounds pleasantly chilling. A nice feeling to remember, back in the safety of the pub.

Removed User 05 Dec 2022
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Yes a good adventure, recommended conditions being very still, misty and dark of course. Missed the pub due to topping out about midnight, but the nervousness stuck with me a while!

Post edited at 10:13
 Jimp97 06 Dec 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

I know this thread is always a bit of a piss take every year but what are the chances over the next few days, forecasts are predicting it to be around -5/6 for 5 nights on the trot. 

I know its complex matter and the flow rate can make a big difference (not sure what downfalls like at the minute as I've not been up there for a while) and it doesn't seem like we will be getting much snow either which can help...

TobyA 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Jimp97:

> I know its complex matter and the flow rate can make a big difference (not sure what downfalls like at the minute as I've not been up there for a while) and it doesn't seem like we will be getting much snow either which can help...

Those are all fair points - although some snow might help - I did Crowden Clough in December a few years ago and although there wasn't a big ice pitch you see in the photos from the best years, there was some snow that had been made soggy from the stream all over the place - and that had frozen into passable snow ice it lots of places. The amount of snow all over made it look pretty wintery as well, even if it wasn't pure water ice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...