Is it a bug...is it a bee?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Queenie 11 Apr 2021

I just spotted this beastie in the garden. Sluggish and seems to be waiting for the sun's rays to warm it up. Can anyone identify it please? Long, pointy proboscis and a white tum. Honey bee size.

wintertree 11 Apr 2021
In reply to Queenie:

We saw one last week for the time.  Dr Wintertree found it eventually on google and reckons it’s a fly that mimics a bee for some reason but that has no sting.  

OP Queenie 11 Apr 2021

Ah that's great, thanks guys. The proboscis is not as threatening as it seems then.  I like this extract from TDB's link: "In parts of East Anglia, locals refer to them as beewhals, thanks to their tusk-like appendages. "

nathan79 11 Apr 2021
In reply to Queenie:

Beewhal is a great name for them! Seeing a lot of pictures of bee flies at the moment but frustratingly I have yet to come across any myself.

Lankyman 11 Apr 2021
In reply to Queenie:

Wood wasps look similarly alarming. The first time I recall seeing one (Scotland I think) I was quite worried, thinking I was in danger.

Billhook 11 Apr 2021
In reply to Queenie:

https://www.brc.ac.uk/soldierflies-and-allies/bee-flies?fbclid=IwAR1Sl45_lR...

Dark Edged bee flies have been reported recently a couple of times near where I live near Whitby.

MG 11 Apr 2021
In reply to Queenie:

Hmmph. The entire world except me seems to have bee flies!

Toerag 12 Apr 2021
In reply to MG:

> Hmmph. The entire world except me seems to have bee flies!

A few have been posted in Channel islands insect groups recently too :-p .

Dave Garnett 12 Apr 2021
In reply to MG:

> Hmmph. The entire world except me seems to have bee flies!

Frustratingly, I've never seen one either, despite having various other specimens of bee-impersonating flies on my bookshelf! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...