Is exercise the key to vaccine success?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 21 Apr 2021

This article thinks so, and the idea certainly appeals to my sense that people should generally be more active.

Is the science behind it legit or is it more snake oil? I guess more exercise is never going to be a bad thing

https://theconversation.com/exercise-boosts-immunity-and-makes-vaccines-mor...

Neil Williams 21 Apr 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I'm with you that it basically doesn't matter because exercise is good anyway.

summo 21 Apr 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

It might just be correlation, those who train likely eat, sleep and generally try to live healthier than those who don't. Non smokers, less alcohol, better hydration...

OP girlymonkey 21 Apr 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

I guess if the science is robust then it is easier to convince more people to get out and do it. Although, there is already robust evidence of the benefits in so many other areas of life and that doesn't convince many people!

I wonder if the winter wave was worse because people weren't exercising as much as they were last spring?

Ridge 21 Apr 2021

> I'm with you that it basically doesn't matter because exercise is good anyway.

I wonder if there's a point where more strenuous types of exercise becomes counterproductive? I find it pretty easy to get run down if I overdo the mileage.

SouthernSteve 21 Apr 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> I wonder if there's a point where more strenuous types of exercise becomes counterproductive? I find it pretty easy to get run down if I overdo the mileage.

This has been shown and reported in older studies, but more recently has been questioned. It makes sense that high levels of stress, whatever the cause will reduce immunity, but I am not sure what the consensus is now.

Neil Williams 21 Apr 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> I wonder if there's a point where more strenuous types of exercise becomes counterproductive? I find it pretty easy to get run down if I overdo the mileage.

Yes, certainly if I do a marathon or further it knocks me for six and I always end up having a rotten cold afterwards, but I don't think we're talking about that sort of thing which is more "endurance events" than "exercise".

wercat 21 Apr 2021

one of the reasons I was quite happy to drive for exercise last year was that I was recovering from a long respiratory infection that knocked me out through the whole of December, January and March and felt so debilitated I thought I had to get out and exercise to build up any resistance/strength to fight, whatever funnygov.co.uk was muttering

Crooked ministers telling me I had to stay in a polluted village air of smoky chimneys through the cold spring didn't seem a very good idea at all.

Post edited at 22:22
 wercat 21 Apr 2021
In reply to Ridge:

anything to excess is bad except happiness and health

wercat 21 Apr 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

don't forget the poor air quality in winter as well

Andy Gamisou 22 Apr 2021
In reply to wercat:

> anything to excess is bad except happiness and health

Oh I don't know - there's nothing like a bit of pain and misery to help you enjoy the happiness and health more when (if) it arrives.

Offwidth 22 Apr 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

There does seem to be plenty of anecdote about a link between fitness and long covid (for the group that didn't need hospitalisation initially) so vaccination could be important for fit younger adults in avoiding that. The three people I know best with long covid were all very fit.

summo 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

It's possible that folk who do very little, drive everywhere, never take the stairs etc... don't notice a drop in their physical performance, they weren't exactly flying before covid! 

Note; I'm not suggesting long covid doesn't exist, but some people's idea of being active differs to others. 

Michael Hood 22 Apr 2021
In reply to summo:

It might be more in line with the fact that people who are fit may be more likely to push through their "recovery" from Covid and overdo it resulting in long Covid.

I've posted similar on one of the other threads but this IMO is similar to how a lot of people get ME/CFS which has a lot of similarity to long Covid (I suspect they overlap to a significant extent).

summo 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

Yeah. Having not had it(knowingly), I would find it hard to say rest for two weeks, if I felt symptoms had gone after 1 week. 

Offwidth 22 Apr 2021

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...