International Driving Permit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 24 Feb 2020

So, seems we all need an IDP to hire a car abroad these these days. GOV.UK says go to the postoffice.  Anyone done this recently and know the script?

What to I need to take with me to the post office? Just my plastic card bit of my UK licence? Is there a massive form to be filled in that takes forever? What's the deal?

Thanks in advance.

Fredt 24 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS:

You just need your drivers license and a passport photo. A passport and utility bill may be useful. No forms to fill in, just answer questions.

Neil Williams 24 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS:

Is this EU/EEA/CH?  If so the Brexit deal means you don't need one, for now at least.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

OP JLS 24 Feb 2020
In reply to Fredt:

Thanks. I didn't know I needed a passport photo! That may have saved me a wasted trip...

OP JLS 24 Feb 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

The Munich hire company's docuement says otherwise. I, pragmatically, don't think I'll risk taking the chance... it would be a hassel.

Blue Straggler 24 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS:

Information about this requirement has always been muddled. Like you, I decided to just get one in order to not risk it. It looked like I needed one for Portugal last year. For the sake of £7 (I think) and a passport photo and trip to a suitable post office (Make sure you go to one that can issue them), I just got one. 
Form is simple and easy and I think they issue the IDP on the spot. 
Hertz in Portugal didn’t ask for it and actually told me I didn’t need to have bothered !

But still better to have it and not need it. 

LastBoyScout 24 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS:

I purposely got one for Australia, as would have been a disaster turning up at the campervan hire place without, but was never asked for.

I don't think it's really worth the paper it's printed on, but, as said, for £7, it's worth the peace of mind.

You might as well tick every country on it, not just the one(s) you're intending getting it for.

More importantly, don't forget the DVLA codes for your actual driving licence - you will, for some reason, need your National Insurance number: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Neil Williams 24 Feb 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Though interestingly I have never been asked for a DVLA code when hiring a car (I've never hired a car in the UK, where you are near-certain to be asked for it, only outside of it).

LastBoyScout 24 Feb 2020

> Though interestingly I have never been asked for a DVLA code when hiring a car (I've never hired a car in the UK, where you are near-certain to be asked for it, only outside of it).

I have - Cyprus last August was the last one I remember.

arch 24 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS:

I got stopped by the Cops in Los Angleas a few years ago, they didn't even know what it was.

Jim Fraser 25 Feb 2020

> Is this EU/EEA/CH?  If so the Brexit deal means you don't need one, for now at least.

None of the above. Various international conventions. (Probably in the UN Treaty Collection.)

EU/EEA stuff since 80s but we still didnt need IDP before that. Maybe 60s when we last needed IDP for neighbouring European countries??? Anyone??? You had to prove you needed one or they wouldn't issue it. You still needed one for Switzerland quite late on, so folk would play the CH card to get one.

Glug 25 Feb 2020
In reply to Jim Fraser:

If you only have a paper licence, you have needed one for some countries in Europe.

JMarkW 25 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS:

Just booked a car in the USA and the rental company specifically said i don't need one if my license is in English and I don't need the DVLA codes either.

Got one for Morocco couple years ago and was never asked for it. It also looks a proper mickey mouse piece of documentation.

cheers

mark

profitofdoom 25 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS:

I got one at the Post Office last week. I just showed my UK license and handed over one photo and 5 pounds 50 p. The woman did it all for me in 7 or 8 minutes. PS not all Post Offices do it, you need to check that first

Toerag 25 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS:

It's essentially a translation of your license into the relevant language.  Once the Brexit transition period expires its highly likely you'll need one specific to the countries you want to go to.  For example, Spain and France are signed up to different treaties, and you'll need different IDPs for each.

Guernsey (as a Crown Dependency) is covered by the Treaty the UK has recently signed up to; but as we're not part of the UK the Brexit transition period doesn't apply to us. Therefore we're a step ahead of the UK in that respect. Details here of what is likely to apply to the UK once transition is over:- https://gov.gg/drivingabroad

Blue Straggler 25 Feb 2020

What is a DVLA code as mentioned by several on here? 

toad 25 Feb 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

It's the virtual equivalent of the old paper part of your license.  The bit that shows your convictions or otherwise. You go on the dvla website and enter your details. They give you a code valid for a couple of weeks that let's a third party verify your eligibility

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...