Insured with eSure? You may not be!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Moacs 03 Nov 2021

Please be alert to one of the insurance industry's latest scams.

I got a buildings/contents insurance renewal e-mail, full of wonderful extras to distract from a rising premium.  It said it would auto renew if I did nothing, but I should check the cover was still appropriate by logging onto my online account (which I hadn't previously created).

I called to query the increase...and was told that they'd changed the terms of the cover to require a monitored-base alarm system to be installed.  We have an alarm, it was in the house when we moved.  It's comprehensive but lacks call-to-monitored-base.  Not good enough apparently.  I asked how I would have known if I'd let the policy auto renew and was told they'd sent me an e-mail to that effect.  I said I'd had nothing other than the renewal notice and was told that if I logged into my account it would tell me.

So, I created an account and logged in and looked at all the documents and could find nothing about it.

Later that day I got an email specifying that I needed a compliant alarm within 30 days or cover was invalid.

I've changed provider, but the point is that if I hadn't called I almost certainly wouldn't know, and although the renewal did say to check cover, it didn't say that a major term was changing and I could be left with invalid cover.  The change probably is buried in the website pages somewhere, but I couldn't find it and I was specifically looking for it.

So if you are with eSure you're at risk of this:

"Hi, I want to claim on a burglary"

"Oh dear, was your alarm set?"

"Yes"

"And did the monitoring people turn up within the specified response time"

"It's not a monitored alarm"

"Your insurance is invalid"

I expect they're not the only ones.

Route Adjuster 03 Nov 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Sounds like usual tactics on behalf of insurance companies - include lots of clauses so that if you answer a question the wrong way your insurance is invalid.  Nightmare to navigate when you need it as that is when you are probably most stressed and least likely to calmly read through your policy with a critical eye.  

I had experience years ago of not being able to claim for items lost in a vehicle theft (the vehicle was stolen, not broken into).  because my items were not in a "locked and concealed area inside the vehicle" I couldn't claim!  Not sure how you fit a rucksack and a change of clothes into a glove compartment!

Bar stewards, the lot of them!

Pedro50 03 Nov 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Michael Winner must be turning in his grave.

Yanis Nayu 03 Nov 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Direct Line are cnuts too. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...