Independent things to do in Brighton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 01 Jul 2022

Does anyone have any recommendations for things to do in Brighton? They would need to be dog friendly (except shops where one of us can stay outside).

I’ve put independent - but I guess what I mean is really things which aren’t chains/fancy/things we could do elsewhere. We’ve been told that it’s quite an alternative place so things along that like would be ideal.

Probably 1-2 nights max so looking for things like:

• Nice cafe/coffee roasters
  • Restaurant - ideally with lots of veggie options after 3 weeks eating bratwurst in Germany.
  • Art Gallery or Small Studios/Exhibitions
  • Live music venues
  • Any particularly nice areas of the city
  • Central dog walks

A bit of a vague request but hopefully we can find a few gems which we might have otherwise missed.

My only experience of Brighton was going to n office there, getting my car broken into and getting shat on by a seagull, so any recommendations can’t end up worse than that.

Thanks!

Post edited at 19:04
 Babika 01 Jul 2022
In reply to James Malloch:

I'm off to Brighton to see the England women's football team play Norway in the Euros next week. 

That's probably quite alternative for UKC

Trangia 01 Jul 2022

For your 3rd request, the Royal Pavilion is a must. 

Post edited at 19:20
 Hooo 01 Jul 2022

Coffee wise you have so much choice of quality coffee that you'd be hospitalised with a caffeine overdose if you tried them all. I'm a coffee snob but there are so many I haven't tried anywhere near all of them. If it looks good it'll be worth a go.

It's been a few years since I last went, but Terre a terre is the best vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to (I am a carnivore though).

There are a few very good ice cream places, my favourite is Gelato Gusto in the North Lanes. 

Checking out the North Lanes is pretty much compulsory. 

If you want to blend in, put your dog on a string and get shitfaced by midday.

jasonC abroad 01 Jul 2022

I don't know  Brighton that well, but I've taken my dog there a few times. I'd suggest walking your dog along the beach front there are miles of walking to do.  Walking the dog in the city itself is probably not a good option.

As for vegetarian food I don't think you'll have a problem finding good options given the alternative nature of the town, pretty much the same for music venues though I don't know if any are dog friendly.

LucaC 03 Jul 2022

I grew up in Brighton, some suggestions: 

Coffee - Pelicano in the North Laine or Small Batch Coffee. 

Veg restaurants - Planet India for some excellent home style cooking, Fatto A Mano for pizza, Kitgum Kitchen for African/Indian fusion. Terre a Terre and Food for Friends are the classic veg/vegan suggestions but I think they're over priced and a bit underwhelming. 

Drink - Craft or the Evening Star

Culture - The Royal Pavillion is unique, but super touristy and not dog friendly. The Brighton museum is more interesting. The Palace Pier is grotty, but certainly a tourist attraction. Wandering around the North Laine and South Lanes are nice if you like browsing in small shops. Anywhere away from the centre along the seafront is nice to walk the dog. 

Music - Concorde 2 & Komedia are probably the best venues for well known bands, but theres so much music in Brighton you'll be able to fine something which fits your taste if you have a google for whatever genre you would like to see. 

Post edited at 10:19
 Bottom Clinger 03 Jul 2022

We strolled for hours along the seafront.  The fish and chips just before you go on the pier are superb. There’s parts of the seafront with plenty of art galleries/shops. 

SouthernSteve 03 Jul 2022

The start of the downs above the town are good for a run or a dog walk. From the centre, go to the corner of Red Hill above the marina and it is then easy to cross through Woodingdean onto the Castle Hill National Nature reserve if you want to go further. Those runs and time out with the dog (when staying in Ovingdean) were my salvation for a while.

There are quite a lot of 20 mph speed areas, some get cross at your obedience, but tickets are not unheard of.

OP James Malloch 08 Jul 2022

Thanks for all the information, and sorry for my late response. 

We’ve got a campsite booked and we’re going to spend the weekend there. Got a few things booked and lots of things noted to check out tonight/tomorrow.

I really appreciate the replies.

nniff 08 Jul 2022

If you've got a car, go to Shoreham for a walk along the dog-friendly beach (boardwalk or toes in the water), then go to Teddy's Tea Room for brunch.  Just over the footbridge towards the church, in the pedestrianised bit.  Either inside  or out.  Fabulous fully-loaded breakfast that makes the Regency in Brighton looks like a cheap knock-off. Also does all the avocado stuff too if that's your preference

Tringa 08 Jul 2022

Can't help with the in town attraction but if you have the time and the inclination the South Downs around Brighton are great.

To the north west there is the Devil's Dyke, north is Ditchling Beacon and a little further(but only about 15 /20 miles) to the north east/east are Alfriston and the Long Man of Willimington.

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...