Inappropriate camping?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

This story came up tonight and it really got me thinking https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53210470
Why are we currently seeing so many instances of inappropriate camping? Have people always done this and the vigilance created by the present situation where it is illegal through Covid legislation has just highlighted it or is it because the campsites are shut? I applaud anyone who stays under canvas (plastic) whether it be on a remote fell or on a formal campsite next to a pub where you can have a barbeque so is the current flush of problem campers and firelighters a result of taking the lid off restrictions without opening the capacity to cope with it?
What do you think?

Post edited at 20:48
 girlymonkey 28 Jun 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

My presumption is that people would often have gone on holidays or some other form of entertainment previously but now can't so are looking for other venues.

What I can't get my head around is why so many feel it ok to leave rubbish everywhere, not just while camping but generally in life. We walked through the retail park today and it is strewn with takeaway wrappers. Every roadside verge is full of rubbish. I want to know what goes on in people's thinking that this seems like reasonable behaviour! 

plyometrics 28 Jun 2020

My personal take on it is that dickheads across the U.K. have, since March, been restricted in how much of their dickheadedness they can inflict on both people and the environment.

During this past couple of weeks, their tiny dickhead minds have tricked them into thinking Coronavirus doesn’t exist anymore and that being a dickhead in public is, once again, OK. 

Whilst dickheadery has, clearly, always been a problem, recent circumstances mean there has been a pent up flurry of said behaviour, resulting in a vast uplift dickheads coming to places like Cumbria and assuming it’s quite acceptable to leave their unwanted f*cking shit everywhere.

So, there you have it: Dickheads; that’s the reason.

Post edited at 21:10
 Albert Tatlock 28 Jun 2020
In reply to plyometrics:

Is Dickheadness a similar medical condition to Bellendism ?

paulh.0776 28 Jun 2020

I think you’re right, with the campsites shut, the pubs and restaurants shut, no cheap flights, and football behind closed doors many people are just chancing it.  I think they know perfectly well it’s against the current restrictions, but just assume they can blag their way out of it.

Wild camping has never been legal without the landowners permission, but as we all know, done discreetly and well any from roads, farms etc has not been a problem.  Problems occur when it’s just groups wanting to have a party and have little or no respect for the locatio.

The biggest disappointment is the amount of crap and rubbish that’s left behind, and the lack of respect for our environment.  It’s not just the LDNP that’s suffering at the moment though, the beaches, town parks and the other NPs have all ended up looking like the aftermath of a festival.  

plyometrics 28 Jun 2020
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

Exactly the same. It’s just the Latin name for it. 

Post edited at 21:22
 Rob Parsons 28 Jun 2020

>  I applaud anyone who stays under canvas (plastic) whether it be on a remote fell or on a formal campsite next to a pub ...

Why do you applaud the act per se? For me, it would be the underlying intention which matters. Are you confusing 'ends' and 'means'?

Post edited at 21:46
 Andy Johnson 28 Jun 2020

Dickheads.

Dickheads on furlough.

Dickheads on furlough with nothing to do.

Hopefully the rubbish weather should deter them until the "air bridge" (or whatever it's called) to somewhere opens.

mrphilipoldham 28 Jun 2020

There was a cache of stuff dumped behind a wall at the bottom of William Clough when I passed on my run this morning, including what looked like one of those pop up tent/sun shelters amongst otherwise well packed bags. It was quite busy so wondered whether it was someone's, going to pop up and see if it's gone tomorrow. 

I have been tempted to do a few laps of the reservoir late at night recently, on camper patrol... go and shake it while wearing my head torch and shouting and give them reason to run

bouldery bits 28 Jun 2020

I'm going to take some deep breaths and calm down.

Andy Johnson 28 Jun 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/28/more-than-200-people-wild-c...

Someone dragged a wheeled suitcase full of tat up to Angle Tarn and left it there. Dickheads.

Post edited at 22:19
 oldie 29 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Johnson:

> Dickheads....... Hopefully the rubbish weather should deter them until the "air bridge" (or whatever it's called) to somewhere opens. <

The possibilities for (mis)use of the countryside may have become apparent to a larger section of the population than just the potential air bridge users. As has the inability of society to prevent many antisocial activities on a large scale. The cat may be out of the bag for good. Hope I'm wrong.

Dax H 29 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> What I can't get my head around is why so many feel it ok to leave rubbish everywhere, not just while camping but generally in life.

One of the reasons I split up with an Ex was her attitude towards rubbish. Entire McDonald's packaging for me, her plus her 3 kids would get ejected out of the window because "putting it in a bin will put the street cleaners out of work" she had the kids lobbing it out of the back windows so at ages 6,8 and 10 21 years ago they probably all have their own kids now and are teaching them the same way. 

girlymonkey 29 Jun 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> One of the reasons I split up with an Ex was her attitude towards rubbish. Entire McDonald's packaging for me, her plus her 3 kids would get ejected out of the window because "putting it in a bin will put the street cleaners out of work" she had the kids lobbing it out of the back windows so at ages 6,8 and 10 21 years ago they probably all have their own kids now and are teaching them the same way. 

That's horrific! Here's hoping the kids have learnt better from someone along the way!

jonny taylor 29 Jun 2020
In reply to plyometrics:

> So, there you have it: Dickheads; that’s the reason.

The solution is clear: Operation Less Pricks. youtube.com/watch?v=E3IUXJbXbe0&

Post edited at 13:17
 Ridge 29 Jun 2020
In reply to oldie:

> The possibilities for (mis)use of the countryside may have become apparent to a larger section of the population than just the potential air bridge users. As has the inability of society to prevent many antisocial activities on a large scale. The cat may be out of the bag for good. Hope I'm wrong.

I think you're right. Your average dickhead has learned that if he gets half a dozen mates together then the geneal public will be wary of getting involved if they indulge in a bit of antisocial behaviour. Get a dozen mates together and a couple of coppers with diluted pava spray and collapsible batons that collapse when they hit someone aren't going to be able to do much either.

People with disposable tents trashing the countryside isn't anything new, but they seem to have become bolder and more numerous lately.

Post edited at 13:24
 plyometrics 29 Jun 2020
In reply to jonny taylor:

Perfect! Rather enjoyed that. 

flatlandrich 29 Jun 2020
In reply to paulh.0776:

> The biggest disappointment is the amount of crap and rubbish that’s left behind, and the lack of respect for our environment.  It’s not just the LDNP that’s suffering at the moment though, the beaches, town parks and the other NPs have all ended up looking like the aftermath of a festival.  

I think that's part of the problem. With all the music festivals either cancelled or postponed at the moment the revelers that would normally let off steam there, and where it seems acceptable to leave your rubbish everywhere, are now doing it in public. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...