IMPORTANT_what’s the best type/flavour of crisps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paddy_nolan 02 Dec 2020

So myself and my missus got into a surprisingly heated conversation (fist fight) about what is the best type and flavour of crisp.

Fortunately we came to the agreed decision that the McCoy salt and vinegar crips are the best. 

Are we right....? 

In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Sorry, but it is definitely these guys:

https://germandeli.co.uk/funny-frisch-chipsfrisch-ungarisch.html

LastBoyScout 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Salt and vinegar, yes, but Kettle and Tyrrells do better versions, especially the furrows ones and cider vinegar. Actually, Tesco's own brand sea salt and cider vinegar are pretty good.

I'm also partial to Walkers Max Paprika, when I fancy a change.

Rob Parsons 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

With your name, it has to be 'Tayto' brand every time.

mick taylor 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Acid flavoured Space Raiders.

PaulTclimbing 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

All of the packets of meaty flavours in a walkers meaty super bag over a 2 day sitting. 

SFM 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

I see your McCoys S&V and raise you with CO-OP Sea Salt and Chardonnay wine Vinegar crisps. Tongue tinglingly tasty. 

NathanP 02 Dec 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> Acid flavoured Space Raiders.

Oh dear. You have outed yourself as non-British and deeply suspect by not going with Salt and Vinegar. After January 1st, I'm afraid you'll have to leave and take your repugnant snacks with you. 

I refer you to Q4 in this test. http://realcitizenshiptest.co.uk/quiz.php?n=1

Clauso 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Bovril flavour was once the pinnacle for crisps. Any self-respecting spud would have poked its own eyes out to be sliced up and coated in Bovril... My mate Dave told me that the EU banned them, and that's exactly why I backed Brexit. We need to take back control of our crisps.

Qwerty2019 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

There is no debate.

XL cheese.

If you are from cumbria

BenSends 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Flaming Hot Dorito's are the number one for me. Is that controversial? is that even a 'flavour'?

Graeme G 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

What are you drinking with them?

Cheese and Onion Kettle chips with Rioja.

Walkers Worcestershire Sauce with Guinness.

Graeme G 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Clauso:

I don’t think it was the flavour that got them banned. I’m sure it was the excessive curvature of the crisps.

gravy 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Blue flavour

Except that Walkers break the international convention on crisp packets in which case it's green flavour (who the hell in their right mind thinks "cheese and onion"=blue? madness)

deepsoup 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

> What are you drinking with them?

With a nice refreshing pale ale (ideally a Pictish) - Piper's Black Pepper & Sea Salt.

PaulJepson 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

1) Scampi Fries

2) Flaming Hot Monster Munch

3) Worcester Wheat Crunchies

4) Pickled Onion Discos

5) Chilli Heatwave Doritos / Walkers Max Paprika / Nik Naks Rib n Saucy (3-way tie)

I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. 

Post edited at 14:38
 PaulJepson 02 Dec 2020
In reply to BenSends:

> Flaming Hot Dorito's are the number one for me. Is that controversial? is that even a 'flavour'?

You can also use Doritos to start fires, so they're high on my list. 

TomD89 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

The best ever was Monster Munch Spaghetti Sauce flavour, but that's been extinct for many years.

Prawn Cocktail is the best flavour across the board IMO. The debate for overall best flavour/brand/style is too complex to sort out.

Can we all agree that people who claim Ready Salted as their favourite cannot be trusted?

jdh90 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

I've noticed that very strong salt and vingear crisps like McCoy's give me a reaction that transcends tongue tingling into a flushed prickly feeling in my whole face, mouth watering profusely and sweating.

I've started to wonder if I'm allergic.

The really weird thing is I dont even have to eat them.  Just thinking about the flavour sets me off, as it has done right now.

But to answer the question I'm a fan of:

Cheese and onion anything

Worcester sauce french fries

Crinkly mini cheddars (either s&v or c&

Paprika ridge cut ones

Salt and pepper kettle cooked crunchy crisps

Lime tortilla chips

Ready salted beetroot ones

Dont think I could pick a favourite.

Rob Exile Ward 02 Dec 2020
In reply to jdh90:

Pork scratchings. The pub snack of Kings. 

PaulJepson 02 Dec 2020
In reply to jdh90:

Since when are savoury biscuits a type of crisp?! Have you no honour?  

Sir Chasm 02 Dec 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> 1) Scampi Fries

> 2) Flaming Hot Monster Munch

> 3) Worcester Wheat Crunchies

> 4) Pickled Onion Discos

> 5) Chilli Heatwave Doritos / Walkers Max Paprika / Nik Naks Rib n Saucy (3-way tie)

> I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. 

Yeah, but he asked about crisps. Nice as those are they're not crisps. 

The best were salsa and mesquite kettle chips, RIP.

PaulJepson 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Sir Chasm:

My wheat beats your potato. 

Post edited at 15:27
 Sir Chasm 02 Dec 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> My wheat beats your potato. 

Unless you want some crisps.

GerM 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Without a doubt Mackie's make the finest crisps I have ever tasted. For a full appreciation of this quality crisp I usually stick to their plain old sea salted classic. They do do a range of interesting flavours though.

As a bit of an aside, and although a quality crisp nowhere near as good as Mackie's, Co-op's Posh Prawn cocktail crisps are one of the best flavours I think. Haven't seen them in a while in my local coop though, hope they haven't stopped making them.

Blue Straggler 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Qwerty2019:

> There is no debate.

> XL cheese.

> If you are from cumbria

KP Roast Pork and Apple Sauce, if you are from the North-East and it is approximately 1986. 

Late 80s/early 90s it was KP Hot Dog and Tomato Ketchup

GerM 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

And just another little thought about flavours, I am also a big fan of some of the ones you get in France. Pesto flavour crisps as well as the Garlic flavour crisps both big favourites.

shuffle 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Seabrooks salt and vinegar. No contest.

jdh90 02 Dec 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

Fair point!  Not crisps, but are being treated as functionally similar since a "health and wellbeing" drive at work replaced all the real crisps in the vending machine with more expensive savoury products that share a flavour tangent and come in similar shaped packaging.  The crinklies have been the go-to as best of the bunch and the only ones that still feel a treat.  Was stung on some flavourless abominations that looked like a wotsit but made of something obscure - maybe chickpeas. Its has lead to me sampling popchips too, which are pretty good. Their bbq flavour also give me the weird reaction though.

JimbotheScot 02 Dec 2020

Smith's salt and vinegar chopsticks

You know where you stand with them, full of flavour and haven't changed

gravy 02 Dec 2020
In reply to JimbotheScot:

I could never work out if the injuries I got from these were caused by physical or chemical attack...

Toerag 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Salt'n'vinegar Squares. I remember my saliva glands literally squirting saliva out of my mouth as I opened a packet once.

Yanis Nayu 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Walkers Smokey Bacon 

rj_townsend 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

The answer is simple: Walkers Worcestershire Sauce is the king of crisp flavours, although surprisingly difficult to find.

Second place goes to the ones in the brown bags, with flavours such as ham and mustard, lamb and mint and something else. Can't remember the brand name...

In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Cheese and onion.

Although I'm partial to Nik-naks (or I was before they started putting those foul 'scampi and lemon' things in the variety packs).

Then of course, there's monster munch. And bacon fries. And poundland's cheesy balls...

Gone for good 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Walkers everything but starting with Cheese and Onion and closely followed by Prawn Cocktail. 

My kids swear by Salt and Vinegar.

Square crisps are great as well as are Walkers Sensations Red Thai Chilli.

In reply to Paddy_nolan:

WOTSITS™

Here endeth the thread...

Tom Valentine 02 Dec 2020
In reply to gravy:

I've been saying that about Walkers colour coding for years and most people don't get it.

Anyway, as for crisps, root vegetable  by absolutely anyone.

In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I'm also partial to Walkers Max Paprika, when I fancy a change.

The Walkers Paprika are good, but they are a knock off of the German ones.  Taste pretty much exactly the same but the Germans had them for years before Walkers.

In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I'm also partial to these.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/438467713693771303/

(I waited, but somebody had to do it.)

Albert Tatlock 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

There can only be one winner,

Fiddlers Crisps - Lancashire black pudding and mustard flavour. 

In reply to TomD89:

Prawn Cocktail crisps used as Covid detector

A builder I know had to self isolate because one of his colleagues tested positive for Covid. Every day in his 14 day isolation he had a packet of Prawn Cocktail crisps, smelling, eating them and checking the flavour/smell was exactly the same.

He used them to reassure himself that he wasn't coming down with Covid

abr1966 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

No class....you and your woman deserve eachother.....

I'm single but am after a woman who appreciates a good pack of Frazzles....or a a Spick Niknak!!

Albert Tatlock 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Pork scratchings. The pub snack of Kings. 

What about Super Cockle, the man in a white coat with his wicker basket full of dodgy seafood  who visited pubs, perhaps a northern thing. 

ChrisBrooke 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Brannigans Beef and Mustard. 

tjdodd 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Used to be Yorkshire Crisps Henderson's Relish were the best but I see they have now dropped them in favour of Worcester Sauce.  It's a bloody disgrace.

Dr.S at work 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Quavers

or

skips

Rob Exile Ward 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

I'd forgotten that! Friday night in the Rose and Crown in Walmgate, York - for a while, indisputably the best pub in the universe - pints of Tetley, a copy of Warcry and dodgy seafood . 

nikoid 02 Dec 2020

I'd forgotten all about those seafood purveyors. Very 80s. We had one come into the pub when I lived in Leicester. For some reason he used to shout out random things like "sheep, penguins, sperm whales" to attract attention. It did seem to work.

The routine.

Vendor: "Cockles, mussels, shrimps, prawns!"

Sniggering punter: "Got any crabs, mate?"

Vendor: "Aye, got 'em off your lass...."

In reply to tjdodd:

Apparently it's Hendeson's decision not to supply the crisp maker.

RANGITOTO 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Nik Naks - Nice 'n' Spicy!

Blue Straggler 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> I've been saying that about Walkers colour coding for years and most people don't get it.

Adam Buxton and Joe Cornish on The Adam And Joe Show twenty years ago addressed it directly with Walkers 

In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Squares or Discos - Salt 'n' Vinegar 

Wheat Crunchies - bacon flavour

Seabrooks - Canadian Ham and Bacon flavours

not really too fond of the "posh" crisps like Kettle or Tyrell - I find them too thick and greasy. 

philipivan 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

I'd climb a mountain for a canny bag Tudor.

youtube.com/watch?v=EbxJw-6kha4&

OP Paddy_nolan 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

Now that’s a good question! Ideally I’d be drinking too many pints of avocet (Exeter brewery) after a day on the moor 

Fozzy 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Rib n Saucy NikNaks. Food of the gods. 

Dax H 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Sorry but you are all wrong. 

Best Crisp ever, Frazzles (if you get a good pack, they are also the most inconsistent crisps ever) 

Most moorish crisp, ready salted hula hoop puffs. 

Best snack pork scratchings. 

This is my area, I am a crisp monster

mike123 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Dax H: and so far no mention of the king of snacks .... snyders jalapeño pretzels washed down with A pint of perfectly kept hawks head the lakes best beer pub ( now defunct ) . Also ...  Spanish crisps taste better than British crisps . Ahhh.....Several glasses of ice cold estrella (or whatever they ve got ) after a day cragging and getting just a bit too much sun for December accompanied by whatever.crisps they ve got hanging up .  The universal laws no . 33c “ beer tastes better after climbing and accompanied by crisps “

Bacon Butty 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Dax H:

Oh yes ... scratchings, the ALL almighty Uncle Alberts!

Best crisp - Brannigans Beef and Mustard, definitely needs washing down with a decent ale though.

Wainers44 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Burts salt and vinegar,  while necking Korev, sat outside the Old Success, as my surfing gets better and better in the memory!

Queenie 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

I can't see any mention of Walkers roast chicken crisps yet. They get my vote.

birdie num num 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

I’m not a fan of potato crisps flavoured with chemicals. Unless it’s just sodium chloride.

Salt and shake are the best. Sometimes I put the salt on, sometimes I don’t

steve taylor 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Marmite crisps, when they are available.

Kettle crisps are too crunchy for me.

I'm partial to Bugles dipped in cream cheese too.

NaCl 03 Dec 2020
In reply to SFM:

If you're a crisp purist and potato is the only medium to qualify as a true crisp then 100% this: the Co-operative sea salt and Chard. No other S'nV can make my mouth feel the same, they're soooo strong tasting. 

If you're allowing slumming with the non crispy crisps then there are other excellent products like spicy Mixups and flaming hot and pickled onion Monster Munch.

Dirty dirty goodness

Helen R 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

I agree with overall salt and vinegar. But I really miss prawn cocktail (not a thing here).

I impluse bought a imported bag of pickled onion monster munch at the weekend (I went to a special shop to stock up on irn bru for christmas). I couldn't finish them. One of us has changed....

Sam W 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

This thread is great, might even beat Radcliffe and Maconie's excellent 'Crisps on the Radio' feature.  Check it out if you've not heard it, a rare treat 

wercat 03 Dec 2020
In reply to TomD89:

> Can we all agree that people who claim Ready Salted as their favourite cannot be trusted?

No, because you can add reeel vinnneger and shake!

Post edited at 11:23
 Tringa 03 Dec 2020
In reply to wercat:

Seabrooks, Sea salt and vinegar, Cheese and Onion or Beefy, but best of all -

Brannigan's Roast Beef and Mustard, sadly no more since September when KP pulled the plug.

Dave

fmck 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Chinese salt and chilli flavour I would love. Not invented yet though. Jeez.

ChrisBrooke 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Tringa:

> Brannigan's Roast Beef and Mustard, sadly no more since September when KP pulled the plug.

And the remaining precious packets are trading at elevated prices on a popular auction website apparently. I should have invested in Brannigans rather than Bitcoin. Dammit.

ChrisBrooke 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

I also like big supermarket own-brand bags of 'posh' salt and vinegar. (i.e. Himalayan rock salt & red wine artisan vinegar..... type thing).

The best of the bunch is, in my opinion, the Co-Op Sea Salt & Chardonnay Wine Vinegar. I don't shop at the Co-Op, but I will sometimes go out of my way to pick up some of those bad-boys. 

Gone for good 03 Dec 2020
In reply to NaCl:

> If you're a crisp purist and potato is the only medium to qualify as a true crisp then 100% this: the Co-operative sea salt and Chard. No other S'nV can make my mouth feel the same, they're soooo strong tasting. 

But but but. They've got milk in them which is very disappointing for my daughter who used to love them until she went Vegan!!

Post edited at 12:17
 LastBoyScout 03 Dec 2020

I'd also like to have onion rings and Walkers prawn cocktail taken into consideration.

rj_townsend 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Tringa:

> Seabrooks, Sea salt and vinegar, Cheese and Onion or Beefy, but best of all -

> Brannigan's Roast Beef and Mustard, sadly no more since September when KP pulled the plug.

> Dave

Brannigan's has gone? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Martin W 03 Dec 2020

This thread brings back memories of the "favourite biscuit" and similar threads back in the days when JCT was the Queen of UKC...

Tom Valentine 03 Dec 2020

If you're allowed onion rings I might as well propose those little ploughmans lunch bags with a couple of crackers, a cheese triangle and a silverskin onion.

I foresee an upturn in their sales since it could be seen as constituting a substantial meal.

ripper 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> if you are from the North-East and it is approximately 1986. 

> Late 80s/early 90s it was KP Hot Dog and Tomato Ketchup

Surely if you're from the North-East it's a "canny bag o' Tudor", or nothing? or was that a few years earlier than your time window?

aln 03 Dec 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> The Walkers Paprika are good, but they are a knock off of the German ones.  Taste pretty much exactly the same but the Germans had them for years before Walkers.

Yes but the Royal family are German and they're English and they're oppressing us you f*cking traitor! 

Anotherclimber 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Potato flavour.

NaCl 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

I know right? My g/f (also vegan) was absolutely spewing when they did that. 

Ah well, more for me,

edit to amend appalling typing

Post edited at 21:00
 Cornish boy 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Anotherclimber:

Walkers Worcestershire sauce for me, but you don’t see them in many shops so need to stock up when you see ‘em.

As for Scampi Fries, I was put off them for life after an unfortunate encounter one night with a girl I met at University! 

Post edited at 21:01
 Reach>Talent 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

> So myself and my missus got into a surprisingly heated conversation (fist fight) about what is the best type and flavour of crisp.

> Fortunately we came to the agreed decision that the McCoy salt and vinegar crips are the best. 

Not even top 5 (I would have said top 10 but I don't want to look pretentious by admitting to knowing more than half a dozen flavours of crisps).

aln 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Pork scratchings. The pub snack of Kings. 

Oh my god they're disgusting. What is it with English people and pig skin that's baked fried and dried till it's so hard that biting it breaks your teeth? Vile. 

AlisaFrost 04 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

The best type and flavour of crisp is salt one. The most simple and tasty.

Rob Exile Ward 04 Dec 2020
In reply to aln:

Years ago a friend was visiting having emigrated to New Zealand. We sat in the long gone but wonderful Spotted Cow pub in York, where he amazed the landlady by eating at leàst 5 packets, one after another.  It was pretty much the only thing he was missing.

Pkrynicki1984 04 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Branningans roast beef and mustard , no contest.

Pkrynicki1984 04 Dec 2020
In reply to aln:

I love them.

graeme jackson 04 Dec 2020
In reply to ripper:

> Surely if you're from the North-East it's a "canny bag o' Tudor", or nothing? 

In my youth I'd 'climb a moontain for a canny bag of Tudor' but those days are sadly long gone (along with the tudor brand)

Nowadays, given a choice I'll go for Walkers' ready salted every time. 

Tom Last 04 Dec 2020
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Salt and vinegar Discos. The hydrogen bomb of crisps. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...