Imazalil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 22 Mar 2023

Imazalil is now used on fruit since Brexit. Banned in the EU (is this true or a false rumour) but OK for us now or perhaps not. What other risk are there to our health since leaving? I will now wash my oranges.

Some worrying data here https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/citrus.php

Post edited at 08:47
 Jon Greengrass 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Why are you washing your oranges, do you eat the skin?

mrphilipoldham 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Why are you sharing fake news?

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-tesco-imazalil-idUSL1N2V02BA

How is washing going to cleanse the edible portion of the fruit? Did you even read the article?

Lankyman 22 Mar 2023

In reply to CezanneZadzisai:

> It's always a good idea to wash your fruits and vegetables before consuming them, regardless of whether or not they've been treated with pesticides. This can help to remove any dirt or bacteria that may be present on the surface of the produce.

But surely this will just drive down our resistance to bacteria. If you're living in a completely sterile environment you'll develop no resistance to even minor infections. I ate an unwashed carrot last night and have not developed any odd rashes or boils.

LeeWood 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

When peeling an orange, with bare hands, you inevitably transfer external contaminants inwards

For anyone who holds concern for chemical residues, there is no doubt that they pose a threat at all times and for all foodstuffs. Go eat organic !

LeeWood 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> I ate an unwashed carrot last night and have not developed any odd rashes or boils.

Thats just the problem. Modern poisons don't inform their presence with quick and blatant reactions. They build up slowly in your liver to poison or disable your immune function over years

Dave Garnett 22 Mar 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

> For anyone who holds concern for chemical residues, there is no doubt that they pose a threat at all times and for all foodstuffs.

I'm in favour of many organic regimes for all sorts of reasons but that's an interesting sentence.  There's every doubt that chemical residues (whatever that means) are a threat at all times and for all foodstuffs.  Organic food is covered with chemical residues, what do you think soil is made of?

LeeWood 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Sorry that was a very imprecise allegation - try again:

All non 'organic' (certified) food products will contain some degree of pesticide/herbicide residue.

I suppose that if organic certified produce grows in a field neighbouring conventional agriculture it too will risk being contaminated.

Is that clearer ??

In reply to LeeWood:

Yeah, damn those heavily regulated, scrutinised and monitored fungicides, building up slowly in barely detectable amounts in your liver and slowly causing no statistically significant detectable effects despite continuous study. Screw them.

Much better to roll the dice on an organic random organic blend of organic fungal mycotoxins that may or may not organically contain some of the organic ones that are well known to definitely f**k you up immediately and comprehensively.

I'm also in favour of many organic regimes for all sorts of reasons, but dogma is not one of them.

LeeWood 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

You must believe that the gov and it's agencies makes it's citizens welfare a top priority. In many instances history has shown that actually gov's top priority is looking after the corporations which prop it up. At best, citizen's welfare is certainly compromised.

"Scientists increasingly believe there is no safe lower dose (pesticides) for human exposure"

(Soil Association commentary)

Even if you do trust the regulated levels, remember they are assessed  individually - taking no account of 'the cocktail effect' :

The Pesticide Cocktail Effect: why chemical "mixtures" are a big problem in UK farming

youtube.com/watch?v=HmC-z-anukg&

In reply to LeeWood:

> You must believe that the gov and it's agencies makes it's citizens welfare a top priority. 

Nope. I've just chosen to inform myself and apply some rational thought to make my own choices, and I don't just assume synthetic toxins are automatically worse than natural ones. 

Post edited at 20:52
 LeeWood 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> I don't just assume synthetic toxins are automatically worse than natural ones

care to name some ? I'm aware aflotoxins are a commonly voiced concern for peanuts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...