I'm not a plumber , but I'll give anything a go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning , 

Funny story, slightly infuriating though and cautionary .

I brought a washing machine ,  I've not had one since moving .

Anyway,  I buy a washing machine valve attachment.  Cut my cold water pipe, fit the valve.   All good.

Buy a new sink trap with washing machine pipe attachment , fit this , no problems , all good.

Run the washing machine ,  It wont empty, and keeps coming up with drain fault.  OK,  well it's second hand and probably needs a good clean at the pump as indicated in the manual.  (it's second hand) .

I do this and manually empty it .  Loads of crap came out.  (this is detaching the hose from the attachment point and emptying into a bucket)

Run it again and it still wont empty.  I repeat the above cycle , loads of crap came out again.   

Run it again.  Same thing.  Repeat the same above cycle with washing machine deep cleaner  .

Some more crap comes out.  Well I think , its going to be like new by the time I've finished. 

Run it again and the same thing.  Why is it air locked and not emptying I'm wondering .

Finally , last night I just think to check the new sink trap .

FFS , the washing machine attachment on the trap is sealed from new.   

WTF !!!   Why buy a sink trap with washer attachment point if its F@cking sealed.

I guess the reason is you can fit the trap and at a later time attach the washer and maybe cut it to size or something.

Moral of the story.

Never consider the simplest explanation to stupid to check.

Arghhhhhhh !!!!

Phil79 08 Nov 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

At least you have a nice clean drain on the washing machine...

In reply to Phil79:

> At least you have a nice clean drain on the washing machine...

I know right 

:-D

Bob Kemp 08 Nov 2019

I suppose the obvious reason is that if you don't want to install a washing machine immediately you want a seal. And it's better in situ so you don't have to remember to put a cap on the attachment point.  Maybe...

JLS 08 Nov 2019

>"FFS , the washing machine attachment on the trap is sealed from new."

Saw that coming... he says, smuggly taking pride in his basic DIY knowledge/skills before remembering that time he turned the water back on while the bath tap was open full bore, bath plug out and the drain not connected. A hell of a lot of water can come through the living room ceiling before you realise something in amiss.

In reply to Bob Kemp:

> I suppose the obvious reason is that if you don't want to install a washing machine immediately you want a seal. And it's better in situ so you don't have to remember to put a cap on the attachment point.  Maybe...

"I guess the reason is you can fit the trap and at a later time attach the washer and maybe cut it to size or something."

Yes I said that at the end of my post.

Its the only reason I can think of.    I had to laugh .  

I might now go and warn people on the Wickes website about it. 

Or do I let them find out the hard way? 

Neil Williams 08 Nov 2019

For the record I fitted one for my mate and did exactly the same thing.  I think I spent about an hour on it before noticing.

Yeah, it's probably in case you don't want to fit one now.

Bob Kemp 08 Nov 2019

Ah yes... guess who didn't read to the end! 

In reply to Bob Kemp:

> Ah yes... guess who didn't read to the end! 

It was a long post. 

daWalt 08 Nov 2019

knew it.

but I figured mine out after only 2 washing runs of the machine - therefor I'm doubly cleverer that you :-P

Lord_ash2000 08 Nov 2019

> FFS , the washing machine attachment on the trap is sealed from new.   

Done this exact same thing myself, you're not the only one.

In reply to daWalt:

With a name like that I'm sure your much more au fait with these things .

colinakmc 08 Nov 2019

I was taught at uni, if all else fails, read the instructions....least you got there eventually. This was an opportunity for growth, not a frustrating waste of time!!

In reply to colinakmc:

> I was taught at uni, if all else fails, read the instructions....least you got there eventually. This was an opportunity for growth, not a frustrating waste of time!!

Not at all.  It gave me a laugh and a good conversation point. 

You live and learn

tew 09 Nov 2019

Had a new kitchen and the plumber and/or builder put the washing machine back.

The first use of the washing machine had the same issue. When I called the builder and explained the situation his reply was "f##king balls not again". Followed by what the solution was...

In reply to tew:

> Had a new kitchen and the plumber and/or builder put the washing machine back.

> The first use of the washing machine had the same issue. When I called the builder and explained the situation his reply was "f##king balls not again". Followed by what the solution was...

These replies are certainly helping me feel less of a plonker, or at least part of a group of plonkers.

Reach>Talent 09 Nov 2019

Thanks for the giggle. At least you didn't forget to take the transit bolts out, that can be a bit of an issue. After a few minor screw ups over the years I am now pretty obsessive about working out each step of the process before I start, although I still managed to make 4 trips back to the garage earlier in the week for tools and things I had forgotten between isolating the power and getting the lights back on while replacing a light fitting so I haven't learned a lot! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...