I'm declaring it's spring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Out on a run this morning I saw a pair Lapwings above the fields near the moor. Lots of swooping and diving by the male. Just great to see. Also had a pair of Wrens in the garden displaying mating behaviour. 

I'm calling it; Spring is here, or realistically not far away.

girlymonkey 20 Feb 2021
In reply to Deleated bagger:

I was hoping for a little more winter, but it does have that spring feeling. We have snowdrops and crocuses starting to appear this week and it's suddenly very mild. 

skog 20 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yep, it really feels it's sliding that way.

The amount of snow loss over the last few days has been immense, and it seems to be ongoing.

Mind you, it could still go back to being winter for a while, any time in the next couple of months.

Doug 20 Feb 2021
In reply to skog:

Here in the southern French Alps it also feels springlike, and temperatures are forecast to reach 14° early next week in our village (altitude circa 1250m). Yesterday midday I was sitting by the car having a drink after a couple of hours XC skiing when a butterfly flew past and have been woken by blackbirds singing the last few mornings. And the snowmelt over the last week has been impressive.

But I guess more snow in March could bring winter back...

girlymonkey 20 Feb 2021
In reply to skog:

Looks like you guys have had some brilliant days out!

I particularly enjoyed some ski touring in the Ochils 😊

Have you seen the height of the Forth today? The snowmelt and yesterday's rain have combined to make quite an impact on it!

skog 20 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

It isn't Wester Ross but aye, we've done alright! Itching to get further afield, but have to admit our local area is a really good one

Yep, the burns and rivers are really high. Thinking about crossings tomorrow - looks like it'll be a good weather day but the levels will still be well up, the ground's soaking.

Jen and I have been talking about getting touring skis, it looked great the last wee while - glad you've been getting out!

girlymonkey 20 Feb 2021
In reply to skog:

Yes, I have been so glad to be this side of the central belt! Although we are restricted for travel, it's not a huge bind really! I have been jealous of the photos from further north though, what a season they have had!

Touring skis are great, well worth it! Even when lifts are open, I rarely use them. With touring kit you can have the whole hill to yourself and no waiting in the cold for slow lifts! 😀

wintertree 20 Feb 2021

Here in upper County Durham, the first leaves are unfurling one one of the elder trees, and snowdrops are blooming.  We've still got 2 meter high snow drifts hanging on here and there, but not I fear for much longer.

Also, mud.  We have got a lot of mud.  Some of what used to be solid land now appears to be mud all the way down to the turtles.

BusyLizzie 20 Feb 2021

I've just planted three rows of peas, so it has to be spring.

Dax H 20 Feb 2021

There is no frog gang rape in our pond yet so its definitely still winter. 

Wainers44 20 Feb 2021

Palm trees are looking quite happy here. The hedgehog,  who lives under the palm was out on the lawn last night. 

Summers coming soon in Devon!!

Decidedly blustery and miz here (in Crewe) 😖

WaterMonkey 20 Feb 2021

Sat in the sun in my garden today in T shirt and shorts. 15.5 degrees according to my van. Very nice. You can feel your energy and mood increasing just by sitting in sunshine.

Toerag 20 Feb 2021

Plenty of Daffodils out over here. The hundreds in the field next door have yet to bloom though, only one or two bunches are out.

Snowdrops, crocus and daffs out in my garden and a small haw sapling has leaves unfolding. I woke at 6 am this morning and listened to 2 blackbirds dawn chorusing. I hate winter and love spring so the next few weeks will be glorious for me as we can start to do stuff after work whilst there is still daylight.

bouldery bits 21 Feb 2021

I'm wearing shorts.

Lankyman 21 Feb 2021

I've just come across my first wild garlic down by the river. Ate lots back in LD1 to ward off covid (also handy vampire repellant). I also took my long johns off as I came out the woods. Spring has sprung!

yorkshire_lad2 21 Feb 2021

Several homo sapiens out with power washers (ugh!) cleaning cars and vans (exacerbated by still being in LD3 hibernation).

Maggot 21 Feb 2021

Spring?

It's verging on being mid summer here in South Manc. I'm seriously considering on going Postie 😄

In reply to bouldery bits:

> I'm wearing shorts.

Several guys out on bikes in shorts this morning, in February!

Saw and heard Skylarks singing. Lovely.

mick taylor 21 Feb 2021

Just back from dog walking. Loads of skylarks, noticeable how many birds are in pairs. Robins everywhere, few song thrush and a brown hare. Oh, ten gadwall on a pond. Some daffodils.  Weirdest thing was some bloke was out in his Rab duvet sweating his proverbials off (it was me - I’d no idea how warm it was going to be). 

Lankyman 21 Feb 2021

Have now clocked up first primrose and first daffs in flower (although not true wild ones). Also got first snub of the year from snooty horse woman who seemed to resent me walking the footpath past her country residence.

J101 21 Feb 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

I had a look at my local patch a week ago but no joy, will be going soon for another check.

hang_about 21 Feb 2021

Skylarks, lambs in the fields. Some residual snow up near mam tor though, just as a reminder 

In reply to hang_about:

> Skylarks, lambs in the fields. Some residual snow up near mam tor though, just as a reminder 

Out on Snailsden Pike this afternoon. Heard but didn't see Golden Plovers calling. A truly mournful sound.

Have started putting the first birdsong of the year into a diary. Skylarks and song thrush have joined the list with dunnock, v3 kinds of tit, wren, chaffinch, goldfinch and greenfinch. Seen yellowhammer pairing up along with bullfinch. Still overlapping with big flocks of redwing. 

graeme jackson 22 Feb 2021

saw a newborn lamb yesterday. I think it's the earliest I've ever seen one in Lanarkshire. 

bouldery bits 22 Feb 2021

T shirt weather on the playground today. 

Wonderful stuff. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...