IKEA Insanity

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 02 Jun 2020

Some of the media are carrying photographs of people queueing for FOUR hours at IKEA yesterday. Are some people really that insane enough to shop in IKEA?

joem 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I dread the thought of shopping in Ikea at the best of times. the mind boggles.

OP mypyrex 02 Jun 2020
In reply to joem:

> I dread the thought of shopping in Ikea at the best of times. the mind boggles.

Me too

OP mypyrex 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

knighty 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Maybe some people really needed a desk? Those working from home at the moment may not be returning to the office for months yet. It wouldn't be much fun if you were on an improvised set up.

Maybe they needed an office chair? Or shelves to store their work admin?

joem 02 Jun 2020
In reply to knighty:

You've heard of internet shopping? I even believe Ikea offer this. 

From my improvised home office.

summo 02 Jun 2020
In reply to joem:

> You've heard of internet shopping? I even believe Ikea offer this. 

> From my improvised home office.

Indeed. They've had record sales of home office equipment over the last 3 months. 

I think it's more likely folk have spent lock down doing diy indoors and now want some new furniture or fittings to go with it. Something you need to see, feel, sit or lie on.

Neil Williams 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I like Ikea and most of my furniture is from there, but I can't imagine being so much in need of a bookshelf that I couldn't wait a week or two for it to calm down.

In reply to Sl@te Head:

The Hotpots are funny.  But IKEA must be able to laugh at themselves, as there's so much copyright material in there that they must have OKed it.

I suppose, as another well-known low-cost blue and yellow company well knows, there's no such thing as bad publicity...

Post edited at 10:28
 Mike Stretford 02 Jun 2020
In reply to joem:

I tried for something, there's a month long wait for a delivery slot.

Most people are staying at home so if you need a sofa/desk/dining table I can see why you might have made the journey after 12 weeks.

In reply to Mike Stretford:

I needed a desk chair as my old one broke, I ordered it off Amazon and it showed up the next day!

But then, people are bad at thinking outside the proverbial box (even an oversized Amazon box), this can be seen by just how many are crowding into tourist honeypots when there's other countryside that's far quieter.

Post edited at 10:36
In reply to joem:

> I dread the thought of shopping in Ikea at the best of times. the mind boggles.

Here here. Dreadful shop although I hate shopping at the best of times but IKEA? <shudders>

Blue Straggler 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Live and let live.

joem 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

My normal feelings on such things but in this case it may be more like live and let die.

Removed User 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

The same people probably have houses packed full of bog roll.

Now they're panic buying meatballs and table lamps.

skog 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Maybe just desperate to move into their own place, now?

youtube.com/watch?v=w4t652Usg10&

More seriously, I utterly hate going to IKEA - but lots of people love it, to the point it's pretty much a hobby. And the more that are there, the easier it is for us to social distance on the crags and hills..!

snoop6060 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I queued for nearly 2 hours at the tip. They don't even sell 60p hotdogs at the tip. 

ianstevens 02 Jun 2020
In reply to joem:

Tried ordering anything online from IKEA? Might rock up in 2 months

neilh 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

The queue was 1.1 km long, estimated for 500 peole at the original UK  IKEA in Warrington.

mick taylor 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

They're a dowel short of a full shelf unit.

Philb1950 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Probably take longer to assemble than the length of time queuing 

nikoid 02 Jun 2020
In reply to joem:

No they don't. I think that's why there are now massive queues.

Timmd 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> I tried for something, there's a month long wait for a delivery slot.

> Most people are staying at home so if you need a sofa/desk/dining table I can see why you might have made the journey after 12 weeks.

My Dad might have said that after 12 weeks not having one another few isn't going to make much difference, it's about different reactions to the same situation I guess.  Spending a lot of time in the same rooms could highlight the need for things.

Post edited at 13:02
 Dax H 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I wonder how many people are there because they need something and how many people are there because they are desperate to see some sort of normality. 

joem 02 Jun 2020
In reply to nikoid:

They do just a little wait, think they also do click and collect. I think I’d rather sleep on the floor than go to ikea now. 

ive managed to order home office equipment from other sources during lockdown I think people are just weird I don’t hold that against them but it doesn’t mean I understand either.

In reply to snoop6060:

> I queued for nearly 2 hours at the tip. They don't even sell 60p hotdogs at the tip. 

I think Ikea will deliver straight to the tip. It saves assembly time and reduces the carbon footprint a little. 

Bacon Butty 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I get dragged down to IKEA occasionally by the wife and kids.  I go straight to the cafes for beer, but I wouldn't even queue for 60 seconds to do that.

People do the strangest things that your average UKCer think are totally bizarre and stupid.
They ain't doing me any harm, so, good luck to them.

IM 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I waited in a queue for two hours to get some shelving. 

When I got home there were some bits missing.

You couldn't make it up. 

Timmd 02 Jun 2020
In reply to IM: Rather like the shelves.

Post edited at 15:05
 LastBoyScout 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

The first weekend Ikea opened in Reading, it took some people 3 hours to get out of the car park!

I think they are brilliant for kids stuff, but I don't really like much of the rest. 

We will probably end up with their wardrobes in the kid's rooms when we move house. The built-in wardrobes in my sister's house are Ikea ones that were custom fitted by my Dad - they look really good.

Bacon Butty 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> Rather like the shelves.

freeflyer 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Dunno about queuing but it takes me two hours to find what I want, and then two hours to find my way out again, plus an hour in the cafe rehydrating on coffee and the free cake, studying the map and the list of required items.

Michael Hood 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I don't know about the current re-opening, but in normal times it is ALWAYS possible to avoid the queues by going at the right time. Generally that means as soon as they open, or pretty close to when they shut in the evening, and midweek.

Other tips:

• Most IKEA layouts (order of stuff) are similar, if you're familiar with this it helps.
  • If you're buying anything significant, then if you can, separate your visits into 2 - a choosing visit where you decide what you want and where in the building you get it from - this can be leisurely, and then a buying visit when you just nip round buying everything you've previously sussed out.
  • When buying (and you know where stuff is), go in via the exit straight to all the stacks.
  • Or alternatively, take the short cut straight through to the marketplace.
  • As much as possible, use the online resource to find where everything is in the stacks and whether there is stock of the items you want.

Over the years we've bought loads of IKEA stuff. Generally it's been ok (as long as you're ok with an Allan key) and good value for money. IKEA filled the "good, simple, inexpensive design" niche that Habitat left when they blundered up-market. If you want top quality then go elsewhere, what were you expecting.

Michael Hood 02 Jun 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I think they are brilliant for kids stuff, but I don't really like much of the rest. 

Some of the kids stuff is inspired, unfortunately ours were too old by the time IKEA unleashed most of that.

groovejunkie 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

> Some of the media are carrying photographs of people queueing for FOUR hours at IKEA yesterday. Are some people really that insane enough to shop in IKEA?

You can never have too many tea lights!

Blue Straggler 02 Jun 2020
In reply to groovejunkie:

A modern classic from Viz. Lots of tea lights

http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/026_viz238_Ikea_Game.jpg

groovejunkie 02 Jun 2020

Ha ha ha, fantastic! 

Michael Hood 03 Jun 2020

Brilliant, thanks for that.

girlymonkey 03 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

The queues from McDonalds were also crazy! Surely no burger is worth that length of wait, and particularly not a McDs one?! 

IM 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> Rather like the shelves.

Which is the whole point of the (admittedly rather weak) joke...

Blue Straggler 03 Jun 2020
In reply to IM:

If it’s any consolation, I got it and thought it quite good. Timmd’s unnecessary explanation rather diluted it ! 

Tringa 03 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

IKEA have some good stuff but I wouldn't queue for four hours for any shop.

Though not only IKEA. I saw this yesterday - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52894613

Dave

IM 03 Jun 2020

> If it’s any consolation, I got it and thought it quite good. Timmd’s unnecessary explanation rather diluted it ! 

Cheers!

Tringa 03 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

IKEA have some good stuff but I wouldn't queue for four hours for any shop.

Though not only IKEA. I saw this yesterday - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52894613

Dave

jkarran 03 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

> Some of the media are carrying photographs of people queueing for FOUR hours at IKEA yesterday. Are some people really that insane enough to shop in IKEA?

I love IKEA. Not enough to queue but still, what's not to like about affordable, often rather cleverly engineered design.

Jk

Timmd 04 Jun 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> I wonder how many people are there because they need something and how many people are there because they are desperate to see some sort of normality. 

That's stuck in my mind as a reason. Without seeming to cast aspersions on what people chose to do with their time and money, some friends have been sharing things on facebook about how covid could be a time for us all reevaluate what we need from life, along the lines of consumerism and the time/work/money equation which people were living with before. I think they imagined some kind of new era dawning with people only spending money on what they actually need and living life more thoughtfully. While it could be a good thing for the environment, I can't help thinking they might be disappointed, what with there being long queues for the McDonand's drive thrus too. 

Post edited at 00:27
 profitofdoom 04 Jun 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> .......some friends have been sharing things on facebook about how covid could be a time for us all reevaluate what we need from life, along the lines of consumerism and the time/work/money equation which people were living with before. I think they imagined some kind of new era dawning with people only spending money on what they actually need....... 

No

Thanks, but sorry, Tim

It's back to near-normal next month

Back to normal soon after that

Timmd 04 Jun 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

Did you miss this part? 

'...I can't help thinking they might be disappointed, what with there being long queues for the McDonand's drive thrus too.  ' 

Post edited at 03:04
 profitofdoom 04 Jun 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> Did you miss this part? 

> '...I can't help thinking they might be disappointed, what with there being long queues for the McDonand's drive thrus too.  ' 

Thanks, but no, I didn't miss that part (and I liked your last sentence).... I was just adding my voice to the debate

Michael Hood 04 Jun 2020

> It's back to near-normal next month

> Back to normal soon after that

Unfortunately I think you will be largely correct.

I think home working (either totally or part-week) will increase because it will ultimately be driven by reduced office size/costs. Luckily that will usually be a benefit for the worker as long as there are mechanisms in place to ensure people don't get too isolated.

Neil Williams 04 Jun 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

I reckon daily London commuting for office workers won't be back - more likely it'll be 2-in-5 or 3-in-5.  This is a really good thing that barely has any downsides at all - it'll even save the railway money because peak capacity costs a fortune and while season ticket prices seem high they don't cover all the costs.

Post edited at 08:15
 Dark-Cloud 04 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I need to go to IKEA to buy some shelving units for a kit room, i think i will wait until November...

profitofdoom 04 Jun 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I need to go to IKEA........... i think i will wait until November...

Good idea. The back of today's queue should have reached the tills by then

jkarran 04 Jun 2020

> It's back to near-normal next month

> Back to normal soon after that

More likely we'll be in nationwide Euro-style lock-down by August, not like last time.

jk

Timmd 04 Jun 2020

> Thanks, but no, I didn't miss that part (and I liked your last sentence).... I was just adding my voice to the debate

Aaah, right, fair enough. 

kevin stephens 04 Jun 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Reading the thread title I was misled into thinking this was about a weird bookcase branded “Insanity “

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...