If you can't get the news to say anything nice...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marsbar 15 Sep 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

"It was not our intention to misrepresent..."

Lie after lie after lie.   

OP tehmarks 15 Sep 2019
In reply to marsbar:

'It was not our intention to misreprsent'...by essentially doubling a figure in a news headline, doctoring it to look like a genuine news headline, and pushing it out to the country via advertising on a social media platform used by millions - which has been the subject of well-reported abuse in the past.

Yeah, ok. Who actually accepts these absurd explanations at face value?

wercat 15 Sep 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

presumably their taking back con-troll of the BBC logo and misrepresentation of the BBC might be actionable?

And this is the party who started making noises about  clamping down on internet trolls!

Post edited at 17:24
baron 15 Sep 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

> ...just change it.

Maybe people should read the whole advert.

OP tehmarks 15 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

Maybe people shouldn't blatently invent lies? Maybe political parties in particular shouldn't blatently invent lies in order to mislead the electorate?

baron 15 Sep 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

> Maybe people shouldn't blatently invent lies? Maybe political parties in particular shouldn't blatently invent lies in order to mislead the electorate?

I totally agree with you.

I hadn’t seen the original advert so clicked on your link.

If you only read the first couple of lines you might be mislead but doesn’t the bottom line say 7 million?

OP tehmarks 15 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

I don't think we're seeing this in the same light. I'm incensed that the Conservative Party think it's ok to push an ad on a platform which is well-known now for widespread political abuse, in which they have deliberately modified a news headline to make it look good. It doesn't matter that they've linked to the original article, it's a clear attempt at deception. You can't just invent quotes, which is what changing someone else's headline amounts to.

baron 15 Sep 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

> I don't think we're seeing this in the same light. I'm incensed that the Conservative Party think it's ok to push an ad on a platform which is well-known now for widespread political abuse, in which they have deliberately modified a news headline to make it look good. It doesn't matter that they've linked to the original article, it's a clear attempt at deception. You can't just invent quotes, which is what changing someone else's headline amounts to.

I do have concerns about the advert in question and how many other adverts are deliberately misleading the public but gathering your news from Facebook is plainly wrong and yet, apparently that’s what many people do.

I presume that you and I read or hear a story and despite our confirmation bias - gosh I hate that word even though it’s often true - we check it through other sources.

If many people don’t do that then maybe social media is just the new Sun/Star/Mirror newspaper.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...