Idle (and ignorant) speculation about Black Holes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I recently read an article summarising, in a superficial way, some speculations about what might happen at the singularity of a black hole. It prompted the following, rather wild and completely uninformed, alternative, alcohol-fueled, speculation on the walk back from the pub last night. I haven't looked at the relevant equations so don't know if it has any mileage? Probably not!

What if, just as Newtonian mechanics is a decent approximation to relativity for everyday life, the central tenet of relativity, the constancy of light speed, is only a decent approximation for the everything we can observe, even astronomically? Could it be that the speed of light is actually an extremely weak function of the gravitational field or its gradient such that it is constant to the accuracy that we can observe in all ordinary gravitational fields but varies in the extreme fields at a black hole singularity such that it tends to zero there. Nothing could then get to the singularity although it could approach infinitesimally close. If E= mc2 still applies, the energy content of the matter approaching the singularity would  tend to zero. If energy were to be conserved it must be converted into something else. Could this be dark energy? What if dark energy can transform into dark matter and dark matter and/or energy can travel faster than light. It could then escape the black hole into the wider universe.

Lankyman 21 Mar 2023
In reply to harold walmsley:

I still want to know how a cat can be dead or alive at the same time

Andy Hardy 21 Mar 2023

Does this bring us closer to determining the definitive grade of 3PS?

In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Does this bring us closer to determining the definitive grade of 3PS?

No, you can never actually get there. That would require an infinite number of threads on UKC, and the discussion would become impossibly heavy.

Ridge 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> I still want to know how a cat can be dead or alive at the same time

Also, how come the RSPCA never took action against a self-confessed cat murderer?

nniff 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Does this bring us closer to determining the definitive grade of 3PS?

Yes, but not in the South

Maggot 21 Mar 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

The cat was alive all along because she had kittens, proof:  https://books.google.com/books/about/Schrodinger_s_Kittens.html?id=ioAgiBl4...

Lankyman 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Maggot:

> The cat was alive all along because she had kittens, proof:  https://books.google.com/books/about/Schrodinger_s_Kittens.html?id=ioAgiBl4...

I do love a happy ending! Makes the universe seem less bleak.

In reply to Lankyman:

> I still want to know how a cat can be dead or alive at the same time

It can't be. It's dead AND alive

Post edited at 18:50
 kevin stephens 21 Mar 2023
In reply to harold walmsley: the multiverse hypothesis is more fun

Lankyman 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

> It can't be. It's dead AND alive

Do you mean like 'The Walking Dead '?

Tony Buckley 21 Mar 2023

What I want to know is, if you were drunk enough to think that, but still sober enough to walk, which pub had you been to and what were you drinking?

T.

Lankyman 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Tony Buckley:

> What I want to know is, if you were drunk enough to think that, but still sober enough to walk, which pub had you been to and what were you drinking?

Low gravity ale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...