Idiot hypocrite, sneaks in Public Heath cut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 27 Dec 2018

In case people missed this (most of the big news outlets seemed to). 

https://www.gponline.com/call-reverse-public-health-cuts-hancock-pledges-fo...

An utter disaster as it kicks issues down the road until they are much more expensive for the NHS. As buried news goes the last days before the Xmas, before brexit, is as scummy as it gets.

MonkeyPuzzle 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

You, erm, checked the date on that article?

Shani 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

When the student is ready, the teacher arrives: https://t.co/NHxh2IB3bN

OP Offwidth 28 Dec 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Er yes...the link was doctors warning the minister about the evidence and then he ignored all that and later on did it anyway. He chose  the last day of parliament when the main media were clearly not looking. Apologies for not being clearer ...I was  pretty annoyed.

Hancock says he wants people to take responsibility for their own health to help cut future NHS bills. Are they supposed to do this on their own without the public health support, that the evidence shows is neccesary. Thinking you can cut Public Heath budgets further and improve public health is plain idiotic. Ignoring the evidence of what's neccesary when he starts lecturing us all on  responsibilites, makes him a hypocrite.

Post edited at 11:47
 marsbar 28 Dec 2018
In reply to Shani:

Somebody got told. 

>Imagine my surprise when I discovered a minister whose Government berates ‘shirkers’ couldn’t be bothered to get out of bed to defend his own policy,” Mr Pattison said. “If the minister was a jobseeker, he could lose his benefits

Deadeye 28 Dec 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Idiot idealogue, sneaks in outdated sensationist headline

Ratfeeder 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> Hancock says he wants people to take responsibility for their own health to help cut future NHS bills. Are they supposed to do this on their own without the public health support, that the evidence shows is neccesary. Thinking you can cut Public Heath budgets further and improve public health is plain idiotic. Ignoring the evidence of what's neccesary when he starts lecturing us all on  responsibilites, makes him a hypocrite.

Yes indeed. Putting the blame on the population for not behaving responsibly is a quintessential Tory gesture. Basing policies on what someone thinks should be the case, rather than what is the case, is political idiocy of the first order and explains why so many Tory policies end up falling apart.

Even worse is the hypocrisy of blaming the population for their own poor health while encouraging, for example, the tobacco and fast-food industries to maximize their profits. Surely, something that a government can actually do to prevent future public health issues which impact on the NHS is to regulate such industries - to force them to conduct their business responsibly (which they clearly don't)? But the Conservatives have always been conspicuously reluctant to regulate industry, however socially irresponsible it is.   

OP Offwidth 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

Ignoring the childish troublemaking....

Part of the scandal is there was no mainstream press headline at the time I posted to link to,  partly due to the deliberate timing of the anouncement (and there is still no mainstream press headline I'm aware of ...  there were rumours of a Huffington Post comment somewhere... maybe on Twitter). Hence, why I included the prior link warning the minister about the potential consequencies.  It's a pretty important story in my view and the tendancy of governments to bury bad news in such ways is well known and despicable in my view. 

OP Offwidth 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Ratfeeder:

Just found a more generic article from today focussing on STDS.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/30/sexual-disease-gonorrhoea-h...

Ratfeeder 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Very informative and a good example of the hypocrisy you're talking about. This area of the health service is exactly about the prevention that Hancock wants to support, so to cut funding to it undermines his own policy! Unbelievably stupid. In fact this serves as a reductio-ad-absurdum of the policy itself. Thanks for posting.

Ps I think I'll write an email to my MP (Rory Stewart) about it. It's a serious matter and a disgrace.

Post edited at 17:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...