Hummingbird hawk moth. How cool ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 03 Oct 2022

until yesterday I neither seen  or heard of these . But whilst fettling bikes outside the house yesterday morning had one buzzing around us and feeding on a bright red bush  ( no idea what you call it  ) at first I thought it was a humming bird . Proper made me smile . I tried to get some pictures but it never stopped being busy . It never cease to amaze me what Nature throws up . 

youtube.com/watch?v=jg_pwC2ZbWw&

Cobra_Head 04 Oct 2022
In reply to mike123:

The bush is a Buddleia , ("Butterfly Bush").

And yes they're great to see.

Edit: ha ha. Always watch ALL the video, I thought this was yours

Post edited at 10:25
 Rob Parsons 04 Oct 2022
In reply to mike123:

Nice. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

graeme jackson 04 Oct 2022
In reply to mike123:

I have them in my garden (south lanarkshire) and have seen them in Falkland Palace gardens earlier this summer.  Virtually impossible to get them to stay still enough to take a photo. 

Rob Parsons 04 Oct 2022
In reply to graeme jackson:

> I have them in my garden (south lanarkshire) ...

Wow! I thought they might only be down in the very south of England. Thanks.

65 04 Oct 2022
In reply to graeme jackson:

Mrs 65 saw one in our front garden a couple of years ago (South Edinburgh). Spectacular beasts, the first time I saw one was in the Pyrenees and I remember thinking, 'hang on, you don't get hummingbirds in Europe do you?'

And yes, I have several blurry photos. No sharp ones.

Rob Parsons 04 Oct 2022
In reply to 65:

> ... I remember thinking, 'hang on, you don't get hummingbirds in Europe do you?'

I first saw them in valleys of the French Alps in the '80s', and had exactly the same thought.

midgen 04 Oct 2022
In reply to mike123:

I saw several on our Buddleia this summer, in the midlands. First time I've ever seen them, and I used to put moth traps out frequently when I was a kid!

CantClimbTom 04 Oct 2022
In reply to mike123:

I've only ever seen one twice in my life and I'm not expecting to see a third, both in Southern England. That's a rare thing to see!

Bottom Clinger 04 Oct 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I’ve seen quite a few this year (normally see one every few years) and have read there has been a huge increase this year (probs weather related). Pretty convinced they will become more common. 

Quite funny trying to take a phone photo, waay fast. 

Ciro 04 Oct 2022
In reply to mike123:

Today I learned that the hummingbirds I saw in Slovakia must have been moths 🙂

RX-78 04 Oct 2022
In reply to mike123:

Saw them in the mountains around Annecy this year, very cool.

yorkshireman 04 Oct 2022
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I first saw them in valleys of the French Alps in the '80s', and had exactly the same thought.

Noticed them first time this year. I'm in the Vercors about 1000m up above Grenoble and they're here every day. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/boFF5f3vcpDJWZms9

The flowers they're on are simply weeds busting up from the house foundations but I didn't want to get rid of them after I saw the moths were feeding on them. 

Doug 04 Oct 2022
In reply to yorkshireman:

surprised you've not seen them before, they seem quite common in the Champsaur - see them most sunny days in our garden (altitude 1200m )

leland stamper 04 Oct 2022
In reply to mike123:

On top of the Mendips, this year and two years ago, on the buddleia, just fabulous.

Tringa 04 Oct 2022
In reply to mike123:

I can understand your delight in seeing one of these beauties. I have only seen one - but what a treat it was.

Dave

OP mike123 04 Oct 2022
In reply to mike123: I should have added that I called the kids to come and look , saying I had no idea what it was , the ten year old was transfixed , the 13 year old shrugged his shoulders and wandered back to bike chores and the fifteen year old having unsuccessfully tried to get pictures of it , wandered  off closer to the house to get Wi-Fi and came back after about a minute having identified it .

climbingpixie 04 Oct 2022
In reply to mike123:

They're amazing, feels so lucky to see one. The first time was belaying at the top of Chimes of Freedom at Mowing Word and I genuinely thought it was a hummingbird until I got home and googled it. I saw one again recently, again while I was belaying but this time at the bottom of Left Wall on the Cromlech. From this I deduce that their natural habitat is 3* classic single pitch E2s.

In reply to mike123:

I saw one a few weeks ago in my front garden (Sheffield), assumed it was a hummingbird, I posted a video on Facebook and someone came back saying it was a moth.

https://www.facebook.com/graeme.alderson.14/videos/1084788632396612

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...