How to organize a party for 150 people

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 23 Jan 2021

I thought this story about a wedding party in a school for 150 people was incredible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55764673

The question that runs through my mind is how did they get so many people to that event. I know some people will break the rules more than others and I'm not that surprised that groups of young people (ie. low risk) are having surreptitious house parties up and down the country.

But this is of a different order, not just size but because presumably the age range spans young to old, and older (and hopefully more responsible) adults organized it.

So I find it hard to comprehend how do you manage to persuade that many people to attend at the absolute height of the pandemic with the news full of the desperate state of healthcare at the moment?

Why did the organizers think it was a good idea to invite so many people? Presumably a large percentage of people didn't attend so the number of invites must be considerably higher. If you're that desperate for the wedding at least make it a small one.

As climbers we can bend the rules a bit here or there. But these people obviously don't appear to give f*ck about any of rules at all. Extraordinary.

cb294 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stp:

First step, ask your sky fairy of choice for exemption from the laws that apply to everyone else....

All cases of huge covid wedding parties I am aware of involved some flavour of religious nutters or other.

CB

TobyA 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stp:

The wedding was for people in the Haredi Jewish community, sometime called Ultra Orthodox. You might have seen video clips from back in the spring from the mass funerals of some Haredim Rabbis in New York which made international headlines because they happened at the height of the New York pandemic and were condemned by the mayor and lots of other leading figures both inside the faith and outside. It does seem that it's just a completely parallel world for many where they either aren't exposed to the world beyond their community or perhaps more accurately choose not to engage in it. It's not really surprising that it was a context like that where this happened.

There were a number of stories last year of large wedding being broken up (maybe back in the summer?) I think in Manchester and Birmingham - and the ones that made the news were taking place in South Asian communities - can't remember if they Muslim or Hindu - but basically in communities where at least some live lives quite distinct and in many ways separated from the wider country - see all the recent stories about the lack of uptake of the vaccine in various ethnic minority communities, although it seems like the NHS and other public health authorities have been trying really hard to reach out to those different groups, in other languages, using health care professionals from those communities etc. to counter the disinformation that is going around.

TobyA 23 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

> All cases of huge covid wedding parties I am aware of involved some flavour of religious nutters or other.

What about the thousands of white kids necking Es and laughing gas, and chucking stuff at the police when they came to close down the raves last year? Did they get an exemption from a sky fairy?

In reply to TobyA:

Sadly those attending raves or weddings are no different from others that bend the rules, like some climbers and walkers, to do what they want to/enjoy. 

No doubt there will now come justification from those quarters that they are not causing any increase in the risk; however, they are still breaking the rules and in no real position to preach. 

I may not agree with the rules but they have been implemented to control this pandemic and as such we should conform. 

marsbar 23 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Many young people have an unshakable elief that they are invincible.  That bad things happen to other people. Its partly caused by the brain rewiring process as teenagers grow into adults.  Most of them grow out of it.  

Cobra_Head 23 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

> First step, ask your sky fairy of choice for exemption from the laws that apply to everyone else....

> All cases of huge covid wedding parties I am aware of involved some flavour of religious nutters or other.

> CB

But the Rabbi of the synagogue most of them went to had recently died of Covid!!

Removed User 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stp:

A ten minute walk around Stamford Hill (the area concerned) will tell you these Ultra Orthodox guys are literally on a different planet.

Purple 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> A ten minute walk around Stamford Hill (the area concerned) will tell you these Ultra Orthodox guys are literally on a different planet.

No, not literally. I agree 100% with the spirit of your message though.

OP stp 23 Jan 2021
In reply to HighChilternRidge:

> Sadly those attending raves or weddings are no different from others that bend the rules, like some climbers and walkers, to do what they want to/enjoy. 

You see no difference between a climber who meets one other person outside and observes social distancing all day and someone who spends a whole evening inside with 150 other people, probably getting pissed?

The difference in risk is surely huge.

OP stp 23 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

> It does seem that it's just a completely parallel world for many where they either aren't exposed to the world beyond their community or perhaps more accurately choose not to engage in it. It's not really surprising that it was a context like that where this happened.

I have heard it claimed by others that they didn't know about Covid and rules etc.. Personally I don't buy that. You don't have to watch the news to notice that suddenly everyone is wearing masks everywhere, shops are closed and there are social distancing signs all over the place. Also they covered the windows of the school so they couldn't be seen and then all scarpered when the cops arrived. Seems to me that they knew full well what they were doing.

wintertree 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stp:

>  Also they covered the windows of the school so they couldn't be seen

Handy for ventilating the virus laden air, that.

In reply to stp:

I was wondering if those organising these parties are charging the guests as a way of covering any fine. Or pocketing the cash if they don't get collered..............

In reply to stp:

So how many people getting together is okay to break the rules? Two because me and my mate want to climbing? Ten because a group want to play five aside football? 

I would agree there is a difference in risk but who are we to say we are okay. 

Dave Garnett 23 Jan 2021
In reply to HighChilternRidge:

> So how many people getting together is okay to break the rules? Two because me and my mate want to climbing?

Nope, apparently not:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-55781735

cb294 23 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

No, they were presumably somewhere between young and stupid and fully antisocial, and should be punished severely for their behaviour.

However, I was talking specifically about weddings, and there such deliberate flouting of covid rules was typically committed by groups who generallu hod their religiouns traditions higher than any regulations protecting all of society.

This is not limited to one single religion, here in Germany such incidents happened mainly with fundamendalist christian and islamic congregations.

CB

OP stp 23 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

> This is not limited to one single religion,

That's interesting. I had always thought religious types were extremely law abiding because their religion told them to be.

GrahamD 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stp:

> That's interesting. I had always thought religious types were extremely law abiding because their religion told them to be.

Ahh, but which law ?

WaterMonkey 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stp:

> You see no difference between a climber who meets one other person outside and observes social distancing all day and someone who spends a whole evening inside with 150 other people, probably getting pissed?

But it’s not just one climber is it? It’s every person who thinks like that. There’s probably thousands of people across the country meeting with one or two others. That actually ends up being more risk than a party of 100.

And I don’t believe you can climb with a partner and stay 2m apart at all times. Not Sharing gear etc. Even if you did stay 2m apart it isn’t zero risk. Multiply that by thousands of others doing various other sports and you start to see why we are still at 30-40k cases a day.

Michael Hood 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stp:

In areas that have no conflict with religious observance, Jewish law is to follow the law of the land.

So whilst I could see that not being able to get married might be arguable as such a conflict (*), the inviting of loads of guests is not necessary.

A wedding in Judaism would only technically require 5 people to be valid, bride, groom, person carrying out the ceremony and 2 witnesses. Even if you included the parents, that's only 9. But 150? There's nothing in Jewish law that says you must have all your siblings and their spouses & kids and aunts & uncles, etc there - nice though that would be in normal circumstances.

* marrying & raising a family is seen as a serious religious obligation, especially by the ultra-orthodox who tend to marry young, and it's not like they can just go and live together, just doesn't happen within that community. Also, in their time together before getting married, the couple may not have had any physical contact at all - that kind of thing is strictly for once married.

marsbar 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

There has been much condemnation from the community, as someone said the rabbi recently died, the school didn’t know about it and sound absolutely furious.  

I don't think it’s religious law that is the problem.  I wonder if it is the “it’s all in God’s hands and it won’t happen to me” which is more of an issue.  

marsbar 23 Jan 2021

I think that is a really rude thing to say.  

Just because people like to wear traditional clothing doesn’t make them aliens.  

Michael Hood 23 Jan 2021
In reply to marsbar:

I have serious trouble believing that the school didn't know. They might not have known about this particular celebration but surely they had said to the "leasing" company "I presume that means all bookings have stopped". If not then they have a serious level of incompetence.

The Rabbi who died in April from Covid was the head of the school, widely known and respected.

One of the paramount things in Judaism is the preservation of life - most laws can be transgressed if life or limb is at stake - so I remain flabbergasted at the attitudes within some of the communities - and the "it won't happen to me" attitude is also weird in that a lot of people (within these communities or people that are known to these communities) died in the 1st Covid wave from transmission that almost certainly occurred on the festival of Purim last March a couple of weeks before the 1st lockdown.

Removed User 23 Jan 2021
In reply to marsbar:

You must have lived a very sheltered life if you think that's rude. I could go on about how far removed from western liberalism the adherents of Haredi Judaism are (and its a bit more than traditional garb) but i get the impression you would rather remain on the outrage bus.

In reply to WaterMonkey:

That was exactly the point I was trying to make, thank you 🙏 

Anotherclimber 23 Jan 2021

"Literally" on a different planet?

Removed User 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stp:

The term "figure of speech" may help you here. You have probably come across it before in real life.

65 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stp:

Go back to June 2016 and have a look at some of the news reports. All will become clear.

marsbar 23 Jan 2021

I assumed the leasing company lied to the school.  In my experience it's very separate and it is a private company using the buildings. No staff overlap usually.  There is no way of knowing if the school knew or not I suppose.  

marsbar 23 Jan 2021

I'm aware thank you.  I don't like aspects of any extreme patriarchal religion.  Doesn't mean I think you should be rude about people and the way they dress.  

OP stp 24 Jan 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> There’s probably thousands of people across the country meeting with one or two others. That actually ends up being more risk than a party of 100.

Well I think the fact that you're comparing the entire rest of the country with just one party is the really the point.

The main problem is that when you have a government that can't be arsed it's going to be that much more difficult to motivate ordinary people.

Lankyman 24 Jan 2021
In reply to marsbar:

> I'm aware thank you.  I don't like aspects of any extreme patriarchal religion.

Does that mean you're fine with extreme matriarchal religions?

TobyA 24 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55778930

Police say 200 folk here, some of whom chose to assault the cops breaking up the party. Not sure if they needed a religious justification.

Michael Hood 24 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

> Not sure if they needed a religious justification.

I didn't see any report of a religious justification (I may have missed it) - it was just an event with most participants from a particular religious group.

It seems that law-breaking gatherings can be from any part of society.

In reply to stp:

You did see the prayers being said by the QAnon bloke in the Capitol a couple of weeks ago.

cb294 24 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Where is your reading comprehension? I never doubted that there are ilegal raves and such, but WEDDINGS are either small affairs, as reasonable couples who really want the whole party business postpone until they can have a proper do again.

The ones who have the traditional full do with hundreds of guests, and f*ck all covid regulations, are almost inevitably from some religious fringe group.

The actual religion is less important. Here in Germany it is mainly muslims and fundamentalists christians, especially amongst Russian emigrees. Despite lockdown regulations the Russian baptists around here also repeatedly held services with >100 people in attendance that then had to be broken up by police.

CB

Offwidth 24 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

Are WEDDINGS illegally big weddings? Speaking as a humanist, your obsessions with blanket blaming the religious seem to me just as bad as the opposite from religious extremists (hate breeding hate?) You might want to think on how the UK, given the fact that it is one of the least religious countries in the world, has the same scale small minority problem with people who won't follow public health rules. Or do those ravers think God is a DJ!? Religious leaders in the UK seem to me to have broadly supported the government public health message and helped us greatly in tackling the pandemic in their religious communities

cb294 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

No, WEDDINGS are weddings for those who (deliberately?) missed repeatedly that I was talking about these events specifically in a post further up.

As I said, too, for those willing to read, people organizing and attending raves right now are just as bad, but the whole thread was started by a wedding with hundred of guests in a Jewish community that does not give a f*ck about secular laws or facts of this world if they do not fit to their religious nuttery.

FFS, even the head of the school where the wedding took place just died of Covid.

My point is that such deliberate flouting of secular law is not restricted to Jewish congregations, but is rather common amongst all kind of religious groups, who think that  the rules some paranoid schizophrenic or goat herd who had eaten the wrong mushrooms* wrote down 2500 years ago supersede the laws and regulations of our societies today.

We have indulged the superstitionists much too much long. The result is that we now supposedly should tolerate that they endanger our lives. No more exceptions of any kind based on religion!

CB

* if you do not agree with this diagnosis, just read the prohecies of Ezekiel or the Book of Revelation....

TobyA 24 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

Well actually - after you accuse of me of lacking reading comprehension - perhaps remember your first post had your little rant about sky fairies in your first line, as is your wont, and only went on to mention weddings in your second paragraph. 

Alternatively, it could just be that some of us have learnt by now what your triggers are, and were just a bit bored on a cold and chilly Sunday afternoon when we're not allowed to drive up to the Lakes to go winter climbing, and there is too much ice on the roads to go for a bike ride safely.

But more seriously, there have been some stories of wedding parties broken up under lockdown rules, that I alluded to in my second post, but at least in the UK there haven't been that many of them. I've definitely seen a lot more stories about raves and other illegal parties - including the famous student ones. The numbers seem to be bigger attending these "secular celebrations" too. And on the other side of scale you have various sky-fairy botherers giving up their cathedrals and mosques to be used as vaccination centres, voluntarily closing their places of worship to minimise transmission risk despite them having a legal right not to do so. I've seen senior orthodox rabbis and imams telling doubters in their communities why having a vaccination isn't just kosher/halal, but may well be a moral obligation under the teachings of their faiths. So just as some idiots at a rave shouldn't damn all young people, or uni students, or whatever, it seems a bit harsh to wrap up (some/most/all?) people of faith in the actions of 100 odd Haredim (I don't think we can blame the kids present) in North London. 

cb294 24 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

My first reply obviously was motivated by the OP, who offered just another shocking example of religious fundamentalists putting their superstitions above the law and the health of everybody else. So, the wedding was mentioned even before I started typing.

Well, f*ck the religionists. A description of their delusions as believing in a "sky fairy" is actually rather mild criticism compared to the brazen disregard they have for everybody else's lives. They deserve much worse!

CB

Offwidth 25 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

I think you're mad in both senses on this subject. Sure, f*ck the religionists who ignore government rules so blatently at such a terrible risk to public health but the vast majority of the religious in the UK are just as concerned with such behaviour without having to resort to something similar to your hate speech on unreligious hedonism, unfairly blaming milliions for the fault of a tiny minority.

cb294 25 Jan 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

The issue is not so much that I consider religion idiotic due to its intellectual obsolescence, there are plenty idiots of other flavours, too. What people believe in private is another issue.

The problem is that organized religion gets a free pass due to the venerable age of their particular idiocy. Can you think of any other club or other organization that gets away with, say, coverups for child abuse, discrimination of women and LGBT groups, flouting of labour laws, etc.?

I do not agree that the valuable cultural and charity work that is also done by religious organizations is enough to justify these exceptions.

Secular society should finally grow a backbone, e.g. dissolve congregations, confiscate their property, deport jihadist imams...

CB

TobyA 25 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

> Secular society should finally grow a backbone, e.g. dissolve congregations, confiscate their property, deport jihadist imams...

Re-education camps ala Xinjiang? 

Rob Exile Ward 25 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

No, but it is weird how putting a religious label on something seems to be almost a get out of jail card; there is a definite trend that people breaking the law for religious reasons have a better excuse than kids having a rave.

Not in my book they don't.

And in the 21st C I really, really struggle to believe that very many people actually believe this sh*t, in the light of all the scientific evidence that has accumulated over the past few hundred years. People who think that a better world awaits are sadly either simple or deluded. Time to move on folks, build inclusive secular societies for the here and now, based on shared values, history, culture, familial ties, geography, tolerance... no need for sky fairies.

cb294 25 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

No, people should be free to believe whatever they like, but the organizations must be reined in.

Give me one good reason for the exceptions from antidiscrimination or animal welfare laws, special protection through anti blasphemy rules, etc. organized religion enjoys without a shred of evidence that their teachings have a basis in fact.

And don't get me started on the child abuse and its coverup by the Catholic church in particular. If this was any other group whose internal organization facilitated these crimes to the same extent, and whose management was complicit in covering these crimes, they would all long be in jail, the organization dissolved, and its assets used to compensate the victims.

Also, why do we need faith representatives on ethics councils, as if being religious gave you a monopoly on ethics (which some faith leaders claim in all seriousness, which I find extremely insulting).

The Lutheran and catholic churches over here even sit on the committee for finding a site for a long term nuclear storage site. If anything, being a superstitionist should disqualify you from taking part in such a crucial, and essentially scientific and rational decision making process.

I do not at all deny that religious groups also do beneficial and charitable works, and enjoy church music, but this does not absolve the organizations from responsibility for their actions, and a duty to adhere to the law.

CB

Offwidth 25 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

You are making stuff up, there is no free pass in the UK. Cover ups for child abuse happened in secular homes. Discrimination against 'LGBT' and women is too common away from the religious and abuse of labour laws is becoming almost a national business game, even happening in Universities. 

Secular society should grow a backbone and prosecute abuses irrespective of faith.

cb294 25 Jan 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Why this whataboutery? You appear to wilfully look away from the extra treatment organized religion enjoys.

You guys even have an established church with bishops in the HoL for no discernable justification but tradition. Why are there still blasphemy laws, 500 years after the age of enlightenment, but religionists can spout any old bullshit about atheists (e.g. that atheists are amoral because morals derive from god)? What about kosher or halal butchering of animals?

I absolutely agree that abuses or norm breaking elsewhere should be prosecuted as well, but why be less strict with organized religion?

CB

Lankyman 25 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

> Well, f*ck the religionists. A description of their delusions as believing in a "sky fairy" is actually rather mild criticism compared to the brazen disregard they have for everybody else's lives. They deserve much worse!

You're coming across as an intolerant zealot

cb294 25 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes I am intolerant of idiots that get much more leeway than their outdated, obsolete ideas merit.

What about addressing the points I raised instead (e.g. exemptions from anti discrimination rules and unmerited special protections such as blasphemy laws removing them from criticism)?

CB

Lankyman 25 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

> What about addressing the points I raised instead (e.g. exemptions from anti discrimination rules and unmerited special protections such as blasphemy laws removing them from criticism)?

Because you're ranting and raving like the intolerant zealots that you so despise. I can't be bothered shooting down your 'points' because they are juvenile generalisations. Most of the religious people I've met don't fit your rabid stereotypes. They're lovely, genuine people not your stupid followers of a 'sky fairy'.

Offwidth 25 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

It's not whataboutery to challenge your universal attacks on the criminality of the religious where criminality is just as common outside religion. The problem is human criminal behaviour much more than religion, away from extremists.

Enlightenment is just a european label, the churches controlled discourse long after that. Compared to a few hundred years ago, Cordoba arguably had a higher level of freedom of thinking and belief around a milenium ago, under Islam.

Yes the fact the church of England is part of the state (with Bishops in the Lords and blasphemy laws) is a historical oddity that I hope will change soon.

The idea that an atheist or agnostic would be insulted by a religious fool calling them immoral is laughable. They could just calmly explain their moral framework (or ignore or lampoon them).

As our state allows freedom of belief then religious treatment of meat production must be allowed, under legal controls.

Now Coel has gone I suppose someone had to play the Ian Paisley of atheism, but I'd wish you would stop. My religious friends are good law abiding people and don't deserve such bigoted labelling.

cb294 25 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

I know plenty individually nice Christians (mainly) as well, but their organizations cause immense damage through their privileges.

CB

Lankyman 25 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

> I know plenty individually nice Christians (mainly) as well, but their organizations cause immense damage through their privileges.

A lot of the stranded lorry drivers in Kent a few weeks ago were delighted to receive hot food donations from a Sikh community group. That's what being decent means. I think that's fantastic.

cb294 25 Jan 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

> It's not whataboutery to challenge your universal attacks on the criminality of the religious where criminality is just as common outside religion. The problem is human criminal behaviour much more than religion, away from extremists.

I acknowledge this, but the difference is that organized religion enjoys unique and undeserved protections. Also, child abuse, while common elsewhere, is clearly more common and selected for in the catholic church, not surprising given its bizarre relation with sexuality. However, we were not talking about that but about flouting Covid rules.

> Enlightenment is just a european label, the churches controlled discourse long after that. Compared to a few hundred years ago, Cordoba arguably had a higher level of freedom of thinking and belief around a milenium ago, under Islam.

I agree with both these points.

> Yes the fact the church of England is part of the state (with Bishops in the Lords and blasphemy laws) is a historical oddity that I hope will change soon.

Then argue for that, and help achieving that change! How many more Charlie Hebdos do we need before we decide that free speech must always trump religious feelings?

Apart from that, Christian history underlies most of the fabric of our societies. I am actually supportive of these traditions (even if you may not believe this). People shoul know what is celebrated on a given holiday rather than simply enjoying another Thursday off. Sundays without church bells would be wrong, same as I do structure my year along Christian traditions such as listening to Christmas oratories and Bach passions at Easter. I would also not wear a hat or shorts when visiting a cathredral to admire the religious art. The important bit for me is that I know that this is merely cultural and does not contain truth about the world.

> The idea that an atheist or agnostic would be insulted by a religious fool calling them immoral is laughable. They could just calmly explain their moral framework (or ignore or lampoon them).

Calm explanation is a waste of effort, and lampooning falls foul of blasphemy. Anyway, I am not complaining about being called immoral, but about an ingrained assumption that any ethics discussion must include church representatives because that is what they do professionally. To hear this from (or about) an organzation that supported and still supports child abusers is rather galling.

> As our state allows freedom of belief then religious treatment of meat production must be allowed, under legal controls.

No, it is the religious freedom that must be curtailed. Rules governing animal welfare or antidiscrimination laws must apply without exception, otherwise why bother at all.

> Now Coel has gone I suppose someone had to play the Ian Paisley of atheism, but I'd wish you would stop. My religious friends are good law abiding people and don't deserve such bigoted labelling.

I have plenty of good religious friends as well, but I disagree with the privileges of organized religion and the feeling of entitlement quite a few religious people often have.

I think this feeling of entitlement from an organization that historically grew rich and powerful by using "fake news" to indoctrinate and then exploit the gullible is what annoys me most. Individually, I support everyones right to believe whatever they want, but that certainly does not necessarily include a right to act on these beliefs, e.g. hold a large wedding or Sunday service in Covid times just because religious traditions or rules demand it.

CB

cb294 25 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Absolutely. I already pointed out above that I acknowledge the charitable work of many faith groups (actually, I even contribute to some such initiatives), but that does not justify the special treatment organized religions enjoy.

CB

edit: Anyway, I am out of this thread, as I do not assume that further discussion makes much sense, both sides having made their point.

Have a good evening, and offwidth too.

Post edited at 18:15
 Michael Hood 25 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

If you think that what you might consider "humane" slaughter using pre-stunning is in fact any more humane in practice than kosher slaughter - then you need to have a better look at the evidence.

Can't comment on halal slaughter except that my understanding is that it has less or looser "controls" than kosher slaughter.

Offwidth 26 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

"I have plenty of good religious friends as well, but I disagree with the privileges of organized religion and the feeling of entitlement quite a few religious people often have."

Ignoring the obvious resonance of the first phrase it's good to see you acknowledge some are OK. However, if they are genuine friends you are insulting their friendship with the earlier over-zealous prattle. It is possible to disagree about faith without insult and ignorant generalisation and to point out religious criminailty and poor religious leadership without blaming the whole population of a religion.

Post edited at 07:18
 Offwidth 26 Jan 2021

How about wedding regulations?

Michael Hood 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

I commented on one of the other threads (or was it higher up this one?) about this - in Judaism you need 5 people at a wedding, bride, groom, officiant and 2 witnesses. Everyone after that is because you (understandably) want to celebrate with family and friends.

I'm not up to speed on the wedding restrictions during Covid, but because of the way relationships are progressed within the ultra-orthodox, I can understand that an argument could be made for allowing a wedding to go ahead.

But having more people than the regulations allow? There's no justification for that in Jewish law, and 150, that's just taking the piss. Fine the lot of them, no excuses.

Exit: just looked, it was higher up this thread so a lot of the above is repetition.

We're all speculating on the reasoning and throwing up our hands in horror and indignation, but I really would like to hear the reasoning behind doing this 150 person wedding, by those organising, those facilitating, and those attending. Even if I couldn't convince people of the wrongness of their actions, I'd at least like to properly understand it.

Post edited at 08:00

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...