How much is my van worth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey All,

I’ve got a 2012 Citroen Dispatch Van.  that I’m thinking of selling. I don’t like using a van as my day to day vehicle, and would prefer an estate car that is cheaper to run.

I’d be grateful if folk on here could advise where best to sell it, and how much to ask for it. 

Its a 2 litre diesel, with just under 80k on the clock. The body work and bumpers have a few scrapes, but there is no rust. 

It has three seats in the front. There is a window in the sliding door on the passenger side. The back opens with split doors, rather than a boot. 

The back has been converted into a basic camper. It has been insulated and ply lined. The walls and ceiling are covered in carpet, and the floor is covered with wood effect laminate. It has a single bed that pulls out into a double, and has plenty of storage underneath. It also has a fold out table that you can eat on. 

Directly behind the cab, it also has a bartop (with more storage for food and utensils beneath.) and a double gas burner, which is quick and easy to remove. The bed and cabinets are all well made and could be removed no problems. 

The van also has a leisure battery, which provides lighting and two usb charge points in the back. There is also a little shelf for storing phones ect while sleeping.  

Any idea how much this is all worth? Assuming the van is mechanically sound, has been recently serviced and is in good working order? 

Cheers, Tom

Tigger 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

There are loads of variables to consider unfortunately, market conditions, is VAT applicable, quality of conversion and known potential issues with that model / year of van. Though gumtree and facebook marketplace might be a good place to look for comparisons.

Citeron Dispatch, Peugeot Partner and Fiat Scudo's are esentially the same vans just rebranded, haveing a look at those might also give you an idea.

Dax H 08 Sep 2020

6 months ago the base van maybe £1000 but recently prices have shot up. I needed a quick cheap runabout 2 weeks ago and couldn't find anything as modern as a 12 plate with less than 100k miles for less than 3k unless the bodywork was trashed. What your camper conversion adds I don't know but its a sellers market at the moment. 

People have spent months at home and had holidays canceled, UK holidays have gone through the roof so I would bung it on ebay starting at 3k and see what it makes. Do it before the weather turns though. 

Not sure on the pricing (though you should be able to get an idea of its value from looking at other similar vans on Autotrader/Gumtree/eBay etc.) but I recently sold a converted van through Autotrader without any issue.  Had to pay for the listing but it does allow you to reach a wide audience.  Also sold a previous one through a premium post on here, so that's worth thinking about as well.  

Good luck with it.  

Post edited at 11:31
 peppermill 08 Sep 2020

I hope you sell the van and it doesn't come to this but if you really find yourself struggling to shift it, (which may happen at the moment, let's face it) it's surprising how much webuyanycar.com pay for vans when you consider the peanuts they offer for cars.

Was trying to sell mine just as lockdown came in, and I needed rid of it as everything was opening up again. They gave me fairly close to what I could advertise it for on Gumtree or whatever.

Post edited at 11:35
 La benya 08 Sep 2020

You could probably mug someone off and ask for £6k maybe even more.

You'd likely get at least £5k for it.

as Dax said above, prices have gone nuts at the moment.

if hes right and the base vehicle is around £3k, then £2-3K for materials and time for the basic conversion doesn't seem unreasonable.  alot of people like the idea of #vanlife, but dont want to do the work themselves.

loads of group on facebook where you can post it.  everyone will say its massively overpriced and that you taking the piss... but you never see the same van reposted.  people are buying them!

Tobes 08 Sep 2020

It’s not yellow is it?! 

sorry couldn’t resist.....

Dax H 08 Sep 2020
In reply to La benya:

I would still start low on ebay. My experience is people get carried away bidding and often you get far more than expected. 

You do have to put up with a weeks worth of people offering you 1/4 of its worth though. 

Thanks all, really helpful 

Why all the dislikes?

gravy 10 Sep 2020

It's the random like tickbot.  Just ignore it.

jimtitt 10 Sep 2020

Because it looks like advertising but not paying?

In reply to jimtitt:

I guess so, but that wasn’t my intention.

The New NickB 10 Sep 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Tom isn’t advertising, but even if he was, isn’t that one of the benefits of being a UKC Supporter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...