How do you pronounce this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 06 May 2020

I know he's not particularly conventional but even so......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52557291

Neil R 06 May 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

pri-ten-shuhs

dread-i 06 May 2020

When you're worth many, many billions of dollars, the correct pronunciation is 'yes, sir'.

FactorXXX 06 May 2020

It's pronounced: "Yes, I know it's complete bollocks, but my parents are idiots".

a crap climber 06 May 2020

I like the the mother's comment of "A 12 = precursor to SR 17 (our favourite aircraft)"

So favourite that she got the name wrong. "Our" favourite, sure.

Mentions A12 was known as 'Archangel', but it was also called 'Oxcart', wouldn't want that to stick... 

Lankyman 06 May 2020

That's even worse than Mr and Mrs Tew who wanted to christen their daughter Iris.

Yanis Nayu 06 May 2020
In reply to a crap climber:

Why not go for sr71 then? 

DerwentDiluted 06 May 2020

I'm inspired, expect in 9 months a proud announcement of the arrival of TPS-E0 4c Diluted.

Andy Hardy 06 May 2020

I guess it's pronounced yesmidadsadick

profitofdoom 06 May 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> It's pronounced: "Yes, I know it's complete bollocks, but my parents are idiots".

I USED to wonder why celebrities gave their children unusual names. I don't any more (and you've given an interesting explanation). Here for anyone's interest are some other celebrity children's names:

Gravity (Child of: Lucky Blue Smith and Stormi Bree), Kal-El (Child of: Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim), Pilot Inspektor (Child of: Jason Lee and Beth Riesgraf), Sunday Molly (Child of: Mike Myers and Kelly Tisdale), Apollo Bowie Flynn, Kingston James McGregor, and Zuma Nesta Rock (Children of: Gavin Rossdale and Gwen Stefani), Rocket, Racer, Rebel, Rogue, and Rhiannon (Children of: Robert Rodriguez and Elizabeth Avellán), Blue Ivy (Child of: Jay Z and Beyoncé), Cricket Pearl and Birdie Leigh (Children of: Marc Silverstein and Busy Philipps), Bear Blu (Child of: Christopher Jarecki and Alicia Silverstone), Kulture Kiari (Child of: Cardi B and Offset), Sparrow James Midnight (Child of: Joel Madden and Nicole Richie), Moroccan and Monroe (Children of: Nick Cannon and Mariah Carey), Reign (Child of: Scott Disick and Kourtney Kardashian), Bear Blaze (Child of: Ned Rocknroll and Kate Winslet), Apple (Child of: Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow), Exton (Child of: Robert Downey, Jr., and Susan Downey), Seargeoh (Child of: Sylvester Stallone and Sasha Czack), North, Saint, and Chicago (Children of: Kanye West and Kim Kardashian West), Poppy Honey Rosie, Daisy Boo Pamela, Buddy Bear, and Petal Blossom Rainbow (Children of: Jamie Oliver and Juliette Norton), Rumer, Scout, and Tallulah Belle (Children of: Bruce Willis and Demi Moore), Maddox and Shiloh (Children of: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Pitt), Tennessee (Child of: Jim Toth and Reese Witherspoon), Destry (Child of: Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw), Lazer Lee Louis Pentz (Child of: Diplo and Kathryn Lockhart), Elsie Otter (Child of: Jacob Pechenik and Zooey Deschanel)

EdS 06 May 2020

its in the special language of THC

Ridge 06 May 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

Erm, about this list of “celebrities”. Advertising standards have been informed.

profitofdoom 06 May 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> Erm, about this list of “celebrities”. Advertising standards have been informed.

Oh no! Please let me off! I'll drop 3 quid per celebrity into the Llanberis MRT collection box soon... HONESTLY

Toerag 06 May 2020

> I USED to wonder why celebrities gave their children unusual names. I don't any more (and you've given an interesting explanation). Here for anyone's interest are some other celebrity children's names:

What, none of Boris' children in your list?!

gravy 06 May 2020

"he's not particularly conventional" maybe, but he is boringly predictable

Post edited at 14:39
Gone for good 06 May 2020
In reply to gravy:

Last week he came out saying he thought Tesla shares were overvalued.  That knocked 14 billion dollars off the company value.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/elon-musk-te...

Post edited at 14:53
 profitofdoom 06 May 2020
In reply to Toerag:

> What, none of Boris' children in your list?!

Err no, sticking to 'ollywood celebrities, don't know why

In reply to Toerag:

> What, none of Boris' children in your list?!

Not enough space on UKC servers...?

Timmd 06 May 2020

Exeea12?

Poor kid.  Maybe it'll asked to be called something like 'Exee' when it's older?

Post edited at 15:18
 nniff 06 May 2020

And I thought N-a was bad.  Apparently, this one is now not unusual in the US but caused confusion when it arrived in the UK.

N-a is, of course, Nadasha.

Also  N-ah

Also kinell

Timmd 06 May 2020
In reply to nniff:

It makes names like Arwen from (iirc) The Lord Of The Rings seem pretty normal and kind as choices.

Edit: That's cool, it is actually Welsh and means 'noble maiden'.

Post edited at 15:42
Removed User 06 May 2020

The children  who have been given these ridiculous names have my permission to give their parents a hard time.

Gone for good 07 May 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Why not go for sr71 then? 

Or even better, the A10 Thunderbolt!

Andy Hardy 07 May 2020

> Or even better, the A10 Thunderbolt!

Wasn't that also known as 'the warthog'?

Co1in H 08 May 2020

The man is a fruitloop!

wintertree 08 May 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Wasn't that also known as 'the warthog'?

I think it looks more like a puma.

youtube.com/watch?v=uZS0WIQI7UU&

wintertree 08 May 2020

Should have called the kid Avro-730.  Years ahead of the A12 and just for a change the McMillan government of the time cancelled it.  It’s spiritual descendant may yet fly as Skylon.

Mr Lopez 08 May 2020

"It's thought that Grimes may have given birth in California where certain names cannot be registered.

(...). Names have to consist of the 26 letters of the alphabet."

Feck me. Californian dirver's licenses must be like a foot long

nathan79 09 May 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I used to work beside a Malaysian girl who's English first name was Iris, second name Choo. I never found out if this was intentional or not.

Removed User 09 May 2020

Poor wee bastard.

I hope his parents stay rich.

Imagine him ending up in P6 in Castlemilk primary school. He wouldn't last the week.

I remember a story from Japan where a couple were forbidden to register their child as Delicate Blossom Plucked From Hairy Bottom so they went away and thought about it came back and tried to register it as Devil Child. Again they were refused so they tried to call it Something Else and were incensed when that too was refused because they claimed they they had been told the they must call it something else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...