Help please - TLS security settings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Can anybody help re TLS security settings please? 

I'm running Windows 10 on my PC with IE and can't access UKC and just get a warning about TLS security settings. I've checked the existing forums and followed all the advice on the Microsoft community pages. I've tried the TLS settings, updated windows and tried other web browsers but no joy. 

Anybody else come across this and how did you fix it please? 

TIA Sven

Jack B 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Graham 'Sven' Hassall:

Can you post the exact text of the error you get when you try to visit the site?

You may already know this, but IE is nearly dead, I think Microsoft only keep it about out of nostalgia and to support a few companies with weird intranet systems. So if you don't get it working easily, you could think about changing.  Microsoft's replacement is called Edge, and Chrome and Firefox are also popular.

Sorry, is this definitely on Windows 10? I've only ever seen this on Windows 7 before that only doesn't support modern TLS encryption.

In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thank you both. I can confirm that this is windows 10. 

I've just tried it on Edge and got the following: 

The connection for this site is not secure. 

Www.ukclimbing.com uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Thrudge 07 Apr 2020

Have you tried clearing the browser cache?

Thrudge 07 Apr 2020

Also, this:

Click the Google Chrome – Settings icon (Settings) icon, and then click Settings.

Click Show advanced settings.

Under Network, click Change proxy settings. The Internet Properties dialog box appears.

Click the Content tab.

Click “Clear SSL state”, and then click OK.

Restart Chrome.

ianstevens 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Thrudge:

Apart from the fact that the OP is using IE/Edge...

In reply to ianstevens:

Thanks all, I've cleared the SSL state and browser history on Chrome, IE and Edge and tried them all again. I've also turned all AV settings off but no change....

SouthernSteve 07 Apr 2020

I presume date and time on your computer are correct. 

tom r 07 Apr 2020

Are you connecting through standard wifi or a phone hotspot. I had a spate of TLS issues about 4-5 months ago using my phone as a hotspot.

Post edited at 14:49
In reply to tom r:

Time and date are correct  and thanks to the prompt from Tom, I've just tried connecting via my phone's hotspot and it loads fine, so I'm guessing the problem is with my BT Broadband somewhere? 

Spent the best part of the day trying to figure this out. Thanks for all the help this far. Any BT wifi gurus out there? 

Toerag 07 Apr 2020

Could be a firewall setting in the broadband router?

BT: try turning off your parental controls via your BT account and see if that helps.

In reply to SouthernSteve:

I should say that this is only a problem if you use a non BT DNS

freeflyer 07 Apr 2020

See this thread, which may offer a solution:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/quot-ERR-SSL-VERSION-OR-CIPH...

Good luck!

In reply to freeflyer:

Thanks all for your help. Just replying here to close the loop in case someone else has a similar problem in the future, and as I did, searches the forum for advice: 

Its difficult to say exactly what the problem was, but certainly the out of date versions of Explorer and windows contributed. That being said, once I'd updated to the latest versions and all updates on both, the problem still persisted. The final step was to try to connect via my phone hot spot, identifying the problem with my ISP. Removing all parental controls was the final part of the puzzle. Note that clarifying that the PC and the website sat outside of these, had no effect.

Thanks again to all that posted, including the UKC team.

Sven

Glad you got there in the end.

andrew breckill 12 Apr 2020
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

As my Masters supervisor once said, and I quote, 'If I catch anyone using IE, they will be marked down'. Seriously you might be the last user of IE.

Post edited at 10:49
In reply to andrew breckill:

Not quite sadly. My organisation (roughly 17,000 staff) has IE locked in as the default browser. You can use edge if you make a conscious choice to but you can’t change the default so most staff just carry on with IE.

Sadly IE is pretty futuristic and forward thinking compared to the rest of their IT infrastructure. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...