Happy solstice morn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siward 20 Jun 2020

Waiting for sunrise  

Andy Gamisou 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

Witnessed it whilst walking the pooches about an hour and a half ago  Hadn't realised it was the summer solstice though otherwise I'd have taken a virgin with me to sacrifice.  Bummer.  Enjoy!

OP Siward 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Gosh actual sunrise not until 4:39 here and still waiting for the sun to clear the treeline in the distance. 

Andy Gamisou 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

> Gosh actual sunrise not until 4:39 here and still waiting for the sun to clear the treeline in the distance. 

Maybe it won't show up where you are!

Andy Gamisou 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

Actually, isn't it tomorrow?

OP Siward 20 Jun 2020

Well, it's 22:43 tonight as I recall, so take your pick really. Today seems to be the consensus on the web. 

Andy Gamisou 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

> Well, it's 22:43 tonight as I recall, so take your pick really. Today seems to be the consensus on the web. 

Yes, seems to be. Google for some reason says tomorrow. 

Rog Wilko 20 Jun 2020

I was always led to believe the solstice was June 21, but have lately come to realise that the precise moment fluctuates and that the 21st is just the average.

Tom Valentine 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

There's some odd stuff out there. The other month there were three nights classified as having a full moon. I think it may have been a typo. I understand why it can be called full for two nights.

Post edited at 09:30
 freeflyer 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Ah yes, but is there such a thing as a precise moment that fluctuates?

Rog Wilko 20 Jun 2020
In reply to freeflyer:

Good point.  But I think the moment of the solstice is when at the local noon somewhere in the world at 23.5 degrees latitude the sun is exactly overhead. This can be at any time GMT or BST in the UK. Someone else will be along shortly to say I'm wrong. 

Wainers44 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

We had the briefest of red skies at Teignmouth at 0503. Then headed to the moor for a walk and a takeaway cuppa from the Fox Tor Cafe. Early, but nice start to the day 😁

gethin_allen 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

I was really hoping to join in with the annual Cardiff to the beach (Swansea) over night bike ride this year. But covid had scuppered that. I've done it twice before and it's great fun but the last few years I've been injured or out of the country and next year I'll be the other end of the country.

freeflyer 21 Jun 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The main thing I enjoy (other than the scientific banter) is the history and the paganism. Get out there and make chalk drawings - or make things on chalk drawings After all, it's not every day the sun stands still.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...