Hamish MacInnes on BBC Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Parsons 11 Oct 2020

The programme 'Final Ascent: The Legend of Hamish MacInnes' aired on BBC Scotland last night, and is now available on the BBC iPlayer - see https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hp3m

I found it very interesting on a number of different levels. One thing he mentions is that the karabiner which failed and which led to the death of Tom Patey on The Maiden sea stack, was a known-faulty one which MacInnes had previously given to Patey as part of a belt to keep his trousers up, along with the strict warning that it wasn't to be used for climbing at all.

Graeme G 11 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Great programme, which also asks lots of questions about the treatment of the elderly. Mental capacity vs urinary infections. I could relate to it hugely on a personal level.

Removed User 11 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I thought the peg he was abbing off had come out.

Rob Exile Ward 11 Oct 2020
In reply to Removed User:

That was never the case, or ever suggested. The rope he was abseiling remained in place.

I've heard a 'conspiracy theory' type explanation, but the MacInnes one is far more plausible.

In reply to Rob Parsons:

I saw this film at our local small cinema a few years ago and found it compelling, but there was also a Q&A with the film's director which gave an insight into some really interesting aspects of the film. It nearly didn't get made because of a difference between what Hamish wanted and what the makers felt was necessary to give it wider appeal and thus get his message across.

John2 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I always thought that his pullover became stuck in his abseil device.

Rob Exile Ward 12 Oct 2020
In reply to John2:

Yes, that was what was reported at the time.

John2 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Thank you for pointing this out. What a fascinating film. 

I have often wondered what Hamish thought of his neighbour in Glencoe, Jimmy Savile.

George Ormerod 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Thanks. Excellent documentary. I liked the trad grade for the roof of Belford hospital at the end.   

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...