Green potatoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 31 Oct 2021

Just got back from the local mini-mart and nearly all the spuds are green. I'm worried to say the least. Confusing advice on the net doesn't help.

Greenbanks 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Apparently all to do with COP21 - must be good for the environment?

Pedro50 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Did you buy some?

OP Sean Kelly 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

> Did you buy some?

Yes, but you couldn’t tell from looking at the bag. There're going back to the shop tomorrow.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Make sure you get your money back

CantClimbTom 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Green ones don't taste good. Take them back

tistimetogo 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Wouldn't risk it in case you get a bad stomach.

(Off topic but have just noticed you are the photographer who took that 2010 photo of Ben Nevis (Nearly there!). Love that photo. I had it for years as my desktop background.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Any greening could be harmful (even if cooked) as it indicates that there may be poisonous substances that could have formed within the tuber so best never to use. Bit of russian roulette iirc as it depends on quite a few variables. Best to be safe and never use any green potatoes.

If greening is extensive, dark in colour, or more than skin deep, I’ve always thrown the whole away (compost bin). However, if it’s small only surface (skin) and very light greening I’ve often just cut out the green part and cooked the tuber otherwise well. I’m not suggesting anyone should try this though. Individual sensitivity is variable. A btw I actually developed a skin sensitivity to the growing potato plant (sap) long time ago; same with tomato plants! 

hang_about 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Solanine , tastes very metallic. Cutting out the green bits doesn't help. I wouldn't eat them.

Same family as deadly nightshade.

OP Sean Kelly 01 Nov 2021
In reply to tistimetogo:

> (Off topic but have just noticed you are the photographer who took that 2010 photo of Ben Nevis (Nearly there!). Love that photo. I had it for years as my desktop background.

Yes it was a stitch of 9 images so took a bit of work. I've had a few 48" b&w prints done too, which are possibly better than the colour pic. You can make out footprints leading up to a few of the climbs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...