"Green" investments

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 01 Jul 2021

I'm looking for something to invest in that supports environmentally favourable activity. Ideas? I have some money in Abundance, which is good  but they don't have open offers currently.  Looked at Earthworm Group but seem to be no more. I want return of capital but not necessarily return on capital (although it would obviously be nice).

sbc23 01 Jul 2021
In reply to MG:

B4RN?

https://b4rn.org.uk/community/investors/

Not specifically 'green', but ethical, non-profit world-class broadband to rural communities. They use the investment, rather than commercial finance, to extend the network. Current returns are 5% pa for standard investments. Free connection (£150 / 10% return on £1500 investment) if you happen to be in the coverage areas.

BT / Openreach are not happy about a bunch of volunteer pensioners digging up gardens and connecting people and businesses to a symmetric gigabit service for £30 a month that would cost £100's or even £1000's per month on a commercial basis. 

Forest Dump 01 Jul 2021
In reply to MG:

Your local community energy org?

Or a green ISA, via Tridos bank etc

Mick r 01 Jul 2021
In reply to MG:

Here you go.  Currently yielding 6.3%, but looks like people are jumping in there's  now quite a large gap between the price and  NAV.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/g/gore-street-energy-stor...

In reply to MG:

There are a selection of funds on hl.co.uk - try searching for 'green' or 'clean energy'. I've had decent success with this one https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-r... 

Mick r 02 Jul 2021
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

Agree that HL has plenty of options. With the gravis fund though,it's only paying 3.3%, but it's top 2 investments are yielding over 5%, and are both available to retail investors.

I would just buy these 2, direct, plus the Next Energy and Foresight solar funds further down the list which are yielding 6 and 7%. Four direct investments will give some diversity, and you would be doubling your income

In reply to Mick r:

Very good point there. I've for some reason been a bit scared of direct investing and stuck to funds, I might have a look at what I'm invested in and see if there are any other good targets for buying direct rather than increasing what I've got in the funds. Thanks for the tip!

Jamie Wakeham 02 Jul 2021
In reply to MG:

Have a look at Energise Africa - they offer loans to small businesses buying solar PV / battery schemes to displace kerosene powered domestic lighting in sub-saharan Africa.  Decent returns and they have never missed a repayment for me.

Ethex is a broker for green and ethical investments, bonds and shares.

neilh 02 Jul 2021
In reply to MG:

Facebook is a reasonable bet...........low environmental foot print etc etc.

You can argue that the oil companies are an even better bet as they are having to address those issues.And remeber that the worlds evil represented by say Black Rock have recently changed their focus to recognise the risk and opportunities in environmental funds.

Depends on what you want to achieve financially.

ESG  bonds may be a better way of protecting capital.

Some of this is said with tongue in cheek.

OP MG 02 Jul 2021

Thanks all.  Some ideas to follow up here.

mutt 02 Jul 2021
In reply to MG:

How about investing in a green car? maybe you have already but my investment in a renault zoe is returning 20% ( or about £5000 per year) of savings in fuel.  Presumably if you are replacing another car then the devaluation is equal and out of the equation.

OP MG 02 Jul 2021

In reply to mutt:

You must drive a lot!  My total fuel bill is <<£2000 year!  The next car will be electric of some sort I imagine but I need to wear the current one out first.

In reply to MG:

Deploying some cynicism, invest in Lithium mining, mining is clearly not very green but feeds the demands of the green industry this enables it to subsidy guzzle its way to success. 

aln 04 Jul 2021
In reply to MG:

> You must drive a lot! 

I do 60+ miles a day, 6 days a week for work. I wish they'd give us electric vans. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...