Great birds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 05 May 2021

Had a few really good early morning dog walks. Amazing views of the tawny owl. And linnets are always good to see. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

This pheasant is always in the same place and is a right show off. Song thrush are also always great to see - and hear

And back in my garden, a snoozing sparrow chick and young blackbird. 

And this morning, cracking views of wheatear. Think this one got a leather jacket. 

And I’ve saved the best till last, some of you might want to zoom in and have a good look. I spotted ten, eight flew off, but more joined them - 30 in total. 

A better photo

And more. There were flighty and a good way off. Great way to start your day!  

Lots of whitethroats as well. Yellowhammers, pied wagtails, swallows, few house Martin. Been hearing (and glimpsing) singing goldcrests. And grey partridge.  

Myfyr Tomos 05 May 2021

Crikey! We get quite excited when we see a pair up here nowadays.

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

I’ve heard they stop off and hang about for a week or so on their journey up north. The field is about 1/4 mile from the M6 but is a high piece of land, an ex colliery. Must be loads of worms. Easily spooked though, hard to get good photos. Couple miles from my house. These lovely mornings  are not to be missed and I’ve regularly been out by 6, or earlier. Once ‘summer’ arrives weather gets shite - spring is best - soak it up whilst we can!

Post edited at 22:45
 Michael Hood 05 May 2021

Am I right in thinking those are Whimbrels (rather than Curlew)?

smbnji 05 May 2021

Amazing! Any tips for spotting Tawnys?

In reply to smbnji:

Yes. I reckon that once the eggs hatch the female kicks the male out of the nest (they might eat the chicks). So they hang about nearby. Small birds don’t like them so sound their alarm call if one is nearby. So, you need a wooded area (deciduous mainly) and listening for smaller birds getting agitated. Then have a good look. It might be a squirrel , but could be an owl. They are usually on a branch tucked up against the trunk, but not always. 

In reply to Michael Hood:

Spot on. They might be there for a few more days. Only a few miles from Standish junction on M6. 
Chisnall Hall Nature Reserve. It’s an old pit. 

Post edited at 23:22
 pog100 06 May 2021

Seem to be on the move this week, reports all over the place. We saw one at Orgreave and 10 were reported at St Aidan's, near Leeds.

Not so nice birds - I looked out onto the street yesterday to see a Black Backed Gull tearing apart what looked like a female Blackbird. It was bizarre.

In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Could have been a young blackbird (which look like females).  I once saw a magpie do the same with a starling - quite gruesome in a way coz they don't do a quick kill like a raptor might.

Michael Hood 06 May 2021
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Gulls are scavenging opportunists so they'll eat anything they can get hold of; some of their behaviour more resembles raptors - I remember being surprised many years ago by a film of a great black backed gull basically flying down a puffin and catching it mid-air.

Queenie 06 May 2021

Apologies for the poor quality photos. My SIL snapped this newly fledged albino starling, being tended to in her garden. I do wonder whether it will be able to live a normal life, find a mate etc...

In reply to Queenie:

Cool.  Good chance it would get predated before breeding season.

cb294 06 May 2021

I really like the resolution of you sparrow picture. What camera did you use?

CB

cb294 06 May 2021
In reply to Queenie:

That is weird. Most likely not a true albino (looks like pigmentation of legs and eye stripe/lores), but I have never seen such a strongly leucistic bird!

CB

Queenie 06 May 2021
In reply to cb294:

Thanks, yes I see what you mean. Quite a rarity!

smbnji 06 May 2021

Great stuff, ta very much!

In reply to cb294:

My brother had one the same in his garden last year. 

In reply to smbnji:

Saw the same owl this morning, but couldn’t locate another (blackbirds going crazy and no squirrel to be seen).  

Bulls Crack 06 May 2021

Another show off - the sheep was unimpressed

Post edited at 23:39

Bulls Crack 06 May 2021

Snap 

Michael Hood 07 May 2021

I was going to say 6 whimbrel there this morning but on the way back there were definitely 7. No photos because smartphone adapter not arrived yet but close enough for clear view through bins and excellent through scope.

I really am going to have to learn bird songs/calls if I get back into this. And why are song thrushes so hard to find even though they're so bloody loud 😁

In reply to Michael Hood:

Excellent!  The mint humbug head pattern looks great close up. I’ve been up since stupid o’clock, stunning morning but nowt special. Some phone photos, cuckoo flower is the light coloured one.

Lankyman 07 May 2021

Yesterday, I was watching dozens of sand martins fluttering and swooping over the Lune. They don't seem to mind the rain even when it began pelting down. A real spectacle to watch.

Michael Hood 07 May 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Can't remember which river it is but just beyond the "other" entrance to Bolton Abbey (Skipton way), you can sit on the bank and the sand martins fly into their nest holes less than 10 feet away (this was maybe 3/4 years ago, I'm assuming they're still there).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...