Government has gone too far this time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tjdodd 13 Oct 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-54523232

On what planet do these idiots live where a Cornish pasty is not a substantial meal.  It is THE substantial meal.  It can only be made into a more substantial meal by having an apple pasty stuffed with clotted cream for dessert.

Clauso 13 Oct 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

If the Liverpool boozers start offering plates of Scouse along with their pints, then the fuss about Cornish pasties will be nothing as compared to what would kick-off if their eponymous dish was denigrated in a similar way.

In reply to tjdodd:

I doubt that Liverpool pubs will be serving anything like a proper Cornish pasty.

The ridiculous thing is trying to use food as an excuse to allow pubs to stay open; just do it properly and close the damned pubs.

artif 13 Oct 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

I can see their point, that thing in the picture is classed as a cocktail pasty in our house

Neil Williams 13 Oct 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

> On what planet do these idiots live where a Cornish pasty is not a substantial meal.  It is THE substantial meal.  It can only be made into a more substantial meal by having an apple pasty stuffed with clotted cream for dessert.

Or have a Bedfordshire clanger instead, which is sort of the same thing but has both sweet and savoury in one (at opposite ends)!

In reply to captain paranoia:

> The ridiculous thing is trying to use food as an excuse to allow pubs to stay open; just do it properly and close the damned pubs.

But then also close restaurants, Costabucks etc.

In reply to Clauso:

> If the Liverpool boozers start offering plates of Scouse along with their pints

I bet at least one will.  Plate of the landlord's Mum's Scouse and a slice of cheap white bread costs next to nothing, and you just make it last

MG 13 Oct 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Much clearer, thank you. And I like pickles and beetroot. 

Doug 13 Oct 2020

When I was a student there used to be a pizza place close by that stayed open for a couple of hours later than the pubs (was closing time 10 or 10.30 mid week in the 70s?). One pizza between up to maybe 10 & we could carry on drinking for another hour or two

In reply to Neil Williams:

> But then also close restaurants, Costabucks etc

Yup.

Ridge 13 Oct 2020
In reply to artif:

> I can see their point, that thing in the picture is classed as a cocktail pasty in our house

And  eight thrice-cooked gastro-chips in a tiny imitation bucket isn't a portion of chips either!

Toerag 13 Oct 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

It used to be law here that you could only drink on a Sunday with a meal. Plates of sandwiches were very popular in certain pubs, as was drinking in private members clubs (British Legion etc.) who weren't covered by the law.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...