Google Chromecast - Help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 24 Jun 2022

I've got a ~10 year old non-smart tv, i've used a Google Chromecast for a couple of years without problems to stream from laptop or phone to the telly.

About 6 months ago the chromecast would disappear from the network every day or so and either have to be rebooted or alternatively I'd have to reboot the Wifi router, I tried doing a factory reset of the Chromecast and anything else I could think of but eventually gave up and got a new Chromecast.

Same problem.

I've changed the power lead, changed every setting I can find on the Wifi router.  

I've not used it for a few weeks and tonight it took 10 minutes rebooting it and the Wifi router, then it cut out and stopped working after 20 minutes.

I can't update the firmware on the Talktalk router - although it may be technically feasible, it seems I would have to search out an update which isn't publically available and i'm not willing to risk screwing everything up.

I've got 20Mbps download speed, the Chromecast is probably 6-8m away from the router in the next room, but nothing has moved between it working and not working.

I really like the operation of the Chromecast (find something to watch on the phone, click the icon, on comes the tv) no need for a separate remote like the Amazon Firestick.

Anything else I can try before I end up looking for a new tv???

Post edited at 21:47
 Sam W 24 Jun 2022
In reply to ablackett:

Can you get an adapter that lets you connect the Chromecast to network using cable rather than WiFi? That's what I've done with our Chromecast Audio and it works really well.

Sam W 25 Jun 2022
In reply to ablackett:

Something like this https://amzn.eu/d/jkUXWtJ

OP ablackett 25 Jun 2022
In reply to Sam W:

That looks like it would be an option, I would need something like this,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-P200-Kit-Powerline-Streaming/dp/B0755DBP53/r...

To get the ethernet cable to the chromecast also, it would however be another GF of wires loitering under/behind the tv and i'm not convinced it would work but it may be worth a shot.  Thanks.

OP ablackett 26 Jun 2022
In reply to ablackett:

I think I may have fixed it.

The chromcast was plugged into a USB power socket in an extension cable, I plugged an iPad into the same extension cable tonight and noticed it was charging intermittently, it appears something is wrong with the extension cable.

Dam it, I’ve spent 6 months cursing it, fiddling with settings replacing every part (except the plug)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...