Good news?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 30 Sep 2022

All this doom and gloom - does anyone have any good news stories to share?

I'll start - I read a few weeks ago that an effective malaria vaccine is / has been developed and can be produced very cheaply, potentially saving 100s of thousands of lives in effected countries.

I read elsewhere that climate change could result in mosquito habitats expanding further north and south, but I would think this vaccine should / could partially mitigate the impact of that.

Yanis Nayu 30 Sep 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

No. 

mrphilipoldham 30 Sep 2022

Police are digging on Saddleworth Moor after a skull has been found. Thought to possibly be Keith Bennetts. Grim, but good.

briansy 30 Sep 2022

Was listening to James O'Brien this AM and I think the penny is dropping on the madness. A shift back to centre ground politics in the UK is starting to occur and although we will have to put up with Brexit inefficiency for another while yet, I'm confident we will be back in the EU before I retire in 2039! The outlook is a hell of a lot better than it was 6 months ago. 

wintertree 30 Sep 2022

It’s raining and the summer drought is over.  The grass is green again and the sources of our local becks are marching back up into the hills.

afx22 30 Sep 2022

Crisp, cold, blue sky days on the grit are imminent.

climber34neil 30 Sep 2022

Massonfest is nearly here, just over 2 weeks away so sign up and join in!!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/masson-fest-2022-tickets-427083928527

montyjohn 30 Sep 2022

There's a new drug that's been developed that slows alzheimer's by 30%. This is the first time a drug has been developed that can slow down the deterioration.

Other drugs work by improving the function of the brain that can be improved but did nothing to slow the deterioration.

druridge 30 Sep 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

I saw a snow bunting on the beach this morning.

ThunderCat 30 Sep 2022
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Aye, just been reading that.  "Grim, but good" is a pretty apt way to describe it I think.

David Riley 01 Oct 2022

UKC doesn't like good news.  But wind was supplying 53% of our electricity just now, and fusion power is getting closer. Technology never goes backwards, it continues to improve our lives massively in every direction.

felt 01 Oct 2022

> Good news?

This features nothing else:

https://informationisbeautiful.net/beautifulnews/

David Riley 01 Oct 2022

The Pound buys more Euros than it did two years ago.

neilh 01 Oct 2022
In reply to David Riley:

It’s great the dollar also buys more £ and Euros than two years ago. ……

David Riley 01 Oct 2022
In reply to neilh:

We are doing the good news.

David Riley 01 Oct 2022

Ukraine has been inspirational.

Labour lead in polls over the brexit death cult is now 33%...?

David Riley 01 Oct 2022
In reply to David Riley:

Bolsonaro could be over.

neilh 01 Oct 2022
In reply to David Riley:

Sell my U.K. manufactured machine in USD…the real added value is made in the U.K. …pity there are not more companies doing this. 

David Riley 01 Oct 2022
In reply to neilh:

Yes, sorry, good for you, indeed.

David Riley 03 Oct 2022

Nobody here seems to think the 45p U turn is good news.

In reply to David Riley:

The change itself is good.

The incompetence behind it isn't.

OP elliot.baker 03 Oct 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

This article [1] says that: "The highest income tax rate will be 40p from April 2023. About 660,000 of the highest earners will benefit from the scrapping of the 45p rate, saving an average of £10,000 a year."

Which would imply 660,000 X £10,000 per year income tax raised from the 45% rate, which is £6.6bn

This website [2] says the government raised £915bn last year. That would mean the 45% rate is generating about 0.7% of total UK tax receipts. I thought this was interesting.

I suppose from a purely financial perspective you would need to work out whether removing the rate would generate more than £6.6bn of more tax from growing the job market / economy or whatever. But from a cultural / perception perspective it wasn't well received was it!

At the minute our government is like living in a house with parents that are getting divorced or can't agree how to parent, it's not very confidence inspiring.

[1] https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/sep/28/top-uk-earners-share-your-vie...

[2] https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8513/

dunc56 03 Oct 2022
In reply to David Riley:

Technology does go backwards if we destroy our planet by bombing us to the Stone Age.

how’s about that for some doom.

OP elliot.baker 03 Oct 2022
In reply to dunc56:

hang on hang on this is the "good news" thread not the ubiquitous doom and gloom thread! Take your doom-ing somewhere else! 😜

Max factor 03 Oct 2022
In reply to dunc56:

Or the Dark Ages. Which on the positive side were an excellent time for travelling minstrels and gravediggers.  

wintertree 03 Oct 2022

Autumn.

I think we're shaping up to have the autumn colours of a generation given the summer conditions.  If we can just managed for another 2-3 weeks without a former tropical storm crossing the Atlantic to rip all the leaves off, it's going to be something else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...