Going floppy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/16/extinction-rebellion-go...

“We have asked them to stop being floppy. And that might seem like a silly thing to say, but when we arrest them and pick them up, they go all floppy, which is why you see four or five officers carrying them away. It’s a complete waste of officers’ time, and a complete pain in the neck.” We’re not making them go floppy. They’re just sort of being a nuisance.”

I have sympathy for their cause to a degree , I don't agree with their tactics in the protests of shutting down public transport etc....

It is like a read from Brass eye though and made me smile.

TWS

tjdodd 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Phew, I was worried this was going to be about the outcome of your "date".

girlymonkey 17 Sep 2020

I learnt this trick as a child. My brother used to try to pick me up and chuck me around (not in a friendly way!!), so I soon learnt where and how to hit hard and also how to go floppy and not be picked up. Not a bad skill to know!

I would agree that shutting down public transport seems a bit counter productive, but I generally have quite a bit of sympathy for them. You don't get change from this government by playing nicely!

In reply to tjdodd:

> Phew, I was worried this was going to be about the outcome of your "date".

There really wouldn't be any issue with that .

Believe me 

Plays a tiny air accordion 

:-D

Post edited at 09:05
 ptrickey 17 Sep 2020

I'm involved in Extinction Rebellion. f coronavirus has shown us anything it is that normal service can be halted for the benefit of human survival. The climate emergency is a larger threat to all life than coronavirus and the Extinction Rebellion protests are supposed to disrupt everyday life. Petitions and non-disruptive demonstrations by 'green' movements haven't made enough difference in the past decades we have known about this existential threat. We cannot go back to normal as it is normal which is the problem. If it takes disrupting people's everyday lives, wasting police and court time to get rapid action on the climate emergency the cost is worth it in my opinion, compared to the long term cost of inaction which will be larger and catastrophic to all life.

Derry 17 Sep 2020

It’s a complete waste of officers’ time, and a complete pain in the neck.” We’re not making them go floppy. They’re just sort of being a nuisance.”

hilarious, do they not realise that this is the whole point? It's not like they're kicking around a skatepark underage drinking, they are doing it on purpose to disrupt things. 

Post edited at 10:41
In reply to Derry:

>  It’s a complete waste of officers’ time, and a complete pain in the neck.” We’re not making them go floppy. They’re just sort of being a nuisance.”

> hilarious, do they not realise that this is the whole point? It's not like they're kicking around a skatepark underage drinking, they are doing it on purpose to disrupt things. 

I know it's a bit like saying 

"These enemy soldiers keep on putting up a fight,  we're shooting at them and they just wont give up fighting us"

marsbar 17 Sep 2020

I must admit I laughed and laughed when I read this.  

It's not like they are kicking.  

Thunderbird7 17 Sep 2020

For goodness sake! Do they not even have the good grace to be arrested properly? Presumably the burglars and bank robbers just stand still and say "it''s a fair cop, you've got me banged to rights guv" as soon as the nearest constable says "ello, ello, ello"?

In reply to Thunderbird7:

... 'Yeah, fair dos, cop, please arrest me. I'll do everything I can now to help you get those handcuffs on ...'

cb294 17 Sep 2020
In reply to ptrickey:

This is the best post on the subject I have read in a long time. Keep up the good work!

CB

Alkis 17 Sep 2020

My first thought was that I was reading brass eye. My second thought was that someone had put something good in my coffee. 🤣

wintertree 17 Sep 2020

It turns out toddlers instinctively know how to do this as well...

Babika 17 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> It turns out toddlers instinctively know how to do this as well...

My toddler used to go rigd when I tried to put him in the pushchair. It was a nightmare. Floppy would have been more helpful.

Maybe the cops should just get some big wheelbarrows?

Lord_ash2000 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Babika:

> Maybe the cops should just get some big wheelbarrows?

It's not the worst idea, I was thinking maybe just have a tarpaulin they are rolled/dragged onto and then pulled into the police van on that.

Timmd 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Babika:

I have some friends (older and younger siblings) who've talked about having a knee pressed on their middle to get them into the push chair and not liking it much, seems to have been an older sibling thing to do that.

Post edited at 22:13
Removed User 18 Sep 2020

It's a technique that goes back to at least the 60's for exactly the reasons the cops despise it. It not only soaks up man power, it plays on the legality of restraining someone and leaving in place.

There's a step further sometimes used but seen as extreme which is for the protester to also close their eyes, feigning losing consciousness, but a bit like taking the fetal position before a bear, easier said than done.

Thunderbird7 18 Sep 2020

I just wish these cops would stop carping on about the numbers being used to arrest people. The extra numbers of police being used whould be celebrated as a national success story...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...